It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiger Woods being labeled a "sex addict" is a PR scam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I don't think Doc's defending him.
Actually the premise is that his handlers have elected to use sex addiction as an excuse rather than blame the pills. Most of us are inclined to hold Tiger personally responsible for his predicament, I think.

@EMPIRE I think a sex addict would be defined as someone who is unable to control their urges to the point it becomes a detriment to living a normal life.

And please don't ask me to define "normal". At this stage, I'm not sure I'd recognize it.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

If we use your definition Tiger is a sex addict. Also, I just wanted to add, the APA does not recognize sex addiction as a diagnosable disorder, but that doesn't mean it isn't a real disorder. However, for the sake of this topic we should have a common ground on what sexual addiction is.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I don't think people have a problem with the fact that he slept with seemingly hundreds of women. People have a problem with the fact that he was married when he did it. I can think of lots of pro sports players who are probably sex addicts, and the world doesn't begrudge them a thing unless they do it extramaritally. It's almost expected of them.

I wasn't put on this Earth to judge, but I do feel sorry for the wife.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
[edit on 23-1-2010 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Tiger Woods doesn't have a disease (can we please toss the political correctness???), he's a slime bag, liar and cheater, wrapped up in the guise of a world-class, affable, good-hearted, golfing idol. Sex addiction destroys the lives, souls, and hearts of many involved. I had a lover of 8 years that in the end, I found out was a very deceptive, lying male whore. He was arrested for soliciting sex to an undercover cop in 1993, in a mall bathroom. In 1998, 3 years after we broke up, he was arrested again for prostitution in a public park. Next timew they arrest him, I think they're going to throw him in jail. This is someone who got his masters degree at the Peabody Conservatory of Music, and plays viola around the world in world-class symphonies. He's smart, funny, warm, kind, gentle, and extremely loveable. But he's also a liar and a closet sleazeball. He knows what he does is wrong, that's why he keeps it all hidden, just like Tiger did. Honestly, I do not see it as a disease at all. It's human weakness for lust. We all have our weaknesses and sins, but some people have this particular weakness for satisfying a constant, nagging, desire to satiate their lusts. It rules and controls their being. They are wiling to risk everything, even their own life to satisfy their cravings for sexual activity. Tiger's problem is that he feel deep into lust and it consumed him, chewed him up and spit him out, and now he's paying for his sins.......what comes around, goes around Tiger!

g2

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
it surely is a pr scam.

woods also donated several million to haiti, which is very suspicious in its timing. it is my opinion that when a person has been able to reap much, they only gain more by giving back.

tiger woods business is his own, to an extent. he is a golfer, not an elected person. yes, he represents products, but it would seem that one's sex life is as irrelevant as one's golf game in determining whether products such as cell phones/nike gear, etc are worthwhile.

its an unfortunate thing that people look to athletes as heroes, when people who really do great things are widely looked over, such as those who help the poor, those who expand thought and consciousness, etc.

yes, placing a sphere within a given area is very skillful, but at the end of the day its not really improved the lot of humanity as much as say, a mother theresa or a gandhi.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by g2

woods also donated several million to haiti, which is very suspicious in its timing. it is my opinion that when a person has been able to reap much, they only gain more by giving back.

I don't think Tiger made any donations to Haiti. Russel Simmons said Tiger was going to, but Tiger's people said that wasn't true.

And I don't mean to categoize ever relationship, but when someone cheats in a relationship the more than likely reasons are that either their sexual advances were turned down or they were not being satisfied enough.

Tiger may have loved his wife, but as soon as they were married she became pregnant twice and possibly didn't want any more of tiger in heat. That isn't a reason to cheat, but you can see how somebody as rich and famous as Tiger could have thought it was.

Is Tiger a whore? Yes.
Are men going to call him a whore like they would a woman that does the same? No.

Why? There is a double standard becuase women aren't expected to cheat, becuase most of the time men want sex more than women. And if women are going to turn their men down, while men jump at every oppourtunity the woman wants to have sex, you can see where the idea of cheating comes into play.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
OK, let me put it to you this way, the amount of women Tiger has apparently slept with is NOT a result of sex addiction, it's a result of his celebrity and an obviously unhappy marriage (and I'm not trying to make excuses for what he did). See where I'm coming from?

The "sex addiction" label is being used to minimize the effect on his previously pristine reputation.

Peace

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Dr Love]

Absolutely !

I think the term you're looking for is 'Cop Out' .

Woody

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
well if he isnt a sex addict hes a serial adulterer... i hate the douchebag myself, he deserves everything he gets..

g2

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
the thing about cheating like that is, cheating on a massive scale, is that it can happen even in a 'good' relationship.

like all addicts, its a case of not just a few drinks, but a few hundred. one or two isn't enough, its got to be a huge volume.

i don't know if woods is an addict, but from the addict type behavior i suspect it is. i have addicts in my family, have read a great deal and have experience with them, and indeed that pattern is typical of addicts.

the thing is that addiction doesnt absolve anyone of responsibility or give them an excuse.

i think that woods is an addict, but also is using addiction as a pr move to put his career back on track.

one can find more info on the dopamine role in addictions, the 'rush', and its found from using substances, sex, shopping, eating, etc.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Lets see- young, super wealthy, super competitive, horny, on the road a lot.

What's so hard to understand? His only mistake and, it's a big one is that it isn't cool to do what he was doing when you're married. Especially when selling a clean image.

Drug addict? Probably not as much in golf but there are very few pro athletes in any major sport who aren't on something and usually are on a lot. Now that includes 'lesser' things like anti inflammatories and booze along with stronger additives like hgh and lord knows what but, I'd say it's pretty hard to draw a line as to what's acceptable. Maybe John Q needs to wake up a little there.

In Tiger's incident I'd guess he was fighting with his wife and got goobered up to try to quell that pain. Happens a lot.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
well if he isnt a sex addict hes a serial adulterer... i hate the douchebag myself, he deserves everything he gets..

Why do you hate him? Just curious.

Do you personally know him?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rocknroll

Look, is he a scumbag for cheating on his wife? Absolutely. Is he a scumbag just because he had sex with hundreds of beautiful women, sometimes for money? The answer is most definitely NO.

You make it sound like just because your ex was paying for sex that he was a perverted scumbag. Why is this the case? We can turn it around and say that women have the right to sell their bodies for sex, if they so please (it's even legal in Nevada), so why is it that a woman selling her body is an independent, liberated woman, but a man buying sex is a pervert?

Sex is one of the most natural acts a person can do (perhaps second only eating, sleeping, or crapping), so what is the source of all of the angst involved with it?

The only thing Tiger Woods is guilty of is having sex outside of his marriage; he shouldn't be seen as a pervert just because of the quantity or quality of said sex.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Firstly i don't see how any addiction could be considered cool what ever the addiction maybe. For all i care Tiger Woods could be a crack addict, hes a damn good golfer and it has no impact on my life. the celebrity news that is constantly being fed to the salvating fools is desinged for one thing.... to keep you stupid. how many people (especially young people) are interested in educating themselves about anything, # all, i routinely get called sad for reading a #ing book, but i bet pretty much everyone could tell you ten facts about people that are not benifiting us as a species in any way. i dont care if brad pitt just took a #, i care about our species self destructive nature and the fact that you would rather study someone elses life than your own. Whats more important to you knowledge of tiger woods or knowledge of self, but hey maybe its just me being kooky all i'm saying is if i ever start watching bull# reality tv or reading vile gossip magazines shoot me in the face a few times because i have no respect for any of that filth and even less for those brain dead idiots that believe it important

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
"Drug addict" or "sex addict"...........which one is more easily assuaged in the eyes of the public? To men, who are and always have been the main driving force behind Tiger's commercial domination, sex addiction is something seen as more acceptable and forgivable. Actually it's probably even considered cool in this sex-driven world the media has molded us in. Drug addiction on the other hand is a whole hell of a lot harder to get around from a PR standpoint. Was he not found snoring on the pavement after his wreck with Vicodin, Ambien and alcohol in his system? Seemingly that part of the story has all gone away now and all we hear about is how sex-crazed he is.

Whoever is handling Tiger's PR (probably Nike) is brilliant, but I'm pretty sure his real problem is the painkillers.

Sex addiction rehab??!!!......................give me a break!

Peace

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Dr Love]

I just wish they would drop it.I don't care about his personal life or any celebraty for that matter.They aren't doing anything good for the world so why should I care if they have affairs or are drug and alcohol abusers?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join