It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow storm with blue lights?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Jim Cantore from the weather channel witnessed the thunder snow too.. It doesnt happen all the time, but it does happen.

www.weather.com... news-41/top-stories-169/cantore-surprised-by-thundersnow-again-22366
edit on 30-10-2011 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Papi9378

I answered this on another thread and I know my answer is not likely to be popular but it really is likely transformers blowing out. They often do during wet snowstorms these days. Some even blow out during regular rain and thunderstorms. I used to live near one that blew out regularly or would arc without totally exploding. A transformer blowing out puts out a spectacular blue flash that reflects off of clouds and can look like a sky phenomenon. But it comes from a very plain fenced in boxy structure on the ground. If you are close enough you will hear a small explosion going off, a little series of boom boom booms and a bit of crackle. Power companies won't always acknowledge that this is going on because the ugly truth is that some power companies chose to disburse profits to their shareholders and top executives rather than properly maintain the infrastructure and treat their front line workers decently. I know this because I know people who work for the local power company who told me what is going on. The major power supplier in my state is under fire from legislators for a horrid track record. During our last major winter storm blue lights were see flashing all over town. It is not anything exotic. It is just poorly maintained transformers doing what old equipment does, failing. The reason people think this is some new and exciting phenomena is that they are not used to seeing it because once upon a time, when utilities were under tighter oversight, the equipment was maintained or replaced on a reasonable schedule.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Here is a quick article explaining what happens when a transformer blows. www.ehow.com... I had to look it up because I didnt know precisely what happens when they blow, I just know they do. And I know why they are seen to blow out more now, it is precisely what I said and what was told to me by a family member who used to be on a repair crew: it's due to cutting corners, applying cheap temporary repairs rather than replacing aged equipment that has worn and brittle components. My local legislators know this and have put a lot of pressure on the power company to remedy this but it is amazing really how little the utility actually answers to anyone these days.

There are also lots of videos on You Tube showing what it looks like when transformers blow out.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join