It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travel to Mars in Three Hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Travel to Mars in Three Hours

news.discovery.com

If you’ve ever taken a physics course, you know that nothing can go faster than the speed of light, 186,000 miles a second. Seven-hundred-million miles an hour. Everything physicists know says you can’t go faster. But some physicists and engineers think they can do an end run around the speed-of-light limit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

They say that ideas developed about 50 years ago by a German scientist named Burkhard Heim suggest that we could use a very strong magnetic field to push spacecraft into another dimension. A dimension where the physical laws that make the speed of light as fast as anything can go don’t exist.

Sounds unbelievable right? I's like traveling seven-hundred-million miles an hour. Some scientist say it's science fiction and nothing will come of it, but what if something does...

news.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Very interesting, although the only kind of law of physics in space is the stars, asteroids, and comets that may or may not get in the way.

No friction, so what would being in a different dimension do?

But hey you never know, i'll be sure to read it.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
How do we know just what this other dimension would be like ? They speculate that the FTL speed limit may not apply in the other dimension but what if we " get there " and find out there speed limit if 40 mph ?

Have they ever created any such dimension where tests have actually been done as to what can be expected ?

Why do they assume that the FTL speed limit would not apply ?

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well I read it, and it seems interesting, but I don't see a problem in shifting into another dimension, the problem i see is possibly shifting back or the physics not changing and staying the same.

And they were talking about going light speed, since when did humans have the capability of doing that?

Or am I wrong about what was said?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I have always thought about this myself. I know we cant travel faster than the speed of light, but what about if we could travel CLOSE to that speed?

You could cut your time to Mars, by 45 minutes if you launch from Your Own Private Space station!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Good questions, perhaps it would help if we can get notes of the German scientist somehow.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Hehe...that's a sweet deal !

Second line.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I just came across Heim Theory proposed by German scientist Burkhard Heim, apparently this is what the scientist are working on. But it's in German

Edited: Nvm that just found the English version
www.heim-theory.com...
Heim's Theory of Elementary Particle Structures| Journal of Scientific Exploration - This is a PDF file.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

You see what I did ,december? Classic.

If we could achieve something close to the speed of light, I wouldnt think Mars would even be on the menu.
Imagine if we could travel that fast. We could reach some of the exosolar planets out there, and maybe make some kind of contact.
Or not.

But so many factors play into the idea of that kind of speed. We need a stable vessel, first and foremost.

You dont want to be flying that fast in the NASA equivalent of the "Chevy Hatchback". That is essentially what our shuttle would be at that speed.

Then comes the question of fuel. There are plenty of theories out there, nuke powered and whatnot. But we need a practical, and most of all CHEAP means to make something move that fast.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
old news the same they said 4 years ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

using the search ats you might find more on this.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Very good points Max,

I agree. Forgetting the technical nuts and bolts questions of actually getting into this alternate dimension, how can they make assumptions about a hypothetical alternative dimension..when it's imaginary?

Are we to assume experiments have yielded undisclosed discoveries in extra-dimensional research areas?

If not, how can they make such statements based on pure conjecture?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Agree with you, however, Heim's theory is modeled after 5th-6th dimension. So I am guessing the fuel cost may be less. It's highly technical for me. Perhaps some of our ATS brains can look into the above links I posted of Heim Theory.

top topics

join