It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ID cards to be rolled out in London

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
I think that you're getting carried away with yourself.

thankyou, please watch from 1:23 onwards, especially the part about where they won over the food and drug administration 3 years ago.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
As long as the State can charge for the ID card then it has to be about making money and control over the masses.

How long before someone claims that it is disloyal to the nation not to get a new ID card and pay for it? I can just imagine the many ways they could extort citizens to comply with a new ID and of course pay for it.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I'm already well aware of the RFID chip and the conspiracy theories surrounding it. That doesn't mean that I believe that it will ever happen, and it's certainly not the same thing as having to show identification if you're ever stopped by the police for whatever reason

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Not every kid wants a drivers license, or wants to carry their passport around when drinking, and not every establishment supports the pass scheme. This is an official way to get round all of that. As long as you have a passport (which most folks do), they can get this document that acts as a passport within the EU, but is far cheaper, and is an official form of ID (as opposed to a pass scheme).

This can't be abused by the government any more than any of those alternatives you mention, but clearly has its advantages to the holder.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

I read a while back that these cards are only for the non-British but if you are British and wanted one then you ccan have one.... have they changed it now?

Edit: Ok, so i just read that this card can be used instead of a passport when travelling in Europe... cheaper isn't it???

Hmmmm i dunno....

[edit on 8-2-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

But I have never had to prove who I am to the police, so why do I need to carry a card now? What valid reason can you give me that says I should carry an ID card? Just because you have to carry one is not a valid reason for me to carry one.

The way it will work is, once everyone has a card it'll then become an offence to not carry it, and then an offence to not show it on demand.

Not long ago I had the right to remain silent if stopped by the police, I had a right to not incriminate myself, I now no longer have that right... (not that I have ever been asked to prove who I am) but it is an ugly truth that while the UK cut back the numbers of police they are looking for other ways to control the population..

The changes are happening by small increments and changes to our laws are eroding civil liberties.. While the implementation and police training behind it is so poor, and unclear as evidenced in people being arrested for taking pictures of the police, or having their pictures deleted from their digital cameras when they have done nothing illegal that would allow the police to intrude in their private lives.

This unwarranted intrusion by the police into people private lives is increasing, stop and search for no reason in the UK is on the rise, police abuse their powers and I for one do not want to hand them more power in the form of an ID card.

It is strange that you can not see losing a freedom I already have is wrong simply because you have not experience that freedom.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

kid wants a drivers license, or wants to carry their passport around when drinking, and not every establishment supports the pass scheme. This is an official way to get round all of that. As long as you have a passport (which most folks do), they can get this document that acts as a passport within the EU, but is far cheaper, and is an official form of ID (as opposed to a pass scheme).

This can't be abused by the government any more than any of those alternatives you mention, but clearly has its advantages to the holder.

Then why not make the current ID card excepted by all establishments so that uni students can get their booze ????

I am 37 years old... i DONT need or want a card to get booze!!!

Besides... this is really a pathetic argument for a national ID card... Yeah lets spend millions of tax payers money on a scheme that won’t stop terror but WILL allow uni students to get drunk on a Friday night...

And as for the travelling around Europe argument.... You need a passport to get the damn thing in the first place... so why not just use your passport?!?!?

I have not lost a passport in my life... i only know of one person who has ever lost a passport... it’s not like passport loss is some epidemic that sweeping the country...

I mean... come on... you need a stronger argument than that to convince me!!!

<< 1   >>

join