It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem posting, Please help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Hey all sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but I had it with this issue. When I write a post I then spell check it with Ispell the spell check software. If I do that and then add something and in the process hit the backspace button three or more times it backs up the whole darn page and I loose everything.

Anyone having this issue or know a cure? My PC is all clean and this has been a problem for ALONG time.

I have reformatted twice for other reasons so I know its not spy-ware or anything like that. Maybe the spell check software or the site just does that?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I don't use a spell-checker but I was under the assumption that it's built into the site....try misspelling a word, it'll stop you. Unless it's in the title section.

Hope that helps...

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Well I can say yup I have had that problem
I got around it by making sure my cursor is in the box and the text
area is selected.
Sometimes If I accidentally click out of the box and hit the back button
poof there goes what ever I did. it's not just here it happens on all sites.
Just need to be careful example
sometimes not sure why but if I hit the comma odd things happen as well.
About the spell check mine's built in to the browser.

Before I realized how to "fix" the backspace problem, I used to do my posts in openoffice
then copy past into a reply so I didn't have that problem until I
thought about what I was doing to cause it.
Thats when I figured since what I said above works I'll stick with it.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I don't have a spell checker program either... Guess I assumed it was built into FireFox... Had the same feature in IE, never downloaded anything special. Whenever I miss-spell a word, it's underlined in red. I then right-click it for the correct spelling.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I use Microsoft's iespell.com, once you download, it's built into your brower and all you have to do is right click on your text and click on spell check, it does not take you to another page, have had it for years and no problems..

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I also found this useful after I posted "my work around"

but his seems to do the trick
( I take no responsibility for blowing up your computer)

Luckily, this behavior can be modified. Here's how:

1 - In the address bar type: about:config.

2 - Scroll down to the entry called browser.backspace_action.

3 - Double-click on this row and it will pop up a dialog box asking you to enter a value. The current value will be 0, change it to be 2 then click OK.

That's all there is to it

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

It sounds like a browser issue, not a site issue and not a virus or bug or anything.

Personally, I never use the backspace key to go backwards through my browser history, so I've disabled that function in my browser. Here's a site about how to do that on Firefox for Mac (what I use): Block the 'Delete goes back' action in Firefox Web Browsers .

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
ATS doesn't have a build-in spell checker, and any browser plug-ins you use (and how they react) are completely out of our control.

There's some great advice in the posts above that may help solve your problem.

Check out this thread as well: How NOT to lose your work.

new topics

top topics

join