It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

download and convert video file, advice needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
i am looking for some advice on downloading and converting youtube video files and after spending half the day reading different websites and experimenting with a few different applications that didn't help me, i thought i might cut to the chase and ask some of you experts ! i hope someone can help

main question...

what is the best way to download a video from youtube and convert the file into a format that works in windows movie maker program without losing picture quality ?

the problem i am having is when i use the basic youtube downloader to get the file and then convert the file into a wmm format , the picture quality is then terrible and pixelated.

youtube downloader i am using
wm converter i am using

i have used the converter program called format factory in the past and deleted it because the program kept "failing" to convert so i thought i would give it another chance and i re-downloaded it and it did convert the file i was working with.

i was able to import the file into my windows movie maker program BUT, after editing the video and trying to save the movie file , my windows program gave me a error notice and it said the file is not in the correct location or could not be located. (or something like that)

i tried renaming the file that was on my desktop and tried repeating everything but no luck , i couldn't save the movie i just got done editing because (supposedly) of the file location.

so does anyone have any advice on what is the best way to convert these mp4 files into a wmm format ? and how can i retain the picture quality ? or in other words how do i get the video file in my windows movie maker program without the picture looking all pixelated and distorted ? what about the AVI format ? is that better ?

any help or advice would be appreciated

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The Program I use is Atube Catcher Here

I think its a great program

Download videos from web sites like MySpace, Dailymotion, Megavideo, Google, Yahoo!, Metacafe, Spike, Megarotic (unlimited), Yahoo!, CBS, Comedycentral, MyPlay, Globo, RTVE, YouTube, etc; now has support for more than 100+ video sharing sites!;

includes templates so you don't have to worry about the encoding options, but if you want, you can customize the options and get higher quality video/audio. The default format is MPEG4 AVI, the file types supported are 3GP, 3G2, AVI, XVID, MP4, MP3, MP2, WMA, WMV, GIF, FLAC, WAV, PSP, MPG, VOB, OGG, MOV, AVI.

Now I had done WindoewsMovie Maker before witha youtube video
what I did first was converted the mp4 to avi then imported the video to wmm that was the only way I could save it.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
www.techsupportalert.com...

You may have codec issues.
Grab a codec pack.
www.free-codecs.com...

The Combined Community Codec Pack is a simple playback pack for Windows with the goal of supporting the majority of video formats in use today.

cccp-project.net...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

thanks EvilBat ,

that downloader looks like a better program than what i was using so i will certainly be trying it out, thanks for the link

Now I had done WindoewsMovie Maker before witha youtube video
what I did first was converted the mp4 to avi then imported the video to wmm that was the only way I could save it.

i have been converting my mp4 files to a wm format and then importing them into the windows movie maker program and that works fine but the problem is, the video is all pixelated before i even start doing any editing.

i guess i need to try that AVI format and see what i get using that but i did experiment with a AVI file earlier today and the file played but there was no sound or picture (was very weird) LOL

i need to see how good that program you linked me to converts the files and go from there. thanks again for that link

reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

thanks The Utopian Penguin,

You may have codec issues.
Grab a codec pack.
www.free-codecs.com...

just grab any old codec pac eh ? lol

i will be honest i am clueless about codec packs and not real confident about messing with it. is that one you linked me to the correct one or am i just gonna download it and hope it is ?

why would a codec affect the video quality ? isn't it more likely the converter i am using is just not giving me a good enough out put product ?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

i downloaded that program and converted the file to wmv and the picture quality is even worse than i was getting before !

maybe i need to experiment with the output setings ? i dunno

[edit on 29-1-2010 by easynow]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Download and install RealPlayer.It has a flash video down loader that works great.

You can even convert themt to formats that you can view and edit.

Check this web site frequently.

Giveaway of the day.

They are paid programs that you can download for free that day.

You just missed a good one they had on there today!

It was a flash video down loader and converter.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

thanks for the reply calcoastseeker,

i was trying to avoid realplayer for a few different reasons but i didn't know that program converted video files. hmmm..might be worth checking out.

thanks for the give away link , that's interesting they give programs out for free ! , i guess i missed out on the one you mentioned but maybe another good one will show up.

i'm getting the feeling i will never be satisfied with these freeware programs and might have to spend some dough on a good program like sony vegas

[edit on 29-1-2010 by easynow]

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

evilbat thank you for this program. It great! really powerful. I had a 8 minute video downloaded and converted in literally less then 2 minutes!

top topics

join