It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let US build a face on EARTH...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
So I have been thinking lately why don't WE build a gigantic face on Earth facing the sky? Yea, I realize the economics involved, as well the whole "the face on Mars is a shadow/light trick", but regardless why don't WE make one? At the worst it will be an epic undertaking that will preserve our species forever IMHO.

• So where should it be built?

• In what image?

• Should it be anything more than a monument to humankind?

Any opinions would be fun to discuss...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/43a6b411fb07.jpg[/atsimg]
    Courtesy: NASA/JPL

• posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:14 PM
    link   
    I like the idea

I reckon there should be a few built, so nobody gets jelous, one for each race maybe?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:17 PM
    link   
    Yeah ... why not ?

Why not build DOZENS !

And my first vote goes for the face from Mad Magazine ... the one over which they superimposed the grinning mug of Dubya !

Second would be Hilary and Bill Klinton ... both smoking Three Stooges type cigars

Next would be Obama ... the one where he wears the Egyptian headdress

How about Madeline Albright ... who better for the face of the milk of human kindness and grandmotherly charm straight out of the Big Bad Wolf ?

Next should be a BIG pair of plumped up lips --- above two equally big silicone breasts -- what better to personify the gigantic strides made by Earth's advanced chimps ?

Then a big swastika next to a big menorah next to a Papal hat

Gee yeah .. let's leave some lasting memorials of Earth's greatest achievments

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:17 PM
    link   
    reply to post by valiant

That would be great, but really only one would be made(unfortunately due to economics)...

Maybe a computer designed neutral face built around our equator?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:19 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Dock9

NO ONE....would get their face made.....It would have to be a neutral face...

But I think it should be made...(maybe containing all of our scientific data, blood, etc...)

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:23 PM
    link   
    reply to post by jkrog08

Yeah i'd go for that, destination makes sense also!

If we were gonna do it I think we need to think BIG!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:35 PM
    link   
    Mother nature has beaten you to it:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:38 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Chadwickus

Maybe so....

But let us build one for real, no nature, nothing but artificial design, maybe with a beacon w/ a radio signal always going out to space....

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:52 PM
    link   
    Go right ahead... I mean, all you need is enough land to do it... Actually I imagine that you would need quite a bit of land in order to build a face big enough to see from space....

Now, if you were somehow able to acquire that much land, the question becomes what material would you use to build it? I imagine that you would want this face to last as long as possible... So that any intelligent civilization could see it and know there was/is an intelligent civilization on earth...

In order for it to last a long time we would have to take the environment we build it in, into account. For example, if it rains a lot where it was built, dirt would not work because it would be washed away...

Now also keep in mind if the idea is to show any intelligent civilizations that may happen to stop by, that there is on here on earth, there are already tons of things on earth that would let those aliens know intelligent life exists/existed.

You can see the great wall of china from space, and then there are the many sky scrapers that would hang around for quite some time... Mt Rushmore... etc...

All that said, if you can do it, I say great!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:12 PM
    link   
    First let me say Krooooooooog! Long time no chat!!!

Anyways, I say yeah lets build a face. Why not?! I agree it would have to be neutral because you know you will have someone take offense if it doesnt look like their race....lol that always happens. I think making a computer generated image of all races and using one face from that would be cool. I would have no idea where to put it. It would have to be somewhere where it would last and where it wont get ruined by the people around it. I would say probably somewhere in Europe but that is my preference
    As far as materials well again I am not really good at that but I think a rock structure like the pyramids or the sphinx would be cool.

BTW I love the face on Mars and you know my stand on it
    I am still working on that thread too!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:40 AM
    link   
    LOL, for some reason when I read this I was instantly reminded of the thread about the Solar system being a timeline. Perhaps the face on Mars is the one the future you built?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:21 AM
    link   
    Why not simply do one of these:

Simple and to the point: A big smile pointing out into space to show that we aren't all bad, that the goodness lives in us!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:37 PM
    link   
    This would actually be such a good idea!

Even though we wouldnt be able to 'reap the rewards' so to speak.. it'd definately freak out some passing aliens a few million years down the line.

I say we add 'humans on tour, 2010' underneath it as well.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:37 PM
    link   
    Why don't we try and get everyone fed properly first.

Then skip the face thing and start working on those big toxic sludge islands growing in the oceans, you know,the ones we can see from space.

After that we could like all learn a musical instrument, and make songs up or something.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:18 PM
    link   
    reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Nah, who cares about feeding people when you have an insanely large face to build!
    Although, we could build this face, and then start up some helicopter trips so everyone can admire its brilliance. Then all profits can go to the starving & miscellaneous deprived people of the world. Job done

Another suggestion could be to build a giant Chuck Norris. Aliens wouldnt dare invade us if they saw that.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:58 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Bluebelle

Chuck Norris ATE all the dinosaurs into extinction last time he got hungry.

new topics

top topics

join