It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds Fastest Computer (AMAZING!!!!!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
i googled to see what the worlds fastest computer was and i was surprised to find this out

To put things in perspective, let's start with the computer sitting on your desk -- the computer you use on a day-to-day basis to browse the Internet, handle spreadsheets, create documents, etc. Most people have something like a Pentium computer running Windows, or a Macintosh. A computer like this can execute approximately 100 million instructions per second. Your particular machine might be twice that fast or half that fast, but that's the ballpark.

The fastest computer in the world is much faster than that, and it is sitting right on top of your shoulders! The human brain is an amazing computing device and the fastest processor available right now. Let me give you an example:

Your desktop computer is just starting to get to the point where it can "understand" speech and take dictation, translating spoken words into written words. It can only understand one speaker, and that speaker has to train it for about 20 minutes, and the dictation software will still make a lot of mistakes. So 100 million instructions per second can barely handle dictation.

Your brain, on the other hand, can understand any number of speakers. It needs no training and will make zero mistakes. It may even be able to understand multiple languages! And the speech processing portion of your brain is just one small part of the whole package -- your brain can also process complex visual images, control your entire body, understand conceptual problems and create new ideas. Your brain is made up of about one trillion cells with 100 trillion connections between those cells. We might take a rough estimate and say it is handling 10 quadrillion instructions per second, but it really is hard to say.

In the 2006 TOP500 list, which ranks supercomputers by speed, the top three supercomputers are as follows:

IBM's BlueGene/L - 360 teraflops
IBM's BGW - 115 teraflops
IBM's ASC Purple - 93 teraflops

Another supercomputer called MDGrape-3, built by the Japanese company RIKEN, has a theoretical maximum speed of 1 petaflop (1 guadrillion operations per second), which is three times faster than the BlueGene/L. But MDGrape-3 can't run the official ranking software of the TOP500 list, so BlueGene/L remains at the top of the list at 360 trillion operations per second, which is pretty fast...but it's still not as fast as your brain.

computer.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus lMost people have something like a Pentium computer running Windows, or a Macintosh. A computer like this can execute approximately 100 million instructions per second. Your particular machine might be twice that fast or half that fast, but that's the ballpark.

Geez, when was that article written? I'd say a "typical" range for MIPS right now is in the 20,000 range, not 100. Check out this list at Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org...

Chips that only do 100 MIPS are from around 1995. Even my iPhone can do around 1,000 MIPS.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor

Originally posted by l neXus lMost people have something like a Pentium computer running Windows, or a Macintosh. A computer like this can execute approximately 100 million instructions per second. Your particular machine might be twice that fast or half that fast, but that's the ballpark.

Geez, when was that article written? I'd say a "typical" range for MIPS right now is in the 20,000 range, not 100. Check out this list at Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org...

Chips that only do 100 MIPS are from around 1995. Even my iPhone can do around 1,000 MIPS.

lol im not sure when it was written i just found the article and was interested in it

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor

This is quite true. However, it's even more irrelevant than it is true. The point is that no computer, anywhere, even comes close to the processing power of the human brain.

Now, in my opinion, this is a GOOD thing. If we can equal the processing power of the human brain, logic dictates we'll be able to surpass the processing power of the human brain shortly thereafter. What happens when faster computers become available? The older, slower ones become obsolete. What happens when the human brain becomes obsolete? Presumably, so do we.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
There is a computer at Los Alamos National labs that uses 24"diameter pipes in it's liquid cooling system.
I don't know how fast it is.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Maybe we should start using human brains in our computers.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well, hat's all well and good. What about all the other things our "Brain-Computer" can do?

Unlimited Memory: No worries about Cmos Batteries going Flat: I guess our Brains are more prone to damage by Particualr Viruses in the same way our PC's are:

There's one Advantage the PC has over our Brain and that is, Repairability. Our personal Computer doesn't have to worry about Dementure, Alzeihmers and other diseases. If anything fails, we can "Transplant" the failed part in a matter of minutes.

I guess though, the Personal Computer will end up surpassing our Brain in the Memory Department, Sometime in the Future.

I just wish our Brain could be Upgraded when Old Age hit's us.
Wouldn't it be good to Replace the old 386 Processor in your Brain for a "Quad Biops Organic Chip" (My Trademark Chip) running at 100,000 Million operations per second??.

Well, maybe not... I don't want 5 Cooling Fans running at 5000rpms bolted to my Skull...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l

Your brain, on the other hand, can understand any number of speakers. It needs no training and will make zero mistakes. It may even be able to understand multiple languages! And the speech processing portion of your brain is just one small part of the whole package -- your brain can also process complex visual images, control your entire body, understand conceptual problems and create new ideas.

But this doesn't happen immediately, it takes years and years for the brain to reach this kind of understanding and complexity...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It wont be long before they map a human brain, they seem to already be working on it as we speak. Apparently they have already recreated a cats brain from what I understand. Anyway here is the link to the project using the BlueGene supercomputer.

bluebrain.epfl.ch...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Its a fact that if you could find a way of installing your computer in a fridge or freezer, you would increase its capacity 200 fold. So the idea of large bore cooling pipes is also fact.

I have a liquid cooled system myself, used for post processing photographs. A standard fan based board can not keep up with my work flow in the wedding season.

respects

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
How about 24 ssd's in tandom . . . . anyone could have an ultra fast pc if you can afford the ssds

Nice

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

The human brain, while powerful, is prone to making lots of mistakes. Lots and lots and LOTS of mistakes, and has great difficulty in recognising when it has in fact erred. If your desktop PC's CPU had the abilities of your brain, your spreadsheets would contain lots of errors, and half way through saving your Word document, it'd get depressed and turn itself off. Great.

reply to post by captiva

That's nonsense. 200x? Just by putting your computer in a fridge or freezer? Someone should tell all the overclocking experts, who run their machines as fast as possible (usually using liquid nitrogen, which is much colder than any fridge or freezer), as they an only reach 2x to 3x the power.

reply to post by constantwonder

That's good for lots of IO, but processing any data moved around (you know, actual computing) won't be magically improved by 24 sexy SSDs. I love that video, by the way. I've got to get me some

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
The revelation in the bible might be talking about the artilect war in the future. It's at least 20 years away, perhaps later.

It's not inevitable, but earth will have to live without advance robotics indefinitely. Otherwise you'll risk the occurrence of this war.

Hugo de Garis, Xiamen University, China

CABA (Chinese Artificial Brain Administration) would be a government agency that employs 1000s of scientists and engineers to design and build artificial brains for China's home robot industry (and other applications). Home robots will be one of the world's richest industries in the 2020s.

Now.. do you still want your robots?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

The revelation in the bible might be talking about a tasty bagel - as it's a work of fiction and has no bearing on actual life, looking to it to predict the future is ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder
How about 24 ssd's in tandom . . . . anyone could have an ultra fast pc if you can afford the ssds

Nice

OMG Thank you for this.. I've been looking fro this video and couldn't remember the search string to find it again!!

Awsome HUH??
)

Can't wait until that gets reduced down to a normal usable package.

Instant on windows and cloud computing is the future

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
When they put einstein's theory data into a super computer it crashes, according to a documentary on discovery.

Who needs super computers, hey? Well we do now i suppose...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
In fact we cannot compare roughly human brain and an electronical proccessor.

The processor is binary.

In term of calculus : we are now the sub species on planet earth !

In fact with a quantum processor : this will become funny !

In other word : the complexity with quantum processor is no more complex : but simple

A problem you think is complex : ie : will take 1 000 000 operation on a normal processor

can take 1000 operation.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It is really so hard to compare a brute force approach to computing to what happens in an 'inference engine' like a human brain. Our brains take mini snapshots of reality and is able to link these frames with relationship tags of similar experiences in a frigging instant.

It seems the more times these frames get a valid hit (eg ... one that leads to the storage of new information) , then they score up a probability curve that eventually results in the storage of this information permanently, and they become part of our belief system and a hard fact, or a fact as far as this particular brain views reality.

Today, even with the emergence of massively parallel computing platforms, we can not even touch the data storage and retrieval capabilites of even a dog or cat.

Neural networks that we can produce in software and silicon today, are really such primitive examples of how the brain really works, that they may not be capable models of how we should approach this science in the future. A breakthrough discovery is really required to get a handle on how the brain really works.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
You all speak about intelligence and consciouness, and human brain ( and psychology ).

BUt : i think some of you even don't understand complex thinking which is more than critical thinking ( and simple thinking )

Complex thinking : is accepting that things are complex.

There is not one definition, one tag for on thing : and there is not one link in the network between things.

Things are complex.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Neural network : yes but this is not the only solution will tell you the IA.

On more misconception great "neural network" exists : but there are alternative.

I read this yesterday : www.wired.com...

What do you think will be "Wolfram alpha" ?

There is a need of psyche, and psyche, ego, will, ( "just" a system, just" a feedback)

Or are scientist so stupid in human science ?

I think most ai scientist : want a "human like ai" (priceless for them) but they really don't understand what they want : if they cannot even define human AI : how could they copy it ?

[edit on 23-1-2010 by psychederic]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join