It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I HATE "No PLace For Hate" zones.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I hate these signs.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83b3b3452e3f.jpg[/atsimg]

Am I the only one who feels a subtle sense of oppression whenever I pass by one of these signs? It started out in schools in order to combat prejudice and bigotry and now it seems to have moved to the point where whole communities have become “no place for hate” zones.

No Place for Hate® was developed to organize schools to work together and develop projects that enhance the appreciation of diversity and foster harmony amongst diverse groups. The campaign empowers schools to promote respect for individual and group differences while challenging prejudice and bigotry.
Every day we make choices. We can choose to let anti-Semitism, racism, and other forms of bigotry go unchallenged and potentially escalate, or we can choose to confront the bias that we see in our workplaces, homes, schools, and communities. As our world becomes smaller and our schools and communities more diverse, it is more critical than ever to actively build bridges to cross-cultural understanding and mutual respect.

ADL

What I find disturbing is the part about confronting “hate” in the workplace, home, school and community. Does this mean I could loose my job if something I say happens to offend someone? How long before police start enforcing these “no place for hate” zones?

And who is it that defines “other forms of bigotry”? The ADL is known for being a left wing group. Would speaking out for securing our borders against illegal immigration be considered a form of prejudice?

I can only see this as conditioning for the masses to accept hate crimes legislation in the future.

There’s even a pledge.

Resolution of Respect
I pledge from this day forward to do my best to combat prejudice and to stop those who, because of hate or ignorance, would hurt anyone or violate their civil rights. I will try at all times to be aware of my own biases and seek to gain understanding of those who I perceive as being different from myself. I will speak out against all forms of prejudice and discrimination. I will reach out to support those who are targets of hate. I will think about specific ways my community members can promote respect for people and create a prejudice-free zone. I firmly believe that one person can make a difference and that no person can be an "innocent" bystander when it comes to opposing hate. I recognize that respecting individual dignity, achieving equality and promoting intergroup harmony are the responsibilities of all people. By signing this pledge, I commit myself to creating a community that is No Place for HateTM.
Click on the button to the left. Your signed Resolution of Respect will be added to our Honor Roll of Respect.
Thank you for your committment to make our communities No Place for Hate.

Resolution of Respect

It makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

What ever happened to free speech? Do we, as Americans have to give up our right to speak our mind just because someone might be offended?

It seems I’m not the only one who feel this way;

Wicked Local

Man wants ‘No Place for Hate’ sign to come down.

WATERTOWN, MA —
When Ralph Filicchia came across a “No Place for Hate” sign on a pole outside Town Hall, he was, to put it in his own words “offended.”
On Tuesday, he came before the council with a message and a plea to take down the sign and rescind a Town Council proclamation honoring Watertown as a “No Place for Hate” community.
“The proclamation is discriminatory and a violation and infringement upon my civil rights as an American citizen,” he said. “I want the right to speak out without being guilty of a hate crime.”
Within 30 days he wants the sign gone, and the proclamation taken back.

And if it doesn’t happen?
“We might have a problem,” he told the council.
According to Filicchia, a retired Bellevue Road resident and freelance writer, the “No Place for Hate Committee” is a “radical organization” that decides for the town what to do and say when it comes to encouraging diversity and promoting multiculturalism.
“That’s just not going to happen,” he said. “…As far as I’m concerned, I wouldn’t care if 75 percent of the residents in Watertown were red-headed Irishmen named O’Toole. However, it seems that the diversity police might have trouble with that … To me, that’s high-class racism.”

I don’t know how that case turned out but I hope he was successful.

Am I the only one who is bothered by these signs?

[edit on 20-1-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I really don't have a problem with those signs.

What's wrong with saying we wont put up with your racist crap? Where is the harm in that?

There is no place for bigotry in any society that wishes to prosper. Bigots breed bigots...I would know...it almost happened to me.

I don't think this is anywhere near stepping on free speech. It doesn't say "make a racial slur, go to jail" it says we won't put up with it here...so find another place to spout it.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Post one of those signs outside every single mosque in the US. Every single mosque should have a sign like that posted!!!
Then followed up by law enforcement when non-muslims are discriminated against with hate speeches by imams in the US.

If there was a sign like that at Ft Hood maybe things would have been different. Maybe we need to recognize that anti-Americanism is hate.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
To me the most simple question regarding this practise would be who decides what is hate and how far will the definition be expanded once you start the practise? Anyway if I ever visit America I will make sure I get up to date with what is considered hate speech during the time of my visit. Not that I consider myself to be a hateful person but I have been known to tell the odd Irish joke.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

My problem is that "hate" can be very broadly defined.

The best of intentions are often turned against us . They start out fighting against anti-semitism and racism, a position everyone can agree with. Soon, we discover criticism of Isreal has been defined "anti-semitic". How long before certain quotes from the Bible become labled as "hate speach"?

In some parts of the world this is already happening,even right next door.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Miami Herald:
Posted on Thu, Jan. 07, 2010
Man taken off Miami flight said he `wanted to kill all the Jews'
By JENNIFER LEBOVICH
"An Ohio man who became loud and disruptive aboard a flight from Miami to Detroit -- at one point telling those around him he ``wanted to kill all the Jews'' -- was removed from the airplane before takeoff and arrested late Wednesday."

I think that would be considered hate and bigotry.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Honestly...I have to say come on...

This is a neighborhood watch type thing.

I get they can expand hate speech to a lot of things...they can do the same with hate crimes...the only thing you can do is stay vigilant. Keep an eye out, and once that line has been crossed take action. Because honestly what I thought when reading this was "man..this guy may want to freely walk around spouting racial things at people" After seeing who you were, I don't believe that, but that was my initial thought.

I commend communities that have the chutzpah to say they won't stand for bigotry. All to often people don't.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
Post one of those signs outside every single mosque in the US.

Why? Because every muslim american supposedly hates and acts extreme? We should listen to your own generalization which is part of the ignorance in this nation and do the same? I would not want that sign to be posted in front of every christian church in america because I know many christians who are respectful and tolerant.

SG

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

Yes, that's definately hatred and bigotry, but when did speaking your mind become a crime?

I remember in my youth, that police would be forced to stand guard at KKK marches to protect the klansmen from violent protesters.

While I found the views of the Klan abhorrent, I was proud to live in a country where even they had the freedom to express their views.

Can you see this happening today?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Post one of those signs outside every single mosque in the US.

Why? Because every muslim american supposedly hates and acts extreme? We should listen to your own generalization which is part of the ignorance in this nation and do the same? I would not want that sign to be posted in front of every christian church in america because I know many christians who are respectful and tolerant.

SG

Until incidents like Ft Hood, Detroit imam shooting and killing an FBI agent, busts in Boston, NYC, Denver all at mosques then maybe there is hate being preached inside along with plans to kill Americans.
I don't think churches make plans inside to go out and kill people, do they?
Realistically, hate that results in violence needs to stop and there have been more than a handful of incidents involving Islamic mosques in the US.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
i really didnt know that people who were going to commit "hate speech" and racism would be stopped with a sign..
oh well, at least we know what we can say and where if we were thinking about it.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

from wiki
"Hate crimes (also known as bias-motivated crimes) occur when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group, usually defined by racial group, religion, sexual orientation, disability, class, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, or political affiliation.

"Hate crime" generally refers to criminal acts which are seen to have been motivated by hatred of one or more of the listed conditions. Incidents may involve physical assault, damage to property, bullying, harassment, verbal abuse or insults, or offensive graffiti or letters."

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by james420
i really didnt know that people who were going to commit "hate speech" and racism would be stopped with a sign..
oh well, at least we know what we can say and where if we were thinking about it.

It's a step toward zero tolerance.
And there are laws. We just don't enforce the laws and we should as indicated by Ft Hood.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Until incidents like Ft Hood, Detroit imam shooting and killing an FBI agent, busts in Boston, NYC, Denver all at mosques then maybe there is hate being preached inside along with plans to kill Americans.

Until "christians" apologize for their role in slavery and killings and discrimminations in history, until they apologize for their involvement and ignorance during the Nazi genocide, until they stop killing in the name of the lord maybe they should all be labelled extremests, racists and murderers.

Really? Are you kidding me?? How many people have killed and sinned in the name of God?? Im not even going to even both with that statement. Maybe you should go read up on history, and no not your propaganda BS, real history on what many so-called "christians" did and are doing now.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

yes...they can still have their rally's and i have seen police standing right in front of them keeping everyone else at bay.

the klan still has the right to say whatever they want. they still have the right to have police stopping people from stepping on their rights.

but a community has a right to say they will not stand for it. to just go somewhere else. isn't that what protesting a klan rally is? but you aren't saying to stop those.

you wanting these signs removed is stepping on THEIR right to free speech.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

You're kidding, right? I went to one just like that, and scary enough it was just a Catholic church!

Nothing like all those bombed out abortion clinics, or Matthew Shepherd, or wives that step out of line with their husbands that they are supposed to bow to, huh?

Realistically, hate that results in violence needs to stop and there have been more than a handful of incidents involving Islamic mosques in the US.

If you are singling out one group that has members that participate in such low-brow behavior without looking at other groups....

I for one have no need to focus on one hateful type, I do just fine looking down upon all neanderthals that preach hate, regardless of race, creed, religion or any of that other stuff.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

from wiki
"Hate crimes (also known as bias-motivated crimes) occur when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group, usually defined by racial group, religion, sexual orientation, disability, class, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, or political affiliation.

"Hate crime" generally refers to criminal acts which are seen to have been motivated by hatred of one or more of the listed conditions. Incidents may involve physical assault, damage to property, bullying, harassment, verbal abuse or insults, or offensive graffiti or letters."

That seems like a pretty broad definition to me; "harassment, verbal abuse or insults" are a crime! C'mon people grow a thick skin. People are too quick to find offence from another's words.

What ever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me?"

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

The only hate I've seen in the US comes from Islam. Sorry, I don't go to Utah much but I do live in the South and even blacks and whites get along here.
I have had death threats from muslims... so... I don't know what personal experience you have had but maybe you can enlighten us.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

That seems like a pretty broad definition to me; "harassment, verbal abuse or insults" are a crime! C'mon people grow a thick skin. People are too quick to find offence from another's words.

What ever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me?"

Usually those are tag on crimes that add jail time to the criminal. Much worse has to happen before someone is arrested in America. We are a very liberal and free country and we usually settle our differences but there are occasions of violence that needs to recognized.
So if a muslim calls you a kaffir, an infidel or throws a shoe at you, that's a religious insult and you should report it.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

I live in the south...blacks and whites do not get along as well as you are making it out to be..

neither to blacks and mexicans..or mexicans and whites. or whites and asians..blacks and asians...mexicans and asians..

lets face it..the reason these signs are put up places is because they were seen to be needed.

also...i have not gotten one ill word form a muslim. I've seen white and black people mess with muslims though. turns out those people where Indian (the country) and not muslim

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join