It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choice of 7-year-old as samba queen causes uproar in Brazil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Choice of 7-year-old as samba queen causes uproar in Brazil

www.guardian.co.uk

Choice of 7-year-old as samba queen causes uproar in BrazilRio's carnival is traditionally the preserve of TV soap opera stars
Buzz up!
Digg it
Tom Phillips The Observer, Sunday 7 February 2010 Article historyA decision by one of Rio's top samba schools to let a seven-year-old girl lead its 2010 carnival procession has caused uproar on the eve of what Brazilians call the greatest party on Earth.

The honour of being one of the carnival queens, the nimble-footed women who lead the deafening samba troupes along Rio's Sambadrome, is normally reserved for immaculately tanned and half-nak
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I was in a uproar over what is going on here in America with our children being exposed to so much frap.

God, in South America they have got us beat as far as what they allow their children to be exposed to.

Sad that our children are no longer allowed to be innocent children.

I would not want my eight year old grand daughter seeing some of the women in this "carnival" they are dressed like Las Vegas show girls.

And the Lira's not only expose Julia, their daughter to this, shes going to lead carnival.

From one extreme to the other - On one hand we have the middle east that bury their daughters alive for talking to a boy, in America we have tiaras on 3 year old beauty queens and in South America now we have a 7 year old gyrating her hips and leading a carnival that should really only be attended by adults.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I don't see a problem with it .. its called dancing .. . ... ^^

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Frankly, I think if you look at a 7 year old girl and think of sex, you have serious problems. That said, this is not appropriate. Samba is a very sexually suggestive style of dance and the Samba Carnival is about half naked Brazilian gals shaking their (gorgeous) big booties.

I don't want to see a 7 year old in a Samba outfit. Hell, I don't want to see a 18 or 19 year old in a Samba outfit! I just don't get it, I mean, I understand there are some attractive young ladies that are 18, 19, 20 but I'm 37 and I just can't get past so many of my friends chasing after what amounts to a kid, not a child, a kid.

I mean these are girls. Hell, a couple of years earlier they couldn't drive! It just seems a little creepy, a 25-40 year old dude sniffin' around a college girl. Of course, it ain't as bad as someone deciding "HEY! Let's make a prepubescent girl the queen of a sexually oriented parade!"

Idiocracy 2.0!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

From one extreme to the other - On one hand we have the middle east that bury their daughters alive for talking to a boy, in America we have tiaras on 3 year old beauty queens and in South America now we have a 7 year old gyrating her hips and leading a carnival

Exactly.

It's called cultural differences - and the USA/UK needs to leave other cultures alone. Keep their fat nose out of other countries business.

She's a 7 year old girl that will probably feel like Cinderella.
I hope they let her dance.

peace

[edit on 7-2-2010 by silo13]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

i sooo agree with you ... guess i shouldnt argue the ppoint to much might be seen as a pedo right OP?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TaintedJustice

i sooo agree with you ... guess i shouldnt argue the ppoint to much might be seen as a pedo right OP?

If someone looks at a little girl playing dress up and dancing, and they think sex - it's THEIR PROBLEM. THEY have a mental hang up.

If they look at a little girl playing dress up and dancing and think - 'Oh isn't she cute! And what talent! I bet she's having a smashing time!' - Then, in my opinion they've got their head on straight and will enjoy the carnival.

And remember, for this little Brazilian girl - she'll be in the spotlight for the carnival, then, it's over and back to Mother Superior and Catholic School... Bet ya can't say the same for the USA's little pimped out darlings Montana and Cyrus.

But that's DIFFERENT right?
WRONG!

peace

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
yes its a shame ... but u hit thew nail on the head with the cultaral diffrences ... and yea montana and co .. lol (sort ure own problems out brfore u sort other countries selfmade problems coz there diffrent)

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There doesn't seem to be much in the way of 'middle-ground' for children these days.

If the latest news isn't about various forms of child abuse and/or exploitation, it's about our bubble-wrapping, overprotective parenting of them.

I wonder how many children aren't the victims of either extreme?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
So instead of complaining about it...is anyone going to do anything about it...Hmmmm...I think not...
. I thought this site was a place to share ideas, it seems more like it is for people to [snip] N moan about things they do not agree with. As for the little girl being the Samba Queen...who cares..i don't watch it and if her family and government allow it there is nothing anyone can do. Some people are right to...do you really think a different culture cares about what your cultural beliefs are...NOOOO.

I personally think...who the hell would want some little kid leading this parade...when there a perfectly sexy women around...

[Mod edit: profanity circumvention]

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Oh no a culture where frivolity, dance, song and wine are encouraged and condoned! Such blasphemy to good Quakers and Puritans and their nine to five, must eat lunch at my cubicle, must pay the bills on time, and have rules for everything I do decent normal people.

Stop the presses! People are having fun somewhere! Nooooooooooooooooooo! Call Anderson Cooper, call Sean Hannity, call Chris Matthews call out the frigging National Guard, gas up the bombers, put the submarines on high alert, alert the Marines!

Some of you people are beyond hopeless, just saying!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
And here she is:

I'm never thrilled with putting children in adult contexts, but if what is shown in the video is the 'worst' of it, then it doesn't seem so bad.

However, I've never seen one of the samba parades, so I don't really know what this child is expected to do or experience.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
So instead of complaining about it...is anyone going to do anything about it...Hmmmm...I think not...
. I thought this site was a place to share ideas, it seems more like it is for people to [snip] N moan about things ....

I personally think...who the hell would want some little kid leading this parade...when there a perfectly sexy women around...

I agree with you on the latter; but I would like to comment about your opening assertion which, no offense intended, I've seen repeatedly surfacing, in OPs like this.

There is a threshold of 'action' that exists because of our culture and society as a whole. Once the civil authorities get involved it becomes a matter of dissent to take action contrary to the 'issue'. People in general aren't going to trade their law-abiding ways over the chance of falling into the wider and wider net that governments around the world are casting to 'control' the situation.

Attempting to 'shame' people who are outraged, but not prepared to take what you consider action is a bit trite. If you don't mind my saying so. After all, we ARE talking ab out it, which is a LOT more than most people are doing.

Opportunities such as those afforded us by hosts such as ATS are not, by definition, opportunities for social organization or civic action; this is a place to discuss ideas, to compare notes, to attempt to enlighten or seek enlightenment about matters that are of concern to us as individuals.

So my advice to those 'fed up' with the "powerless" lamentations of the people, I suggest providing an example, establish your own 'movement' make you own 'stand' and desist from judging the rest of us, who know that burden, and free and open discourse, are often two things that cannot coexist.

Off Topic, but my responsibility is to point out that we do not appreciate the practice of trying to circumvent the profanity censors. You are evidently very capable of making your point without it; and many members would rather not see this become that kind of website.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
I would not want my eight year old grand daughter seeing some of the women in this "carnival" they are dressed like Las Vegas show girls.

From your article:

"The costume will be appropriate for a child of her age to use."

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TaintedJustice

Have you ever attended Carnival?

No, it's an adult affair.

I'm all for children being allowed to dance freely.

I'm against children being ushered into an adult world before their time.

Too much to handle.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Case and point:

Seven-year-old Rio carnival queen bursts into tears

A seven-year-old has broken down crying as she took the controversial lead of a Rio de Janeiro carnival parade.

Julia led the Viradouro samba parade into the packed Sambadrome stadium wearing a sequined halter top and miniskirt made of purple feathers.

Her father, Marco, who is Viradouro's president, took her by the hand and presented her to the crowd.

But 10 minutes into the parade, as she was surrounded by photographers and reporters, she burst into tears.

"She cried because there were a lot of people on top of her," Mr Lira said.

After a brief period to cool down, away from the glare of the cameras, Julia returned to her place at the front of the massive drum line.

It was unclear to what extent she completed the parade, although her father said he had held her hand as she had crossed the finish line.

Poor kid.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

That was the only problem I was thinking about.

One thing is dancing on a stage in front of some 2000 people (just a guess), a different thing is being on a parade for which that samba school will be awarded points, surrounded by 500,000 people and hundreds of photographers looking for her just because it's an unusual case.

I saw it today on TV, and although I only saw some 5 seconds I could tell that she was extremely nervous and she would probably not reach the end of the parade.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by traderjack

I don't want to see a 7 year old in a Samba outfit. Hell, I don't want to see a 18 or 19 year old in a Samba outfit! I just don't get it, I mean, I understand there are some attractive young ladies that are 18, 19, 20 but I'm 37 and I just can't get past so many of my friends chasing after what amounts to a kid, not a child, a kid.

Woah there, there is a big difference between 7 and 18, 19 or 20. The latter are not "kids" as you state. I'm 28 and my WIFE and MOTHER of my little girl is 20 years old and working towards a degree in Law. There's nothing wrong with an age gap, as long as both people are above the age of consent and adults in the eyes of the law. My Mother was 14 years younger than my Dad and they were perfectly happy, right up until the day she died.

As for this little girl, I think it's in poor taste and I wouldn't want my daughter doing it, but I certainly don't think it's immorral. As previously stated, it comes down to cultural differences.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well, the fact that she started crying shows that she should not have been up there, IMO. She was far too young to be put under this pressure.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by traderjack
Frankly, I think if you look at a 7 year old girl and think of sex, you have serious problems. That said, this is not appropriate.

This paragraph is a total contradiction... Unless of course you think you, yourself have serious problems.

Children have historically been involved in Carnival. In fact, in 2008, the theme of Carnival was Children - The Future of All Countries. Source

I think it's ridiculous that adults who have sexual thoughts when they look at this girl dancing are willing to take away her pride of accomplishment because of their own nasty thoughts and make it into something dirty and "inappropriate".

And when she cried? It had nothing to do with the sexuality that so many adults are up in arms about. It was because of what the adults themselves were doing. Not because of the fact of dancing or the appropriateness of the dance. If anything, they should have made sure that she was protected and didn't get overwhelmed by the photographers.

Children Participate in Carnival Parade

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join