It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silver and Gold, simple advice and resources.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Many fear that the U.S dollar will fail thus resulting in the use of alternate currency/trade barter. I too have my own fears, some years ago I decided to start investing in precious metals. I have compiled a meager list of some resources that I use to obtain both numismatic and non, sources of silver and gold. I hope that this information is received well and I'm always open for suggestions.

*Disclaimer* I am not an investment expert. I am not selling any type of service nor am I advocating any type of investment strategies or techniques, this information solely my opinion and should be taken as such. I assume no responsibility for losses incurred by those readers who choose to risk monies in the gold and silver market.

Definitions:
Numismatic

Numismatics (Latin: numisma, nomisma, "coin"; from the Greek: νομίζειν nomízein, "to use according to law") is the study or collection of currency, including coins, tokens, paper money, and related objects. While numismatists are often characterized as students or collectors of coins, the discipline also includes the broader study of money and other payment media used to resolve debts and the exchange of goods. Lacking a structured monetary system, people in the past lived in a barter society and used locally-found items of inherent or implied value. A few people today still use bartering in absence of a monetary system. Early money used by people is referred to as "Odd and Curious", but the use of other goods in barter exchange is excluded, even where used as a circulating currency (e.g., cigarettes in prison). The Kyrgyz people used horses as the principal currency unit and gave small change in lambskins.[1] The lambskins may be suitable for numismatic study, but the horse is not. Many objects have been used for centuries, such as cowry shells, precious metals and gems.

As stated above and referenced from the Wiki site, the word numismatic refers to coinage or paper money. Many people believe that this type of medium is ill advised based on the current fears of the dollar failing. The U.S Mint offers a wide variety of numismatic options for investment in precious metals. I'll start with silver and work my way "up", though it should be noted that the purchase of these coins is available through the U.S Mint, they offer authorized dealer's in your area as well.

American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins:

American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins are affordable investments, beautiful collectibles, thoughtful gifts and memorable incentives or rewards. Above all, as legal tender, they're the only silver bullion coins whose weight and purity are guaranteed by the United States Government. They're also the only silver coins allowed in an IRA.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6202541c1602.jpg[/atsimg]

These coins contain one Troy onuce of point (.999%) pure silver. They generally range in price (current year) from spot to just above. Simplified, you are paying the price of the amount of silver in the coin and sometime a bit more for the minting, although the face value may be lower then what you actually pay.

Older versions of these coins sometimes increase in value depending on what collectors are willing to pay above their value in silver alone. some examples include:
www.bestcoin.com...
www.silver-eagle.us...

Other U.S silver coins include please check with your local coin dealer for prices and values.

Gold coins:

Authorized by the Bullion Coin Act of 1985, American Eagle Gold Bullion Coins quickly became one of the world's leading gold bullion investment coins. Produced from gold mined in the United States, American Eagles are imprinted with their gold content and legal tender "face" value. An American Eagle's value is based on the market price of its metal content, plus a small premium to cover coinage and distribution.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/96a78111d6ef.jpg[/atsimg]

Face slection for American "gold eagles" minted in four weights as follows, - 1/10, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 ounce. Prices for these coins range from $100 to almost $1500 (current) Values

Many example of the above mentioned coins exist, please be advised that purchase of these coins through a reputable dealer is advised as many counterfeits are passed off to unsuspecting buyers.

Non numismatic or bullion.
This section contains examples of gold and silver that are not minted by the government. This option is a more reasonable approach as is is possible to buy in relatively affordable amounts.

Silver bullion: [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/67550d53963b.jpg[/atsimg]

These examples are available for purchase in almost every coin shop and reputable dealer and for many, represent the bulk of their collection. Ranging from silver "shot" to 50 troy ounce and above.

www.monarchpreciousmetals.com...

Gold Bullion. Available in many quantities, this option is not for everybody as the price of gold is very high. I have provided some links for the reader to review.[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01691344b955.jpg[/atsimg]

www.learcapital.com...
www2.goldline.com...
bullion.nwtmint.com...

I hope this information is useful please exercise caution when investing in these products, take care and above all have fun!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I am by no means an investor, just an observer (hope to become a big one someday
).

Aren't gold and the dollar go up and down inversely it seems?

Gold is also at a high.

I just don't see if gold is so in the spot light right now, if it can remain that way and continue growing.

I think the U.S economy will rebound and the dollar will rise back up, and gold will fall a bit.

Don't really have a clue about the markets just throwing my thought out there.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Yes, silver and gold are on the "up and up" and if people's fears are correct, they'll be the only reliable source of value after the dollar collapses. I have tried to provide a simple list of resources for investing in these comodities, it is not (of course) all inclusive but it's a start for some and provides some basic information

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Gold and silver are timeless, safe investment. They are not making any more of either so it is a finite resource. Gold has many uses as does silver which makes both a great barter item in the case the dollar totally collapses.In the event that the dollar does not collapse then you have the gold and silver on hand and could be held or sold to get cash back. If the dollar surges for some crazy reason then the price of gold and silver will more than like;y grow with it meaning you can make some money on it.

top topics

join