It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New lithium-ion battery could last 20 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I came across this article and it made me think. What if we started to make bigger batteries and put them into cars, boats, and everything else that uses oil. This discovery should revolutionize the world, shouldn't it? Tell me what you guys think.

Battery could last 20 years longer

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Although the batteries probably won't be too much more to make, you can be sure that they will be much more expensive due to their length of use.

Will be interesting to see though, and I wouldn't mind a few.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
The batteries still need to be recharged, so until we stop using fossil fuels to power our electricity grid, the only benefit these have is the fact you won't need to buy new batteries as often.

Oh and large lithium-ion batteries are being made and used in cars like the Tesla Roadster.

But again, until we can recharge with completely renewable energy, they (electric and hybrid cars) are a complete waste of time.

Bring on Hydrogen power!

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I think the title is misleading...

The battery itself lasts 20 years... but not the charge it holds. It still has to be recharged every few hours.

It really isn't a new discovery either, all they did was reinforce the the metal so it can withstand more charges. That was figured out long ago when rechargeable batteries were first invented.

A normal Litho battery in a laptop last about 1,000 charges, and this one 10,000. I guess that's a good thing.... less waste.

Still cool, but not world changing yet...

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

A normal Litho battery in a laptop last about 1,000 charges,

At the 950th charge how much charge can you put in a laptop battery.
most i have used will only take about 60% at that age.

On a car at the 9500th charge will reduce its range to 60% of its new range.
will the owner stand for this or want at least 95% range on the 9500th charge.

Someone that buys a car for a daily commute that uses 90% of its charge round trip is going to be p**sed when the car goes dead before he gets home after a couple years long before the 10,000th charge.

Most lead acid CAR batteries last 2 to 3 years.
many industrial lead acid batteries last 10 to 20 years.

Car lead acid batteries are built so you have to replace them every couple years or the companies that make them would not make money.
car owners are easy targets.

Industrial batteries used to power industrial loads are big and expensive and companies that use this equipment with them are not going to shell out big money for big expensive industrial batteries every 2 to 3 years.
They will find a company that can build batteries that will fit there needs .

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I wouldn't call them a waste of time, more like an useful application for the future. It is inevitable, no matter how much money it makes, eventually we need something other than fossil fuels.

Plus the fossil fuels for the power grid will be burned anyway to produce that electricity... The fuel in the car doesn't have to.

So really it's only a half waste of time.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
The batteries still need to be recharged, so until we stop using fossil fuels to power our electricity grid, the only benefit these have is the fact you won't need to buy new batteries as often.

Oh and large lithium-ion batteries are being made and used in cars like the Tesla Roadster.

But again, until we can recharge with completely renewable energy, they (electric and hybrid cars) are a complete waste of time.

Bring on Hydrogen power!

So where do we get hydrogen from?

Electrolysis of water? Where do we get the energy to split water into hydrogen and oxygen? Fossil fuels?

There is only one crisis on this planet. The energy crisis.

top topics

join