It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello, medation at all?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Hi, im new here. And i was wondering if anyone has any advice on all aspects of mediation for a beginner like myself. I really want to try this as i feel it will be beneficial to my growth spiritually. Im looking for things like - Types of mediation, the purpose of mediation, finding my high self or consciousness and all that. And im also interested in hearing which you all think is the best method.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS! I'm sure you will get all kinds of advice on meditation. I am guessing you are most interested in something derived from an eastern religion such as Buddhism or Hinduism, so I'm not going to be any help there! I would just advise you that when you open up your mind to whatever may come in, you should realize that what comes in may be an entity that won't have your best interests in mind!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
When I meditate I sit "Indian style" , rest my hands on my knees and then just start out by concentrating on my breathing. You will find there are several different ways your body breathes. I go in through the nose, out through the mouth. You should find a routine that works for you to clear your mind.

Mine is

-Stretch out abs and back before even sitting
-get comfortable
-throughout the meditation I think it helps to remind yourself "do not dwell on your thoughts, acknowledge them but don't dwell!"
-learn the Chakras, what I do is start from the bottom and work my way up with each inhale/exhale cycle. I think of each color while working my way up.
-I use a simplified version of a technique I read called "Rising Heart" and I just say to to myself (in my head) "In with Light, out with Love" while I breath.
-After meditating I try and stay in the "lightened" state and I will give my thanks and condolences to Earth and my religious deity. After this I am done
-Remember , to practice the emotions you get from meditating EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME to the best of your ability , I think this helps meditation in the long run

you will find that there are many different techniques and forms of meditation. Personally I stick to "my" method only but I'm sure it wouldn't harm to try many different types. Don't expect to levitate the first night because if you have never practiced it it may take a while to just calm your mind, after that I think it just comes naturally. You already have access to all you have it just takes practice to be able to use it.

glad to see your interested and happy hunting!

I should say I don't have ANY formal meditation "training" other than the method I use. I saw in the post above mine that "entities" may enter you that are not in your best method, this is why it is important to keep yourself "illuminated" while you are meditating. Also keep in mind meditation is 100 % its own practice, it can and may be used by ANY religion because it is not as much as a ritual other than a practice connecting to the higher levels of consciousness

[edit on 20-1-2010 by kyle43]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
A great way for a beginner to start off with meditation is to look up guided meditations online. A lot of the time you will be able to find some that are free downloadable mp3s. Also, look into binaural beats, and isochronic tones. Lot of people here on ATS will be able to provide you with a lot of info on meditation.

check this one out for starters:
iso-tones.com

Welcome to ATS!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearWinter
Hi, im new here. And i was wondering if anyone has any advice on all aspects of mediation for a beginner like myself. I really want to try this as i feel it will be beneficial to my growth spiritually. Im looking for things like - Types of mediation, the purpose of mediation, finding my high self or consciousness and all that. And im also interested in hearing which you all think is the best method.

Mediation can help conflicting parties come to an agreement. For instance, there is a movement in family law that encourages divorcing partners to come to an agreement via mediation, as opposed to a trial. This can be extremely beneficial in terms of reduced stress, less damage to children, and less overall anger and resentment. However, this tract is often ridiculed by other attorneys, who feel that the drive towards mediation is a cop out by family lawyers who might not feel as competent going to trial. Of course, going to trial results in a higher pay out to the attorney, so that viewpoint is likely mostly from self-interest. All in all, I think that mediation should be seriously considered for its positives, while acknowledging that settlement at trial is sometimes going to be the eventuality.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hey there,

I go to my bedroom, sit upright in my bed with back against headboard, legs out straight, hands cupped together on lap.
Lights turned out and quiet (find a time when you are guaranteed no disturbances) Mouth closed tongue on roof of mouth behind front teeth. Breath in through nose out through nose. Try exhaling longer than inhaling this will facilitate relaxation. Slow your breath down as much as possible without discomfort about 10 to 12 seconds for full in out breath. Close eyes. With each exhalation let go of more and more tension in shoulders and chest. Some will tense leg muscles for three seconds and then relax, then arms, toes and so on to fully release muscle tension.

Many use visualization of some kind to facilitate a deeper state of relaxation. For instance a stairwell or an escalator that goes down down down. As you descend you're feeling more relaxed. Imagine or rather envision a beautiful place at the bottom. I have used a waterfall pool area with fish, birds dolphins and trees and any thing else I want. When there you can do anything you want, break all the rules of physics enjoy and have fun, try to engage all your senses sight, smells, tastes, touches etc. and allow the place to heal whatever your troubles are. Then I envision myself meditating on a grassy spot while in my special place, each breath is warm glowing light and heals and feels great goes to all the spots of my body and energizes them.

Then when finished come up the stairs feeling more and more refreshed and awake with each step up until I reach the top About an hour in total.

hope this helps

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

reply to post by NuclearWinter

Hi, im new here. And i was wondering if anyone has any advice on all aspects of mediation for a beginner like myself.

Hi NuclearWinter welcome to ATS, check this link out
ATS Search: mediation I'm sure you will find something of interest. New members need to make 20 posts before they can author there own threads. So take your time, 20 posts is nothing. And it will give you time to see how ATS flows. We also have BTS for lighter topics.

If you have any questions feel free to message me or any staff member anytime, there is a link at the bottom of every post U2U's (messages) to and from the membership. At present your U2U capability is limited to staff only.

Here are some other links that may answer any questions you may have also.

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Terms and Conditions

Getting Started

(click to open player in new window)

Sauron

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Thank you all for your advice. I'm sure i will be back soon with many more questions, so get ready.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I do not claim to know that much about meditation i have read a few articles and i regularly attempt it myself but as i am haven't looked into it anywhere near enough it has been a case of trial and error. I find that ridiculously chilled out music helps me and so does smoking weed. Ive never had any "visions" or out of body experiences or anything like that (but i would very m,uch like to so i would like advice too) but i find that after half our or so i feel incredibly light. I tend to get stressed alot and it has helped me a great deal to control this. After meditating i feel so good that i really think if i had an addictive nature i could become an addict. The daily bull# becomes unimportant and i find it easier to ponder the more interesting and (for lack of a better word) deeper questions. i would advise everyone to meditate as i believe it to be not only benifical but nessacary for human progression

top topics

join