It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball league for white Americans only

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You ask them to stop, and the fact that it took 14 years for a black woman to win it after they were allowed to enter and then to have her crown snatched because of a "scandal" it makes sense to continue on. Again, if racism by whites were not a factor there would be no Miss Black America. So address why it is here in the first place before you go telling me or anyone else to ask them to stop.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

There rules state:

2. Teams will consist of ASIAN AMERICAN PLAYERS, with RULE 3 as the exception.
3. Two (2) NON-ASIAN AMERICAN roster spots per team.

That's a "roster spot" it's for equality, not every team HAS to have 2 non asian players ... it is there as I said for equality.

The league is CALLED the Asian American Basketball league ... what are you trying to argue the fact I placed "only" in my sentance? the league name should sum it up for you, it would state "MIXED Asian American Basketball League", would it not ?

I am sure for a Caucasian American Basketball League to come into existance there will also need to be the same type of equality laws otherwise it may not come into fruition.

My point being is there is already a league for a specific race ... so why add further - this diversifies sport does it not?

To be honest I think someone was fishing for a reaction

Kind Regards,

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

How do I so say "fail"

once again the League is called the "Asian American Basketball League" and a "roster spot" does not mean that every team has mixed players. It's there for equality only. It would more than likely be closed down if those 2 roster spaces for "other races" were not available.

Do you know how to read and interpret things correctly?

[edit on 21-1-2010 by ainsley]

link   
reply to post by mosesgunner

I will support this only if we make an all black national hockey league .

Seriously folks this kind of thing is so silly and I am a bit surprised people even have the time to think this stuff up .

Thanks to the OP'er for pointing this out

link   
reply to post by ainsley

You didn't just say "only" you said, "ONLY". Any logical person reading that will come to the logical conclusion of what was implied when you placed EMPHASIS on the word. Now before you respond, look up "only" in the dictionary as you need to understand it.

reply to post by ainsley

The fact they have roster spots and allow non-asians to play shows the league is not ONLY for asians.

Edited to add: the following is what qualifies one as an "Asian" player:

"A player must be 25% ASIAN (had ONE "INDISPUTABLY" ASIAN GRANDPARENT) to qualify as an ASIAN PLAYER."

In closing, you failed. R-E-A-D before you post links and cite them as proof.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by EMPIRE]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
From your views on this matter, it would seem that you only look at things from one side.

I never claimed to be perfect. I have opinions like anyone else. If you can show me specifically where I've posted anything incorrect, I'll be glad to review it.

I don't like racists. I'm not a huge fan of anyone who doesn't see the value in accepting people as individuals regardless of irrelevant genetic characteristics. I don't like people who have an agenda to be divisive. I'm not going to make a huge effort to attempt to justify anything I see as divisive or racist. There's enough racism and divisiveness to go around. No one group has a monopoly on it. To suggest that it's okay for Group A to behave in a way that's incorrect because Group B does is an indefensible argument, and it deflects from the topic at hand.

Some people are just flat misguided. Even when you make an attempt at seeing something from another "side", at some point you just have to make a call.

In my opinion.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't meaning to tell you, I was pleading with you to help stop the racism. Racism is alive and well in all corners here in America. The way to stop it is to stop seeing in color. If the premise of the hoaxer was wrong, so is a separate pageant for people of a different color.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

It is ... and they have those 2 spaces or "Roster Slots" for equality or the league wouldnt exist.

Again it would not be called an Asian American Basketball League if it wasn't soley for Asian Americans to ... play ball with other Asian Americans.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by ainsley]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

How do you stand on the Miss Black USA issue? I think in a color-blind society, which is what Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr had for a goal, a separate pageant for a particular race is divisive.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
One more question?

How about Italians? The southern Italians don't look like no Caucasians to me.

There is a lot Asian blood in the European countries like, Poland, Russia, Romania, just about everywhere but Germany, and the Irish are mixed with Spanish blood so don't tell me the Irish are white, maybe some, I stodied histery.

Another thing if it's for White people then some Cubans and Puerto Ricans, and Brazilians, have to be in too cause some of them are white white.
Puerto Rican are Natural Born Americans, this team is confusing me.

Alexandro at ATS is a White Mexican from Texas, can he play?

I still think it's a hoax.

Ziggy Strange

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I guess all the games will be like those on the movie "Hoosiers".

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
As this is diverting into a race discussion i want to add my 2 cents from an occurrance.
I went to post sec. school in Toronto and there we had MANDATORY multicultural classes. Now i knew i was in a little trouble when i walked into the room and i saw the most stereotypical Jamaican woman ever. I knew i was in real trouble when her opening remarks were something to the tune of "Now students do you know who runs toronto?" the class "provincial branches mixed with city officials etc." she kept saying no and kept asking so we thought there was a correct answer. Ohh she eventually gave it alright "The people who run Toronto are the rich white men."
Now i was floored by this, okay the statement as off as it may be is fine but this was a class teaching us how to interact through different cultures and this is how she started?
The class than proceeded to have a long discussion about how they were so sick of being the minority and that they are put down in society, the outcasts. As this is going on i look around my classroom, myself, another gentleman and three women where the only white people in the class. In fact visible minorites are more that 51% of the population of Toronto now.
I had such a problem with the class and teacher that i spoke to the school and told them i would not engage in such a class. We where literally discussing ways in which people had been discriminated against by white people.
I never finished my schooling there.
Now im fine with melting pot societies different races whatever fine, but im 24 ive never known real racism and neither have any of my friends, yet but because im white ive somehow had a more priveldged life? Because some white guys hundred years ago did? give me a break.
Yet they have some free pass to exclude themselves?
Thats the issue i have, people think the white man made society and we gte to choose who is a part of it, so if you choose not live in our society and create your own thats fine your just avoiding our white world.
Nooo thats not the case, we all live in a society created by all of us and once one race starts excluding another we feel left out. I feel left out from my black friends, i feel left out from my brown friends, i feel left out from my asians, and they feel left out when they are with my white friends. If we just stepped back and realized where all left out, well %**&% all would still change because brother thats the way she goes.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ainsley

I just showed you proof it isn't solely for Asians. Friend, their own words basically tell you it isn't solely for Asians, as they consider "Asian" to be someone who is 25% Asian and allow two slots for those who are not 25% Asian. I'm sure the following players are Asians...

Larry Johnson
Tommy Jones
Andy Sanderson
Theo Jamis
Jeff Ritteron
Josh Lambert

In closing, R-E-A-D before you cite something as proof.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
How do you stand on the Miss Black USA issue?

Different topic. Briefly, I'm fundamentally not in favor of anything that separates us by ethnicity.

And for full disclosure, I think all "pageants" are a crock, anyway so it's not like I give it a lot of thought.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You keep missing the point and this will prove it once and for all, because you'll either answer it in ignorance or avoid it.

Why was Miss Black America created?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Oh the good old days ...

Racism can be so graceful ...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigDaveJr
I guess all the games will be like those on the movie "Hoosiers".

So is this White only League going to play only other Whites? No playing the NBA?

How are we going to know which league is superior?

The Blacks have the Harlem Globetrotters, they can be the Dixie Nightraiders.

Ziggy Strange.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystrange

I guess if You start a whites only leagues,down the road a Handicapped Basketball league will have to be started up(just to be evenhanded).

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Thank you. I feel that quite a few white people born after the mid 1960's ( not me- too old, not white ) are saddled with sins of their fathers. I think a lot of people look at that as being okay, as if they deserve it, as retribution. It is sad. Nice talking with you.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

I can see this going on for some time, alas I will wave the flag and take a loss, however, I still stick to my guns and say regardless of % race it is still an asian league and named so for a reason, only 2 non asian 'roster spots' available for reasons of equality.

The point I was making was that if there is an asian league which no one seemed to even know about - why can there not be other leagues based on the same factor?

If it cannot be allowed then why allow all the other race only institutions? it just seems strange that in this day and age ... there are so many one sided arguements.

Anway your point is taken onboard oh wise Empire *placed the pun about the empire strikes back firmly under his rug*

Cheers for the debate - was fun!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join