It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who post a prediction which fails should have a permanent mark on their avatar.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'm sick of attention-wanting prediction threads which serve only to highlight the poster's immaturity and lack of respect for the rest of us.

Some members have done this multiple times without recourse and continue to divert attention away from more pressing real-world topics.

I'm not saying a genuine prediction is impossible but we have countless failed predictions here on ATS.

As another member put it in another thread, it's very frustrating wading through the sea of crap to get to a valid topic.

I propose that If a member posts a prediction or prophecy which fails, they should have a mark put on their avatar which is visible on ALL of their subsequent posts and threads.

Maybe under their name similar to the writer/fighter/scholar titles we have.

Maybe similar to the 'warn' icons but saying 'LIAR' or something, it doesn't matter. Just something which lets everyone else know that this member has posted a failed prediction.

I might be alone in this and we'll see but I am fully sick-of-it.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

I am with you 100% there should be a wager box where one must put all his points up before any prediction is made, and then when the prediction fails, they are zeroed out as a punishment. Not that points mean a whole lot, but it is the next best thing to a public hanging.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
How can u you sick of it when the Predictions doesnt occur before the time 2010\2012. If you read the news and documents from former government members and the facts wich are going on now,you can see that the mayan prediction is 100% correct.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Archirvion

I'm not talking about any 2012 predictions because that date has not come to pass and those predictions have not failed.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
No I disagree and this is why we have a prediction forum so all predictions go in there and you don’t have to read them do you?

If you don’t like them or the idea of prediction threads then just ignore them the same way some people who don’t like paranormal thread ignore them or the same way people don’t like 2012 threads ignore them.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

That's true and would apply if predictions didn't pop up in other forums too. I'm not against the notion of a prediction or the predictions board, but why should someone be free to make up a new story and misslead people again if they have already failed at an honest, accurate prediction?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

I disagree, I think it is overkill to do what you are suggesting.

Its the equivalent of me saying I think the internet should be shut down if nothing happens on 2012. Given the proportion of the predictions around the time if you get me.

Allowing people to make predictions whether fact based or not is essential. It is the only way that anyone will realise they are wrong, if they are wrong. It also allows people to disclose information they might have that they cannot actually post for fear of the consequences.

You can ignore the predictions if you do not like them.

I am just trying to look at both angles here and I get where you are coming from but you have to strike a balance somewhere.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
i don't like sifting through it either but a lot of these people who are making EDUCATED GUESSES infer data to have a logical conclusion, therefore their hypothesis.

how about you get an icon next to your name for being a douche that wants to brand and humiliate people for 'not exactly crying wolf but not exactly being 100% accurate or omniscient but still takes concerning data and infers and predicts a fair warning to prepare people of the possibility because i can't seem to ignore them (heh, look at my previous threads) or yeah, spend my time making examles of them as well'.

i'm on board with that.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
AGAIN. I'm not against making predictions.

This idea would target those individuals who have a proven record of making outlandish and fantastic predictions which do not come true.

It would enable members to be wary of these threads, and those member's future predictions.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Oh no I agree with you there trust me and that's wrong and those threads should be moved to the right forum. But I think it’s unfair to make a permanent mark on their profile maybe if someone does it maybe 3 times then they get a point’s deduction or a warning.

If they continue to blatantly do it after that then obvious it becomes more a more serious issue and maybe a banning.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx

I propose that If a member posts a prediction or prophecy which fails, they should have a mark put on their avatar which is visible on ALL of their subsequent posts and threads.

Ok, since you are sick of it then I propose YOU to be the one who facilitates the implementation of this idea and MONITORS the failed predictions. You wanna generate more work for this webstie and scrutinize then why dont you ask the site owners to jump start this project? Spotlight is on you now.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by solarstorm]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

I made this thread. BAM! members and owners can now be aware and the facilitation and implimentation can begin providing it has support from both.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

I agree with you, but I don't think there should be a marked account.
I think after a few attention grabbing false claims, they should be banned.
There are TONS of users that are just making crap threads.
Call them Dis-info agents, noobs, whatever, they are useless.

I am all for taking out the garbage.

On the other hand, there should be a section for complaints that can be deemed, "fixable". Because I know alot of ATS'ers that feel the same way.

I digress, ATS is an open forum, subject to T&C, and there's plenty of room for garbage to be let throught the cracks

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I made this thread. BAM! members and owners can now be aware and the facilitation and implimentation can begin providing it has support from both.

NO NO...you made a SUGGESTION without making "YOURSELF" AS PART OF THE SOLUTION. If approved YOU should be the one being part of the solution. Right? YOU should be the one who MONITORS the failed predictions and given that power, since you are sooo passionate about it. Right? This task, if approved should be assigned to YOU.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by solarstorm]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Yea ok. Fair enough. I'm not a moderator though so I'm not sure how that would be possible. If the ATS PTB however, did decide to offer me that task. I would be happy do it.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Yea ok. Fair enough. I'm not a moderator though so I'm not sure how that would be possible. If the ATS PTB however, did decide to offer me that task. I would be happy do it.

but the catch is your avatar has the quoted text from my previous post.

you should check out my thread where i predict chonx fails as a 'tired of being scared prediction puppystomper police' when he comes to terms with why those threads have positive aspect despite being negative things and somehow in the way of people who properly use the search function.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by shagreen heart]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

I'm not certain you understand what I'm saying but.... If you do and you disagree, then that's fine and I have no problem with that.

Obviously this is how I feel ATS could move forward regarding those types of threads and the members who make them. If I'm in the minority in thinking this then that's fine too, I wouldn't want this to happen just because I want it to, but only if it had the support of the majority of members, staff and owners.

cheers.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I'm not certain you understand what I'm saying but.... If you do and you disagree, then that's fine and I have no problem with that.

Obviously this is how I feel ATS could move forward regarding those types of threads and the members who make them. If I'm in the minority in thinking this then that's fine too, I wouldn't want this to happen just because I want it to, but only if it had the support of the majority of members, staff and owners.

cheers.

yeah i grip it, it's not a difficult concept.
and i don't agree, your idea is ludicrous.

someone who takes the time to make a thread like that (wether you feel this way or not) gambles their entire name on protecting everyone else by predicting a logical conclusion to a chain of recent events, and you want to add insult to injury by juicing a lemon allover their sacrificed name and brandthem forever as 'some fail prophet that wasted space on my ats'.

no, i don't support that.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Well, you obviously don't understand. This would mearly make members aware if a thread they are looking at has been made by someone with a proven history of failing at making predictions therefore making said member less likely to grant it attention therefore cutting down on the clutter on the forum.

You're being just a little bit over dramatic and I don't think for a second that most of these threads are born from wanting protect anyone else but from want for attention.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by Chonx]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join