It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite explodes over Ireland

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Meteorite explodes over Ireland

news.eircom.net

Astronomy Ireland said a space rock collided with the earth's atmosphere at around 6pm, and is now showering debris in many parts of the country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.irishcentral.com

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Info still coming in on this at the moment, only a few news sources so far.

One news source said it exploded with 'the force of a small nuclear weapon'.

Still uncertain whether if any fragments hit the ground.

news.eircom.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Chonx]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yeah, I have been googling it and nothing coming up. found a few links on ATS, with a default story on both sites. Nuclear blast? Not on any MSM new channels in the states that i can tell. Guess its not good enough news. I also saw the youtube, weird looking pretty big..

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
correction. The link actually says that it was 'travelling with the force of a small nuclear weapon' whatever that means

Still not much about this yet....

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Another correction to the OP... A meteorite can't explode over Ireland. A meteor can explode over Ireland, but not a meteorite.

The thing doesn't become a "meteorite" until it impacts the ground.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

With you all the way Doc but as the Board rules demand, I posted the exact headline from the article.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

I also saw the youtube, weird looking pretty big..

It's on YOuTube? Any chance you could post the link?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
Here's the youtube vid. I'm not sure if this is slowed down or what. Doesn't seem right to me. Hopefully some more vids will surface soon.

EDIT TO ADD: This is NOT avideo of the event today. Still waiting on the first pics.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Chonx]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You want to talk about weird?

The same thing happened over Ireland just 5 months ago...

Huge Sky Explosion Over Ireland Investigated

Sept. 9, 2009: Meteor (bolide) Explodes over Ireland

An Irish astronomy group is calling for help in tracing the origin of a huge explosion in the skies over the country on Thursday evening.

A spokesman said the most likely explanation was a space rock or satellite crashing into the atmosphere.

"In the past two decades there have been two major explosions in the skies over Ireland.

"When we investigated these, we were able to conclude that one was a Russian military satellite that exploded over the country, and the other was a rock from space which we predicted would have fallen on Carlow and this rock was indeed found, becoming the last meteorite fall of the millennium."

So, before the skyfall of last September, this sort of thing only happened over Ireland twice in two decades.

Now it's happened twice in 5 months.

I was very interested to note that this article mentions that a Russian "military satellite" was to blame in the past.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Very odd. Makes you wonder...

Still not much info the one this evening. I want to know if that video is the event and if it hit the ground?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

The thing doesn't become a "meteorite" until it impacts the ground.

— Doc Velocity

Learn something new everyday thanks for that never knew there was a difference. Would be a spectacular site to see I remember as a little kid seeing a metor in Colorado memory has stuck with me since.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Update :

"There are reports that the fireball has landed in a field near Crimlin in Co. Cavan."
www.rte.ie

[edit on 3-2-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kenton1234

I agree weird. Video if genuine is A1, especially if what we are seeing has been slowed down...as it seems to be.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
there is a video of it in this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

interesting solar events and now fire balls in the sky

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
"There are reports that the fireball has landed in a field near Crimlin in Co. Cavan."
www.rte.ie

This is getting weirder. Do you realize what the odds are of a sky explosion occurring in approximately the same area of sky within 5 months?

If you look back at the Sept. 9th explosion, you see County Cavan mentioned, also...

Astronomy Ireland chairman David Moore said: "So far, reports have been registered by residents in west Cork, Kerry, Cavan and as far north as Donegal, thus suggesting that this spectacular event may have been witnessed by people all over the country."

There's Cavan again.

This sounds like more than coincidence. Or, if coincidence, an astronomical coincidence.

The chances of large meteors coming down on the same small area of Earth repeatedly within a small time frame is something like tossing an apple into the air and a flock of birds pecking only the same small area on that apple's surface as it rotates wildly (tip of the hat to Charles Fort for that analogy).

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 2/3/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
That Youtube vids a doosy, I dont think its slowed down either... could easily be wrong about that.

Love how it gets hotter and hotter and goes from smoke to full on fire near the end. Heres hoping it aint another one of those phone companies viral marketing ads like the one we had last year in europe
... just kidding.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
there is a video of it in this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...
interesting solar events and now fire balls in the sky

In addition to being slowed down, that video is going in reverse. Look at the smoke trail... It's flowing toward the object, not away from it.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I agree. It looks as though it is going in reverse. The footage that is.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
In addition to being slowed down, that video is going in reverse. Look at the smoke trail... It's flowing toward the object, not away from it.

— Doc Velocity

You might be right, I moved the slider on the youtube video in reverse and it appears less extravagant... it becomes smaller. Maybe someone trying to over hype the event...

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

" Cork, Kerry, Cavan and as far north as Donegal "

That pretty much extends the length of the country approx. 300 miles .

Hope they find it Doc . !

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join