It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Removes Limits on Corporate, Labor Donations to Campaigns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Supreme Court Removes Limits on Corporate, Labor Donations to Campaigns

www.foxnews.com

"In a stunning reversal of the nation's federal campaign finance laws, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Thursday that as an exercise of free speech, corporations, labor unions and other groups can directly spend on political campaigns."

"Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the main opinion, which reads in part that there is "no basis for allowing the government to limit corporate independent expenditures."

"But this decision was a terrible mistake," he said. "This court has just upended that prohibition, and a century's worth of campaign finance law designed to stem corruption in governme
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The last quote was from John McCain but it wouldn't let me post his name.

This is very bad in my opinion. I disagree that it is a limit on free speech to keep corporate interests from donating limitless money to Campaigns. I agree with what John McCain says, that this will cause people to lose representation. As far as I am aware, citizens are limited in the amount they can donate to a campaign, where as it sounds like with this ruling corporations won't. If that is the case it is ridiculous that corporations are granted more rights than people.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yes this marks the end of repreentation for and by the people in america. Now only the corparations "too big to fail" will rcompletely run the show. This bank tax limmiting obama crap is purely for show, a populist media blitz by obama to gain some popularity back and when he does they will drop it and it will be put on the back burner.. has any other president been more loyal to the bankers than obama? maybe woodrow wilson? but thats it..

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
There goes what was left of our great country. Your president in 2012 brought to you by________ (insert corporate entity of your choice)

EDIT: I imagine our next president will be wearing something similar to this at the inauguration:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f825918383ee.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
All the mouth breathers that voted for Obama to stop the way Washington does business just got their wish. George Soros now runs/owns this country. He will pour unlimited money into campaigns and really buy off some politicians. Obama appointed Sotomeiyor to pass laws just like this. Free speech has nothing to do with this. If Bush had done this the left hypocrites in this country would have thrown a sh*tfit. I am glad the messiah did so our country won't fall into anarchy.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Now THAT's Funny right there - I don't care who you are, oh wait - this is real. I find it very funny that this is being hailed as a "triumph for free speech" - but the local pub can't say they're having a "Super Bowl" Party in an advert without getting sued....they have to say "Big Game" Party.....America, what a Country....

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
All the mouth breathers that voted for Obama to stop the way Washington does business just got their wish. George Soros now runs/owns this country. He will pour unlimited money into campaigns and really buy off some politicians. Obama appointed Sotomeiyor to pass laws just like this. Free speech has nothing to do with this. If Bush had done this the left hypocrites in this country would have thrown a sh*tfit. I am glad the messiah did so our country won't fall into anarchy.

ummmmm . . . from the link:

In a written statement, President Obama said the high court had "given a green light to a new stampede of special interest money in our politics." He called it a "major victory" for Wall Street, health insurance companies and other interests which would diminish the influence of Americans who give small donations. Obama pledged to "work immediately" with Congress to develop a "forceful response."

"The public interest requires nothing less," Obama said.

and . . .

Dissenters included Justices John Paul Stevens, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

i'm not thrilled with O so far either, but at least read the article prior to blindly swiping at the guy

[edit on 21-1-2010 by SecretGoldfish]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretGoldfish

How did the Supreme court has taken a step into our political process that has to do with congress.

Looking back to what the Supreme court did, actually are they stepping on the job of congress? that actually are the ones that are elected by the people, while the supreme court is not.

Is the supreme court over stepping its powers?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecretGoldfish
ummmmm . . . from the link:

In a written statement, President Obama said the high court had "given a green light to a new stampede of special interest money in our politics." He called it a "major victory" for Wall Street, health insurance companies and other interests which would diminish the influence of Americans who give small donations. Obama pledged to "work immediately" with Congress to develop a "forceful response."

"The public interest requires nothing less," Obama said.

That is just spin. Easy to say that after you appoint the judges that pass this. If it isn't overturned in two weeks then it is under the rug. I am sure he will end this just like he ended lobbyists. He is a liar and I am now convinced the most elite president we have ever had. Can't wait til I hear this quote from him as he is from Hawaii. "Let them eat spam."

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Is the supreme court over stepping its powers?

The bigger question is, IF they are overstepping their powers, then what recourse do we have?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
For what its worth - a couple of pages of comment on this in existing thread here.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

The sad thing is that they are not overstepping their boundaries. They are appointed to uphold laws and change them if they are unconstitutional. They simply did their job. This is very bad.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

sotomayor DISSENTED, meaning she did not agree with the decision

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

After the initial shock, now I am starting to use some logic here, who is paying our supreme court behind the peoples and governments back to take steps like this one all on their own.

Something smells fishy here.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Let's call this the "Buy a president Day"

You will henceforth never ever have a chance at an honest president anymore!

You might as well paint your flag completely red

Good Luck to you all!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

congress passes laws, the supreme court rules on their constitutionality

it's kosher process wise

haven't read the decision yet so i don't know how easily congress can get around it, assuming they'd like to . . . which who knows?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretGoldfish

Congress is no going to do a darn thing, why? because remember they are whores.
they probably pimping themselves for the sell off.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I suppose now would be a good time to get in on some sort of campaigning/marketing business...making buttons, signs, etc... Looks like there will be plenty of money to be made

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Canis Lupus

forget all your bs conspiracies... this will actually destroy America

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Are we going to be able to see something like a FDA with tags on the politicrap lapels that tells who bought him off?

I like to know who bought the politicraps people will be voting for, like bought by china bottom, bought by the Taliban, bought by Hamas, Pakistan, the Emirates.

Lord and behold the money flow is going to be incredible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join