It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skydiver to fall from 120,000 feet!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
news.sky.com...

Felix Baumgartner plans to launch himself out of a hot-air balloon at 120,000ft - the very edge of space.

If you ask me i'd say this guy is verging on the insane.... it's -100 c up there... could easily die.... not just from the cold but from the sheer speed he will be going...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
What do you mean "sheer speed"?

I thought 'terminal velocity' would be the highest possible speed he could reach??

"In fluid dynamics an object is moving at its terminal velocity if its speed is constant due to the restraining force exerted by the air, water or other fluid through which it is moving.
A free-falling object achieves its terminal velocity when the downward force of gravity (Fg) equals the upward force of drag (Fd). This causes the net force on the object to be zero, resulting in an acceleration of zero"

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 22-1-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Ah damn you beat me to it I was just about to write up this thread and the I saw it on here already lol

Anyway I think this is great though I like that we are still exploring the unknown and aren’t afraid to take a risk every now and then and sure it’s dangerous but I like the fact that wont stop this guy from doing it.

Good luck to him and btw someone has done this before so it's do-able

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well in 1960 a guy jumped from 102,800 feet, and the materials used in this guys kit will be much better now a days, it should be a lot safer. (although the guy in 1960 almost lost a hand to the cold, his glove leaked - he didn't tell the ground crew cos he thought they'd have him abandon the jump!).

The one I want to see is orbital skydiving! Sign me up for that!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Colonel Joseph W. Kittinger II

Project Excelsior was the name of the project. Some men may go higher, but Colonel Kittinger did it first.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well i did hear he could go faster than the speed of sound... couldn't that have a bad effect on the heart?

you've been on a rollercoaster right? So you know how fast your heart beats when you are travelling at high speeds!!

Couldn't he freeze up for a few seconds?

Anyway i'd like to see this when he does it....

[edit on 22-1-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Sorry bout that.... just goes to show you you gotta be quick on ATS!!

Like you say though it may well be fun.... for him.... if he makes it!!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
news.sky.com...

Felix Baumgartner plans to launch himself out of a hot-air balloon at 120,000ft - the very edge of space.

If you ask me i'd say this guy is verging on the insane.... it's -100 c up there... could easily die.... not just from the cold but from the sheer speed he will be going...

It has already been done, and the person was alive and well so I don't think it is impossible.

It looks awsome

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
As a member of Project Excelsior, the current record holder is Air Force Col. Joseph Kittinger who in August 16, 1960 exited his Excelsior III gondola at an altitude of 102,800 feet.

He fell for 4 minutes, 36 seconds, reaching a speed of 614 mph before his chute opened at 18,000 feet.

Kittinger was decorated with a second Distinguished Flying Cross, and he was awarded the Harmon Trophy by President Dwight D. Eisenhower.

SOURCE

Good luck to Felix Baumgartner on his attempt from 120,000 feet.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

It's not so much the speed it's the change in velocity that gets you - the acceleration would be pretty consistent I would of thought, when he is travelling the speed of sound he would of reached his terminal velocity in the very thin atmosphere, he would probably just feel like he is hanging in the air... After a while the atmosphere will get thicker and he will decelerate.

Of course if his chute fails he velocity would drop from from 120mph to zero mph in a millisecond - that's a change of velocity that would kill you!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by colloredbrothers

It's possible? I'm in. This will be my new project of 2010. Lol i said in a previous thread, if its possible im going to do it.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi

It's possible? I'm in. This will be my new project of 2010. Lol i said in a previous thread, if its possible im going to do it.

haha
good luck m8 but I think you need allot of preparation and equipment. If it was easy to do, then all the skydive junkies would do it.

come to think of it, i wanna skydive hmmm

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

At 120,000 feet, the air is so thin that "terminal velocity" is much faster than at lower altitudes. The guy that jumped out @ 103,000 feet got to a speed of 714mph. So it's safe to assume that if this guy is jumping out 17,000 feet higher, that his TV will be in the area's of 800-900mph.

In other words, he's gonna need to drink a lot of Red Bull's!!

[edit on 22-1-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I would like to know why a person falling to earth from the edge of space doesn't burn up like a meteor or a satellite falling out of orbit. Same laws of physics apply to a human body as a rock or spacecraft. Any ideas?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Joe Kittinger has been one of my Hero's for a very long time, he made the jump even though he had a small hole in his glove and the blood was pooling into the area, he said when he jumped, it was like nothing you could ever imagine, total silence for several minutes, then deafening wind.

His jumps are now being used I believe to try and make space jumping a means of escaping from craft in orbit, if you have seen the Movie Star Trek (the newest one) they do in that what NASA are working on I believe?
Space Jumping

Kittinger was said to have broken the Sound Barrier during his jump, but Kittinger himself said he hadn't.

There is a great small documentary with an interview with him, but I cant seem to find it right now.

What this new guy is attempting is break Kittingers record, which has held for a very long time, Joe Kittinger IMHO is an all American Hero, the things he did went a long way to making many different leaps in understanding, and Technologies to overcome the dangers which are faced by Humans in that enviroment, even today many cannot grasp that he was in total silence for quite a lot of his drop.

Here is the video I was talking about with Kittinger interview and talk through, amazing guy, and amazing achievment.

[edit on 22/1/2010 by azzllin]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

It looks like fun for sure but i don't think i could do it.... i'd sHiT meself i think...

Paragliding or Parachute Jump i'd do but free falling sky dive like that.....

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I feel bad for the real pioneer types who do these absolutely insane things without precident simply because it was their job like during Excelsior and then some Ritchie Ritch douche type comes along with all the fancy modern equipment after somebody else proved it was possible with essentially a jacket and gloves and trumps up all this publicity and fanfare.

It erases the memory of the real feat and the real pioneerand replaces it with this MTV fueld pop-trash.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Meteors/Meteorites are traveling at much higher velocities. Anywhere from 10,000 to 150,000mph or more. This guy will only be falling around 800 to 900 mph, so he won't burn up. Since his velocity is being created in the atmosphere, he's having resistance from the beginning and will never fall faster than his terminal velocity. Meteorites are travelling MUCH faster than their terminal velocities before they enter our atmosphere, hence, they burn up.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Someone should suggest the idea of a challenge to Yves Rossy

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join