It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'underground world' of Naples [BBC VIDEO]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Wow - I did do a quick search but could not see anything but if posted please remove.

A new research project has begun into the caves that lie below the Italian city of Naples. More than 900 have been discovered so far, but that is believed to be only a third of what actually lies below.
The caves have been dug out over thousands of years and used for everything from aqueducts to air raid shelters.

Link

This is what we know about! Just think what's down below us made by ancient man... then think what is down below made by modern man and his machines. Fascinating!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Great find!!

What struck me most was the bit about the caves being dug for "5,000 years"!! Naples was a Greek Colony around 6th century BC but it was inhabited, apparently, from a much earlier date - and there's good reason for it actually. The location combines seaside (always a good site for settlement in antiquity, as were river banks), plenty of food around (both vegetation and game), moderate climate and...Vesuvius! Now, that was not exactly desired but it could make a good "holy place" for ancient people (a mountain that smokes and spews fire? What else but a god's residence?) and a constant thing to worry about (as in every self respecting religion, there must be a "catch"! At least, this one was tangible enough!)

Congrats mate! S&F for digging this up (pun certainly intended
)

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I think near the seaside wold be the last place people would actively want to dig out caves for shelter. where is the water table located?

Same reason the homes in florida don't have basements, and it cost a fortune to dig an inground pool. the water table is about 3' below the ground level making any kind of digging hard, and everything has to be continually pumped out.

I'm not denying your claims, nor have i seen the show, I just don't understand it.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The video is quite short, just shy of 3 minutes. Watch it, it is quite good!

As for digging tunnels/caves near the seaside, perhaps Mediterranean seaside offers some sites better suited for the job than Florida, not all seasides worldwide share the same properties. Maybe they starting expanding on existing caves/tunnels and since there was no "flood" or water rising from the water table below they kept at it. the fact remains, the tunnels are there for all to see

top topics

join