It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rahm Emanuel Under Fire for "F*ing Retarded" Comment.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Preface: Retarded, adjective, sometimes offensive : slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress.

Rahm Emanuel, under fire for using "f-ing retarded" in a strategy session months ago, met Wednesday at the White House with Special Olympics head Tim Shriver and other advocates for the disabled to try to quell the controversy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.foxnews.com...

Really? A Retard Summit?

White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel's verbal indiscretion -- referring to some liberal activists as "f**king retarded" -- has shined a spotlight on just how pervasive the R-word is in American conversation, and how offensive it can be for millions of Americans.

Source: abcnews.go.com...

Now it's the R Word? Cmon! Give me a break!

On yesterday's episode of "The Rush Limbaugh Show," the right-wing icon used the firestorm surrounding Obama's chief of staff as cover to blast liberal activists as "retards,” and suggest a "retard summit" is in the offing at the White House.

Source: www.nydailynews.com... f91C5S0s

Good GOD! Rush actually AGREES with Rahm?!?

Welcome to the circus boys and girls. Here, let me laugh at your supposed freedom of speech.
Can't say anything that might offend somebody, oh heavens no!

Listen, Rahm Emanuel is a snake in the grass. I wouldn't trust this freak as far as I could throw him. But this "controversy" around a phrase that most 8th graders use with regularity? Calling it the "R Word"? No, a line has to be drawn somewhere for freedom of speech, and calling someone "F*ing Retarded" is a part of that freedom of speech. People really need to grow some skin.

Of course the Right want's Emanuel fired over the comment. The right want's this administration to fail. So they will take anything they can as a call to have someone fired. I am sure that they probably called for Press Secretary Robert Gibbs to be ousted for giving the press a daily briefing.

People need to cut out this bull dunk non offensive speech crap. It's a detriment to our freedoms. You should be allowed to say something without fear that you are going to offend somebody or some group. Screw that, I say if you aren't saying something that is offensive to someone, you aren't doing your job.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I believe Colbert said the exact same thing about Palin on his show. He better hope she's not a litigious retard because that is slander and she could sue him for his public remarks about her.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
the simple fact is he was "on the clock" when saying that. If I called a client a name at work I would be fired on the spot. I like how the more important your job is, the less accountable you become.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
So let me get this straight here...she sat right there with Fatty Limbaugh laughing it up while he called liberals retards and he said it like 5 times. As soon as she calls for his resignation, I will be able to take here seriously. For a moment. I do not understand what it is with this woman and hypocrisy. It is almost like someone wished really hard for a personification of the word and poof, we got her.

[edit on 2/10/10 by Lillydale]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I don't understand why they use that word to describe mentally challenged individuals. Why not use the world, "Slow", "MC" short for mentally challenged. Why not come up with a new word all together and leave retarded to describe the rest of us? I think those who get offended should come up with a new name for the condition that effects many. The reason it's used is because it does offend or it's a bad word just like the "N" word. No one would use them when expressing anger if they were nice words.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by ViperFoxBat]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
So now Its now inappropriate to describe my ignition timing on my cars/motorcycles any longer as advanced/retarded ?

Give me a break, this ranks pretty high on the BS scale.

That's why I can't find the time for these mindless political finger pointing tv programs. And people watch this political gossip on a daily basis ?

More brainwashing to keep people from focusing upon the real issues facing our country..

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Of course the Right want's Emanuel fired over the comment. The right want's this administration to fail. So they will take anything they can as a call to have someone fired.

Actually, many on the left want him fired as well. It is the "liberals" who've turned politically correct speech into a tool of oppression and division.

Yes, the right wants this far-left administration to fail in its subversion of the Constitution.

But, more often than not, it is thin-skinned liberals who call for, and get, apologies and firings after someone of opposing ideology speaks their mind.

Deny ignorance.

jw

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I think someone needs to get Rahm in front of a camera and demand he apologise to liberal activists.

but I also think that this whole thing is retarded to begin with...and he is right frankly...some of the far left loonies are just as f-ing retarded as the far right wingnuts.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
Yes, the right wants this far-left administration to fail in its subversion of the Constitution.

--and will burn down the country and destroy the whole concept of democracy to do so.

paybacks a bitch, but worse yet...the republicans have shown that no matter what, if the opposition party is in power, fillibuster absolutely everything no matter what.

Do you honestly not think this is now the standard practice for if and when the dems are out of power?

The government is over, dead, the now standard abuse of the fillibuster as a tool to destroy any movement in any direction is the norm now..we are done.

-edit - retarded spelling-

[edit on 10-2-2010 by SaturnFX]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Special Olympics participants aren't retarded, they're special.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lillydale
So let me get this straight here...she sat right there with Fatty Limbaugh laughing it up while he called liberals retards and he said it like 5 times. As soon as she calls for his resignation, I will be able to take here seriously. For a moment. I do not understand what it is with this woman and hypocrisy. It is almost like someone wished really hard for a personification of the word and poof, we got her.

[edit on 2/10/10 by Lillydale]

Its ok if its used in satire...to make a joke.

so, theoretically, all Rahm has to do is come out and say "just kidding".

alternatively...he could come out and say that many are by defination retarded and more than likely procreating also, therefore he was stating facts in the same way as if he called some of them jogging vegans

Hey Sarah...cheers for the clarity when its cool to use the word...jokes are ok so its not the word you object to obviously.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I just think that if you are a red blooded American there is a certain thing that you are supposed to be able to do in this country. It's called saying whatever the hell you want to say. It's our right as free people.

People shouldn't worry about being fired or having to resign for stupid things they say. That's "F*ing Retarded"

I think he was calling a spade a spade and when people are being "F*ing Retarded" well, you call them on it.

Politically correct BS goes way too far.

Believe me, Rahm Emanuel is not one that I want to defend. I don't like this guy. He just is creepy, like as in loner serial killer creepy. He looks like the kind of guy that would keep you down in a pit and say "It puts the lotion on it's skin or it get's the hose again." So no, I don't want to be defending him. What I want to defend is his right to say whatever he feels.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
I believe Colbert said the exact same thing about Palin on his show. He better hope she's not a litigious retard because that is slander and she could sue him for his public remarks about her.

Here's the link to the Colbert clip: www.colbertnation.com...

The thing is that Sarah Palin claims that Rush Limbaugh was using the term retarded in a satirical fashion (Which he obviously wasn't)

And when Colbert called Palin "f#%king retarded" he did so in a satirical fashion.

Well... maybe he meant it, but he does run a show based on satire, so if Palin decided to go after him he has an obvious defense.

I really, really hope she does go after him because he would have a field day with it, but I doubt that she will

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by jdub297

--and will burn down the country and destroy the whole concept of democracy to do so.

Earth to saturnfx: Exactly the same thing the left was doing during the entire Bush administration. Didn't matter how it affected the country, as long as it could help bring Bush down.

paybacks a bitch, but worse yet...the republicans have shown that no matter what, if the opposition party is in power, fillibuster absolutely everything no matter what.

Again, which party was it that threatened and filibuster almost everything the republicans tried to do during the last administration, plus nominations?

Yes, for those with extremely short memories, saturnfx, payback can be a bitch...

[edit on 2/10/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperFoxBat
I don't understand why they use that word to describe mentally challenged individuals. Why not use the world, "Slow", "MC" short for mentally challenged. Why not come up with a new word all together and leave retarded to describe the rest of us? I think those who get offended should come up with a new name for the condition that effects many. The reason it's used is because it does offend or it's a bad word just like the "N" word. No one would use them when expressing anger if they were nice words.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by ViperFoxBat]

Because it is the MEDICAL definition of the symptoms/disorder that they suffer from/experience. Just like the term 'faggot' and many other nice words that have been twisted by speech. It's slang form is terrible but that doesn't mean we need to fear speaking the word.

Of course, its use in this sense was uncalled for. But I will still use the word 'retarded' when describing someone who is, well, retarded! I will NOT use the term 'the R word'. EVER (well, just did but you won't see me do it again.)

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Yes, for those with extremely short memories, saturnfx, payback can be a bitch...

Doh! How dare you! You used a word in a derrogatory way! Bitch is what I have probably sleeping comfortably on the floor in front of my couch at this moment while I'm at work. My female beagle probably would not appreciate that the term that has been used to describe the females of her species for so long is being used in such a manner.

THEY ARE WORDS PEOPLE. This country is supposed to be based on some set in stone beliefs. Freedom of speech was one if I'm not mistaken. Retarded, retard (etc.) is a medical term. People, being people, twist it into bad things. Just like with the term 'gay'. Used to mean happy and so on. Now it's a 'bad' word. Now there are commercials out slamming kids for using the term like 'that is so gay'. Of course they don't mean it in a good way but I'm sick of the bs.

As another poster said. People need to thicken their skins up a bit and stop the bleeding heart movement about WORDS!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg

Originally posted by centurion1211

Doh! How dare you! You used a word in a derrogatory way! Bitch is what I have probably sleeping comfortably on the floor in front of my couch at this moment while I'm at work. My female beagle probably would not appreciate that the term that has been used to describe the females of her species for so long is being used in such a manner.

THEY ARE WORDS PEOPLE. This country is supposed to be based on some set in stone beliefs. Freedom of speech was one if I'm not mistaken. Retarded, retard (etc.) is a medical term. People, being people, twist it into bad things. Just like with the term 'gay'. Used to mean happy and so on. Now it's a 'bad' word. Now there are commercials out slamming kids for using the term like 'that is so gay'. Of course they don't mean it in a good way but I'm sick of the bs.

As another poster said. People need to thicken their skins up a bit and stop the bleeding heart movement about WORDS!

Yes, a word quoted from saturnfx's post.

So what?

Wait! You actually sound like you are against political correctness.

top topics

join