It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honda adds 437,000 cars to global air bag recall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Honda adds 437,000 cars to global air bag recall

finance.yahoo.com

Honda Motor Co. is adding 437,000 vehicles to its 15-month-old global recall for faulty air bags in the latest quality problem to hit a Japanese automaker.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Hmmm. First Toyota recalls millions of cars to fix faulty gas pedals. Now Honda is recalling thousands of cars to fix air bags. This is starting to seem fishy to me. Some part of me says there is an American conspiracy to weaken the perception of foreign automobiles so that Americans will start buying Fords and GMs. Who knows whats next, maybe Volkswagen or Nissan will be next on the recall list?

finance.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Did you forget that the Japanese don't want US military presence??
Second line here... Ever since the new Japanese gov have been in power, scandal upon scandal have rained on Japan.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fleetlord

Recalls are normal. My Colorado pick up had a recall for brake lights that would just quit.

The coverage of the recalls is another thing all together.

I found it HIGHLY suspicious on all the coverage.

(Donning Tinfoil Hat) Wasn't it the Japanese that first came out about the 9/11 attacks needing to be investigated?

(Remove Tinfoil Hat) Now where was I?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
As someone who works in QM and am in master's in QA program right now, I have been following these types of stories closely. And as much as I love a good conspiracy, I think there are other reasons for these issues, mainly company's w/ hierarchical structures and a culture in which it is unsafe for underlings (for lack of a better word) to directly communicate safety issues upstream. Additionally, this has followed a rapid expansion of the two companies as the US ones imploded, and it seems their quality efforts may not have been able to keep up. Plus at least for Toyota (who are gods in the QM world, just look at how many "The Toyota way to blank" books are out there using their QM philosophy in other feilds) may have been their ultimate undoing. It must have seemed that such a large problem could not have been happening, their Toyota right?! Interestingly, these issues are not just auto related; a recent Japanese airline went under for management issues as have other Japanese firms due to quality related mishaps.
t
Think a company's culture can't shift to that degree? Ponder this: When the Ford (I think Ford; might have been another of the big 3) company toured Toyota to discover how they were making such exceptional cars, they were told they followed a bible, a certain American book written by the founder of Ford! The CEO found a copy in a used book store, no one running the place even knew about it.

Just my semi-educated opinion....

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I see your point as a potential conspiracy against the Japanese automotive companies. Simply take a look at the theme of Howie Long in those Chevy TV ads and how they're hawking their products comparing themselves to Toyota or Honda.

They don't make motorcycles anyway, which is my passion.

Reason being the proven track record of my Hondas, motorcycles and cars vs my 98 Jeep, my only American vehicle.

I perform all of the routine maintenance on my vehicles, bikes and cars.

No problems with the Hondas, even with my 1975 Honda CB 550 motorcycle, everything still works !
Not problem with my wife's Honda Pilot SUV or my Acura TSX.

Whereas with the Jeep, though great off road, and loads of fun with a 5 speed and posi, as it ages, it seems as if every winter a new problem manifests itself....fortunately I'm good at troubleshooting !
I do love my Jeep though, it's an old friend that I can't let down.
Beancounters be damned, they are the cause for the Jeeps lack of quality. Great design but cost reduced down to being cheaply made.

But as a faithful Honda owner, it would take a lot more than a few recalls to convince me to go and invest my money in a GM,Ford or Chrysler product after the experience I've had with my Jeep vs the Hondas.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I would also keep an eye on further events. Something is seriously amiss here. Nothing to do with the collapse of GM etc? Could it be an effort to ensure they dont take the lead and profit stretching the financial gap even further between them and the US?
Or could the current global collapse in the automotive industry be actually paving the way ahead for a new way?
Possibly aviation and rail?

S+F

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The reason that japan and china are so efficient in manufacturing is because of Kaizen. I work in manufacturing and we adopted this process.
Heres a couple of links if anyones interested
www.google.co.uk... 0wT00s2uCw&usg=AFQjCNGYXmiXgcmOHPP4P3_p14FeHIFZYA
www.google.co.uk... q=kaizen&ei=3-hyS7-7NI6I0wT00s2uCw&usg=AFQjCNGfG-28Q03H4bHdEgEBfiC_KT5k-w

Believe me it really does make a difference

new topics

top topics

join