It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The overview effect. Possible evidence for life's greater meaning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The Effect
The overview effect is a name given to the phenomenon reportedly experienced by many astronauts while they are in space.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12035e757e9f.jpg[/atsimg]

From wiki:

Astronauts who have experienced this state often report that their consciousness has been profoundly, permanently altered towards feelings of peace, connectedness,[3] and heightened awareness of humanity's place in the cosmos. Third-hand observers of these individuals may also report a noticeable difference in attitude

Edgar Mitchell of Apollo 14 fame was so affected by what he had felt that he founded the Institute of Noetic Sciences or 'IONS' to 'explore the frontiers of consciousness.'

Something is happening to people who go into space. But what?

Whether the change is accidental and measurable or profound and spiritual remains to be seen. Further study us needed before a definitive conclusion can be reached but In my opinion, this is both very important and fascinating

Possible explanations.

I think the possible explanations can be grouped into two seperate catagories.

1.The effect could be just an accident caused by being in space and the way it affects a human brain. A measurable change in a person's physiology which induces the apparent spiritual experience. It could be caused by micro-gravity environments affecting the workings of the brain or long and hightened exposures to cosmic radiation. In this case, the conclusion would be that the overview effect is nothing more than a psycological coincidence and would likely be equally attainable via direct stimulation of a specific part of the brain or mixture of endorphins.

Or

2.The effect could be a naturally occurring mechanism for rewarding sentient beings for leaving their home planet and reaching space, which is an imporant milestone in any civilization's progression and an important step in understanding the universe. If we have within us, an inherant mechanism to purposfully enhance and change our consciousness when we are viewing the Earth from space then the implications are enourmous.

A big IF and the implications for humanity.

IF the latter is true then we are dealing with something truely monumental and something which raises some staggering questions.

Where does it come from?
Evolution would be incapable of explaining the overview effect for obvious reasons.

Was it built into us from the start on a genetic level or does this trancend the physical and relate only to subjective conscious experience?

Why is it there?

Do we, as a species, have a goal or destiny which we should try and fulfill? Does the overview effect serve as notification of us reaching a particular milestone and encourage the qualities needed to continue successfully?

Before I flew I was already aware of how small and vulnerable our planet is; but only when I saw it from space, in all its ineffable beauty and fragility, did I realize that human kind's most urgent task is to cherish and preserve it for future generations. - Sigmund Jähn, German Democratic Republic

What happens when everyone gets to go into space?

Are we going to see a mass shift in consciousness when enough people have been into space? Is this a necesary step in advancing our civilization?

I'm going to leave it there as to go any further is to evoke deities, ancient astronauts or consciousness fields and that type of speculation is best suited for group discussion.

This definately warrants further study and in my opinion could offer the first evidence for a greater meaning to human existence.

linkys:
www.jstor.org...

www.dailygalaxy.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.universetoday.com...

www.solarviews.com...

visibleearth.nasa.gov...

www.noetic.org...

Thanks to predator0187 for their thread and the information it provided.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Chonx]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Awesome thread. S & F Looking forward to exploring your links. Very interesting.

As my Dad used to say, " We are one of a billion mites traveling on a cinder through the vastness of space."

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Thanks I'm eager to hear yours and other member's opinions on this.
I hope to clarify whether this idea has merit or not...

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Chonx]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
A shameless bump....

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
A final effort at a bump.

anyone?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Maybe when in astronaut looks down upon earth from space they see no boundaries. By boundaries I mean our words such as governments and countries. (not promoting one world government at all) Rather they see us as a whole, the human race.

This in return, lets them see that peace, connectedness, and so on is the answer. Because we all know the destruction through war and such is doing to our beloved planet. Maybe when they are up there looking down, they realize how special Earth is.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I thank you for posting this! It's truly interesting and amazing.
Just viewing pictures or videos of our lovely planet Earth "changes" me. It makes me feel how small we truly are and how beautiful our planet and universe truly is. Just look at our planet and think - We as a species evolved here and have fought our way to the top as the dominant species.

S+F!

~Renarism

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Renarism]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Your post has a wiki excerpt which contains the word "connectedness". I wonder if the feeling of dis-connectedness, while being so far from loved ones, could just result in the "overview effect"? You know the feelings of being reunited with a friend or family member, after a long separation?

Then there is the aspect of being in a dangerous situation, which could realistically be life threatening. How many have received a spiritual awakening from war, auto accidents or NDE?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

I have never been to space but I have experienced this feeling brought about by some shamanic practices. Many have experienced this feeling thru religious, meditative, hallucinogens etc.

This realization is just one of many experienced by "mystics" both contemporary and ancient.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

But this happens a lot to astronauts and has such a big one off effect that it's noticeable to their friends and family when they return. My point is that this seems to be a greater effect than the feelings of 'conectedness' which can be achieved in other ways.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Earth is a negative planet because of the negative collective thoughts. If the hypothesis of thought being interconnected creative energy is correct, then the action of leaving earth is a method of reprieving from earth negativity.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by GrandKitaro777]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The feeling of one's insignificance is evoked even by staring at the picture, on how small and young we really are. Our homeworld has been around for ages, and despite all that had happened - wars, disasters, etc - it had given us shelter in cold remote loneliness of space.

It was Earth that we breathe, lived and loved. Alone we are nothing, but combined as one, despite our differences, we are really one race, one big family. Earth is our home, despite its ugliness, the beauty overrides everything else.

This is a pearl beyond any price we must cherish and ensure it remains the same or be better, for the next generations to come, to experience the beauty of Planet Earth, and of the gift of life....

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandKitaro777

That is something I did not consider. That the effect may be due to something inhibiting being taken away, as opposed to something else being added or activated.

thanks.

top topics

join