It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Haitian Ten: Who Is Laura Silsby? CBS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I am trying to follow the Haitian Ten case, apparently now the ten are being sent to prison. It made me wonder, and lo and behold, CBS wondered this as well,

Who IS Laura Silsby, so called leader of the Haitian Ten?

Who IS Laura Silsby? CBS article

I was surprised to find out she displayed quite unchristian attributes when it came to paying employees in a former business adventure.

From the article:

"Silsby has faced 14 legal complaints for unpaid wages in connection with her online shopping business, Personal Shopper. Employees won nine of those complaints and Silsby was ordered to pay $31,000 in wages plus another $4,000 in fines, according to the New York Times. "

And:

"She's also had at least nine traffic citations in the last 12 years including four for failing to register or insure her car.

Last July, Silsby defaulted on the mortgage for her Meridian, Idaho. But she used that same address to register a nonprofit, the New Life Children’s Refuge - the orphanage operation linked to the current kidnapping charges."

So is she an altruist who wants to help kids, or a scheming deadbeat who is trying to use religious tax breaks to fund horrible financial choices?

Edwin Coq, the lawyer for the Haitian Ten, had this cryptic soundbyte show up a day or so ago, and now, I think it becomes clearer as to why he said such a thing.

Mr. Coq's statement

From the link:

"The lawyer for the group, Edwin Coq, said after a hearing on Thursday that 9 of his 10 clients were “completely innocent,” but that, apparently in a reference to Ms. Silsby, “If the judiciary were to keep one, it could be the leader of the group.”

From the beginning of this something has been weird or strange about this case! I am beginning to wonder if this Miss Silsby lady did not drag some innocent religious do gooders into a scheme to try and get out of her own financial messes.

If so shame on her. It makes me mad in general because already Haiti has too many orphans. This incident could really slow down the help of people from other countries in getting access to the ones who need it most, the kids!!

To be fair, from the cbs article, Laura's words of defense:

"In an exclusive jail cell interview with CBS News correspondent Bill Whitaker, Silsby maintained the group's innocence.

"We have not in any way trafficked or kidnapped children. We came here out of love in our hearts for these children and have done our best to help them," Silsby said. "Once we were asked at the border to provide an additional piece of paperwork for the Haitian government, we willingly complied.

"I was willing to come back the very next morning at 6:00 a.m. to complete it and the children were going to remain there until I returned. But instead, they came with [an] armed guard and took us to the police station for interrogation and held us on charges … on false charges."

One thing Laura claims is that she was intending to build an orphanage in the Dominican republic for the Haiti orphans. When the story first broke, I remember hearing how the group wanted to bring 100 Haiti orphans back to the orphanage in Idaho (Kuna).

But according to Eric Evans, contractor, there is no orphanage in Idaho, at least coming from his company.

"Eric Evans wants to make one thing clear: He is not building a multi-million-dollar complex for runaway children on a 40-acre lot in Kuna for Laura Silsby as reported in the Wall Street Journal on Friday."

and:

"Evans met Silsby, who has been charged with child abduction in Haiti, a couple of years ago when he sold her a house in Meridian. He has not worked with her on any other projects since then, Evans said."

Here is the Wall Street Journal article the poor guy was referring to:

online.wsj.com...

"Ms. Silsby had equally grand ambitions closer to home, according to a local builder. The Idaho plan called for a "multi-million-dollar complex" for runaway children on a 40-acre lot in Kuna, Idaho, according to Eric Evans, owner of Eric Evans Construction in Meridian. Ms. Silsby told him it would have an indoor swimming pool, tennis courts and dormitories for the children, said Mr. Evans, adding that she had discussed having him build the project. Ms. Silsby's mother said she had never heard of any such plan."

Apparently some of the parents of these "kidnapped" children gave up their kids willingly, probably in hopes of a better life in America eventually. But it sounds like Laura Silsby may have been conning these parents as well. I just dont know!

Is Laura Silsby a con? Are nine of the ten innocent? Do you agree that no matter what, this particular case is going to make it harder for help to reach Haiti's orphans?

[edit on 6-2-2010 by hotbakedtater]

[edit on 6-2-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
And one thing that seems so far, even stranger, is that it doesn't seem there is much support stateside for this 'group'. So then I have to wonder if they are being scapegoated for some reason.

With a leader like Miss Silsby, and her unsavory background, what an easy target she could have made for scapegoatism.

Just a thought on this sad case.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
And one thing that seems so far, even stranger, is that it doesn't seem there is much support stateside for this 'group'. So then I have to wonder if they are being scapegoated for some reason.

With a leader like Miss Silsby, and her unsavory background, what an easy target she could have made for scapegoatism.

A scapegoat for what/whom exactly ?

Thanks for laying out the details of the story .

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Im also trying to follow this report. There are a lot of different quotes and info thats getting mixed up.
I do belive they had the intentions to abduct those children, but for what reason I cant figure out.
I feel they will deeply regret ever hatching this plan now they`v been sent to prison. The prisons look absolutly disgusting. Im not sure about the womens prison, but the mens cells are supposed to house 12 inmates, and in some cells there are 60-70 prisoners. Because of the overcrowding they`r locked up constantly, and only let out for 1 hr to excersize. They have to go to toilet in the cell, and because theres no plumbing they trow the waste out onto a drain that runs along side the outside of the cells. It looks like hell on earth.
But its no more than they deserve for trying to steal and probably exploit children.
They were obviously so convinced that they could just walk in2 this crisis, inthe name of god, and do what they wanted. Thinking that people would be too preoccupied in the rescue and help of the situation to notice them...

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Can you fill me up with the mysteries?

My working thesis was that those chaps were good-hearted, albeit uninformed and somewhat arrogant American christians who believed they had a mission to get kids out of Haiti as fast as possible?

Did I overlook the fishy on this one? anyone?

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I much as I hope not, I am thinking that she was there for the human trafficking side of things. She was having HUGE financial troubles, granted a ton of people are in this situation, but they are not flying to Haiti. Initially, I was under the impression that she had an existing children's charitable group when she left, I saw on CNN that actually she went to Haiti to establish said group. If she was the "savy" business woman that she was portrayed as, that would imply she has at least an once of sense in her head, and I can't think of any border where you can freely cross, especially with children not belonging to you, without any paperwork. The Dominican Haiti border was never opened due to the quake, that would create a chaotic situation in both countries. I suppose it is possible that she is the dumbest person on the planet, but I doubt that. I think she is desperate, tried to sell some kids, and got caught. Granted I pray that this is not the case.

There is also the less disgusting option, she thought she open another scam charity in an attempt to funnel the cash toward her legal battles and existing debts.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

A scapegoat for what/whom exactly ?

Thanks for laying out the details of the story .

Good question. I was hoping others could help me figure out some possible plausible reasons for this.

One might be, as unsavory as it sounds, the kids were actually going to be given to real criminals (organ harvesting, child traffickers, it has been all over the news, almost too much so) and this church group managed to save some kids who were supposed to go else where, so they are being scapegoated to cover for the 'bad' group.

But I need help refining my thoughts here, so thank you for participating and at least reading about this story.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
thank you very much for this thread. I've been dreading trying to gather all the facts on this...seems so cumbersome

I do find it telling that there isn't a lot of support, not even from the government. I think that helps to prove the true nature of "the ten"

I really don't think they are scapegoats. I think it's people going in in the name of the god of their choice and breaking the laws. I feel it is that simple of a case.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by NichirasuKenshin

Can you fill me up with the mysteries?

My working thesis was that those chaps were good-hearted, albeit uninformed and somewhat arrogant American christians who believed they had a mission to get kids out of Haiti as fast as possible?

Did I overlook the fishy on this one? anyone?

What strikes me is her unsavory financial past. It lends me to believe she possibly duped a bunch of naive christians into helping her "agenda" (one of the mysteries, the biggest of all, is Laura Silsby's agenda!!) which could possibly once again according to her past financial patterns, have something to do with money.

Another mystery, the orphanage it is reported Laura was building. That was denied by a confused builder back in Idaho, Eric Evans.

I have read of reports that parents do sell their kids in Haiti. Maybe some wanted their kids to go to America. Could Laura be (or did she she seems to be shut down now) fast talking parents out of their kids for her own "agenda"?

Are these not a bit mysterious in your eyes?

And if not, can you explain how you see it, for counter balance to the thread?

Thanks for your interest in the thread and this situation.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
thank you very much for this thread. I've been dreading trying to gather all the facts on this...seems so cumbersome

I do find it telling that there isn't a lot of support, not even from the government. I think that helps to prove the true nature of "the ten"

I really don't think they are scapegoats. I think it's people going in in the name of the god of their choice and breaking the laws. I feel it is that simple of a case.

Well, go ahead and add any content you may find to help unravel this mystery. That is one of the great things about ATS, most of these threads are a group effort, and an on going process, that is enhanced by everyone's contributions!

I wonder what Pat Robertson has to say on this issue?

I searched but found nothing he had attributed to Laura Silsby's group in particular (help me here, if you can find some link add it please.)

(Link to his official statement on his Haiti statement

I did find a CBN article on the Haitian Ten, but nothing from the Big Man himself:

www.cbn.com...

"The 10 U.S. missionaries charged with kidnapping in Haiti are asking to come home until their trial, despite a court ruling that they remain in jail without bail.

Former President Bill Clinton-- who's the special envoy to Haiti-- visited their jail, Friday, and said the State Department is working hard to bring them home.

Until then, they could face months of harsh living conditions.

The missionaries from the Idaho-based Baptist charity New Life Children's Refuge are charged with kidnapping and criminal association for trying to take 33 Haitian children across the border to an orphanage in the Dominican Republic. "

So, I emailed CBN a question.

"Please direct me to a statement by Pat Robertson regarding the plight of the Haitian Ten, in particular, Laura Silsby. Thank you."

(how kind, their auto response:

Your message was sent successfully.

May the Lord Jesus richly bless you.)

You may do the same, please do.

www.cbn.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

*pure speculation follows....*

With millions of dollars flowing into Haiti following the disaster , perhaps Laura Silsby saw an opportunity to milk a little much needed refinancing money for herself..... taking some pressure off her situation.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

why would Pat Robinson specifically have something to say about this?...I'm lost at the connection there.

And I really REALLY feel this is just Laura Silsby being ignorant of the laws.

She thought her god wanted her to go in and save those little children and was going to at any cost. Stealing them, convincing their parents it's the right thing to do, you pick the scenario. The religious that do this thing for profit disguise it as holy, when in reality its anything but.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I was under the assumption they worked for a known charity. I see that is not true.

So yeah, these are legitimate questions, I'll give it a read. Thanks for pointing that out... I'll post my opinion as soon as I have read some more ... Thanks

[edit on 6-2-2010 by NichirasuKenshin]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I wonder what the ratio is of persons not taking advantage of the earthquake to people who are.
I think, we may never know..
This is a far reaching situation and people are probably taking advantage of this from all over the world via human connections, the internet etc.

It is sad that I have to think twice, and then think long and hard- all before having to RESEARCH a charity before donating my money in such times of crisis. I can barely spare extra cash for myself these days, but I suppose that goes without saying.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Regarding Pat R. I emailed him regarding a statement on this situation, because I find it odd there isnt more being said by christian groups. I may be wrong, and hope if anyone finds links that are groups in support of the Haitian Ten (besides Bill Clinton and some US government groups).

I will post the reply if and when it comes.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MetalCoffeeL

I wonder what the ratio is of persons not taking advantage of the earthquake to people who are.

It is sad that I have to think twice, and then think long and hard- all before having to RESEARCH a charity before donating my money in such times of crisis. I can barely spare extra cash for myself these days, but I suppose that goes without saying.

These sentiments are why I started researching this Haitian Ten story.

It is very sad that charlatans come out and ruin things for those genuinely called to help.

Then again, this situation exemplifies why it is vital to have all paperwork and ducks in a row before embarking into such areas. My advice is to work with well known groups, or government groups, only.

This story also highlights the dangers of small independent do gooder groups venturing out to help in world crises.

What a shame all the way around.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

My guess as to why there hasn't been support from the Christian groups is this:

They recognize these people were not out their following the rules. Christian groups are already on shaky ground. They pretty much always are, always someone willing to shoot them down for making a mistake. Well this time, they found out this chick isn't worth the fight. She is not linked to any group, she pretty much was some broad out there.

The only reason Bill is going their is because he had good results in..N. Korea...if I remember correctly? And that way the government can say they "tried".

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

It wouldn't be surprising in the least if Christian organizations were staying mum as more information about this case comes to light. There is something distinctly off-kilter with the whole situation and these groups are probably finding it prudent to keep a cautious distance.

As for Laura Silsby, one has to wonder about her intent, which is highly questionable at this point considering her dubious past. Seriously, at what point does any reasonable person think they can waltz a couple dozen children into another country without any kind of paperwork? It doesn't make sense. Unless, of course, she thought she could charm, lie and hoodwink her way through.

It's painfully obvious she was able to persuade a group of well-meaning, trusting volunteers into what seemed to be a worthy cause. She was able to persuade the parents of these children that she had a solution to help them from their horrific plight.

The truth of the matter is she seems to resemble more of a con artist then a person with purely altruistic inclinations.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I don't think they were acting in any outright sinister way. My hunch is that Silsby took the position, 'hey, I can help some kids and make a few bucks in the process. Everybody wins.' The orphanages from whom they initially tried to get kids shot them down out-of-hand. Those people are pros. If they thought something was fishy then something was fishy. Basically it boils down to an adoption-for-profit scheme hiding behind a Christian facade. The rest of the group were just naive, duped Christians, IMHO.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Well, I will put in my two cents worth on this. Personally I think a lot of children are being smuggled out of Haiti for sinister reasons such as exploitation, and these Christian people having good intentions got caught. They will surely be made an example of in Haitian courts, while the real trafficking people get away. I know that a certain element uses the child's adrenaline when the child is afraid much like a vampire feeds on blood, and I also know that a child killed in sacrifice has a lot of significance to some. The ones I talk about here are not human, and they do feed on children.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join