It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

something going on at the south pole?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Hi all I'm no expert in any of this by a long chalk but find it fascinating all the same... noticed a fair bit of chat going on about this today on some forums..

Anyone able to shed some light on whether this is normal or cause for some concern?

www2.nict.go.jp...

i47.tinypic.com... (screenshot original link is no longer there)

I will try to find out some more info but the doomsayers seem to be in a bit of a flap..

Regards

berth

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
You tube video of the sequence here

www.youtube.com...

cheers

b

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by badBERTHA

What is the chat about? You posted a question and a screen print, but absolutely no synopsis of what it is about. I cannot comment because I have no idea on what you are wondering if there is any concern over?
Please add some comments as to what you think this is about or something !! Even with the youtube video, unless you are an avid observer of SOHO and magentosphere this means nothing to me.
What do you think is going on?

[edit on 8-2-2010 by nepafogo]

Maybe post the other forums so we can get an idea of what this is all about and why the interest?

[edit on 8-2-2010 by nepafogo]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I can't offer any help deciphering this, but star and flag so maybe someone who can will see it...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nepafogo

Hi sorry I was kind of hoping the brains who visit here might be able to shed some light on this .. I'll get my intellectual water wings on and jump in and see if I can come back with a summary..

back in a mo

b

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
There was a thread a few days ago about a solar flare that was aimed at the Earth. It was predicted to cause some magnetosphere interference and some cool aurora borealis (sp?).

This is also an active sun cycle, so this doesn't seem unusual.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I am no expert either but there was a pretty strong solar wind hitting Earth in the past day or so. I believe there was all kinds of stuff coming off of sunspot 1045 (it is huge in size) and there was at least one M-class flare heading toward us. My guess is that screen cap was taken when those particles were hitting earth.

I've seen the field go all crazy before, I believe it is rather common. The pressure has gotten really high like that before too, again common.

What is unusual is I do not recall the pressure going so low immediately following a storm. If you look now (21:45UTC), the pressure is very low, and the field is very 'tangled' looking. I guess it is worth keeping an eye on now that the sun is waking up!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

This could be the course of it i remember seeing this the other day.

UPDATE: There is a gap in SOHO image data spanning the time of the eruption. At present, there is no sign of a major CME heading toward Earth, but a lesser cloud could be en route. Polar sky watchers should be alert for auroras on or about Feb. 8th.

LINKspaceweather.com...
Hope that helps S&F.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I have slow dial up but this is probably why everynation in the world is there watching an object that actually picks up speed and then STOPS.
It is 20 miles wide and apparently a huge threat.

I got my intel from Steve Quayle & Co., many guests, who would know.

You may want to look up and listen to his June 8/09 show!

He's done quite a few shows on this little problem.

S&F Bertha!!!!!

ITS NOT ABOUT THE SUN.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by dgtempe]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I have slow dial up but this is probably why everynation in the world is there watching an object that actually picks up speed and then STOPS.
It is 20 miles wide and apparently a huge threat.

I got my intel from Steve Quayle & Co., many guests, who would know.

You may want to look up and listen to his June 8/09 show!

He's done quite a few shows on this little problem.

S&F Bertha!!!!!

ITS NOT ABOUT THE SUN.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by dgtempe]

could you give more information please?
its interesting

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

Thanks just stumbled onto that, there's just too much jargon, non info and whakos making comments on the other forums to decipher anything specific relating to the images in first post. What does seem to be indicated is that the sun had a bit of a hissyfit yesterday and the magnetosphere has been doing some unusual (but not unheard of, or so it seems) things since.

Here is one post by a member Xenus which is quite interesting

Quote.

These are NOT normal CMEs...

If you go to soho
[link to sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov]

Use the 284 cam and choose 200 images you can clearly see the sun has adopted two STREAMS of energy at exactly opposite sides of the sun.

Now compare the 284 images with lasco 3 and you can see the two streams of energy. These are not normal CMEs and more like rivers of plasma flowing off of the sun being caused by something that is pulling from BOTH SIDES.

This means it's BIGGER than our solar system which would mean it's our Galaxy or bigger.

Dark rift?

`
Good reasoning and rational thinking, makes me very happy when there are still people capable of such thoughts. It indeed is bigger than our solar system and it's already inside. It seems to be a pocket of hot plasma that we drifted into/it drifted into our solar system, or both. It's not bigger than the galaxy, if NASA's estimates are correct, more than 10 light years across. But I am assuming that they are indeed talking about the same dense plasma that has entered our solar system. It could be something else, it's hard to be sure when the pieces are scattered around as they are and the terms are all changed/altered.

It could be smaller, it could be larger, regardless it's here and affecting the solar system if you haven't noticed already. Plasma, I love that word, before last year it was merely something out of sci-fi for me, but now I know otherwise. It's real and everywhere, plasma is a state, the true state of the universe. Gases, liquids and solids are low energy/cold plasma, we are the result of plasma. Mix dust which is abundant with plasma and it changes structure into a crystalline one, cool that down and you get a comet/asteroid. Hence the fireballs you see as they heat up due to friction against our atmosphere, changing the gases into plasma and perhaps even itself changing states into plasma too, like when they get close to the sun and flare up.

Fusion = creating energy from matter
Plasma = creating matter from energy

Plasma is very, very complicated, with many variables.

In physics and chemistry, plasma is a gas, in which a certain proportion of its particles are ionized. The presence of a non-negligible number of charge carriers makes the plasma electrically conductive so that it responds strongly to electromagnetic fields. Plasma therefore has properties quite unlike those of solids, liquids, or gases and is considered to be a distinct state of matter. Like gas, plasma does not have a definite shape or a definite volume unless enclosed in a container; unlike gas, in the influence of a magnetic field, it may form structures such as filaments, beams and double layers (see section 3, below). Some common plasmas are fire, lightning, and the Sun.
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

The plasma article on Wikipedia has been updated in incorporate a lot of new information, thanks to plasma physicists and electrical engineers.

Will continue to see if I can gleam any more precise info.. regards

b

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Just the remnants of the CME hitting the Magnetosphere of Earth, with the Magnetic Fields responding accordingly. All normal and nothing out of the ordinary.
The only shame being Antarctica is still in Mid-Summer at the South Pole, so the Southern Aurora wouldn't have been visible to observers. The Northern Latitudes would have seen a great show though (and have been doing from this activity the past few days.)

www.spaceweather.com will have some images in the coming day or two from Norway, Sweden and Alaska more than likely.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The best person i know of on ATS that could help answer some questions you have on this is Phage he seems to have good answers for this stuff.
Me im just learning like most but the Sun has been very strange of late.

THANKYOU

new topics

top topics

join