It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 US soldiers head to Haiti as violence intensifies

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I personally would have thought that this would have been one of the first things to happen. Dropping supplies by parachute cant believe it took so long. This would have dampened down the violence and encouraged people to help each other.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by enca78

I doubt it, it would encourage more violence as people fight for it and not distributed evenly amongst the people. No to mention people would take it and sell it at high price. Nice try though but useless and just propaganda. Chavez would agree with me.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Troops from the US to be increased to 14,000 and more on standby.

This will be added to the UN troops that will be arriving from other nations, Portugal will be sending troops now also.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by enca78

I agree. I cannot belive the violence ive seen. In the paper yesterday, there was a photo of a man beating a DEAD body with a stick, while a crowd of people watched. Then i read the article that went with it. The body was completley naked by the way, and tied by the hands and feet. what had happened was the dead man had gone into a richer part of the town and got caught, by the police for stealing food for his family. The local policeman handed that despirate man to the people that lived in that area. they hung him from a tree, then tied his dead body to the back of a car and dragged him through the streets. He was then beaten with a stick, by the man i saw in the photo. Ive never heard of such disgusting mindless violence. And that was instigaited by the the local authorities.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by squidley_35

saw that too, bunch of savages, even some kids looking on

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Im sorry but i think i am right. If they had used the airstrip to deploy the UN and medics etc and also the troops and while they were doing this deploy food and basic medical supplies by parachute then its my personal feeling that people wouldnt have became frustrated. The violence and looting has only started recently because they were hungry and needing help. People seem to forget that!!!! Right or wrong?

[edit on 19-1-2010 by enca78]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Canada is sending a total of 3000 troops now and 2 warships...

What's going on?

Prepping the world chessboard for a quick "check"???????????????????

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

The warships are needed to support the troops that countries will be sending, remember that the support in the ground is for the aid, troops have to be supported indecently.

You just don't send large amounts of troops without having a way to support them.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by enca78

Dropping aid by parachuting will not decrease or prevented violence in the first place because there is a limit to how much you can deliver by plane. Also as I said before that it will not be evenly distributed and people will have fought each other over the aid that was dropped from. Imagine one slice of pizza dropped amongst a group of ten people starving to death. How will that scene progress into?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snappahead

Looks like the South Americans are pretty big contributors according to that list. It's great that the US and Canada are stepping up their aid during this disaster, but I think it's important not to ignore the contributions of smaller, poorer nations as well.

How much poorer can you get than $12 trillion in debt?

I do think the "smaller, poorer countries" should get credit for doing what they can. I also really think there should be a "list of shame" for countries who CAN afford to help, but dont.

Maybe we can start with the Saudi's.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The amount of money raised for Haiti by the British public exceeds that given by the gov't ! Hats off to the Brits !

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by enca78

Wrong.

The violence and looting started immediately, as soon as some people realized how easy crime would be when the world falls apart. And all those violent criminals who got lucky and had their jail crumble around them? Do you think they were sifting through rubble, helping to save people? Please, let's be realistic here.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProRipp
The amount of money raised for Haiti by the British public exceeds that given by the gov't ! Hats off to the Brits !

Same for the US....

People here at ATS want a "Haitian" conspiracy? Let's talk about all the money that has been raised both public and private. Over the next year somebody should track how and where it was spent.

Between the US and UK alone there are a few hundred million [or more] dollars coming not only from the Governments but the private sectors. Not to mention the rest coming from all over the planet. Theoretically the dollar amounts raised could exceed the population level in which the amounts would be several thousands or tens of thousands per person.

This amount is above and beyond what has already been and will be spent on food, medicine and supplies.

I can see potential for large public works projects. New Hospitals Schools and "other" "infrastructure" programs. Yet after it is all said and done there will be again not enough "Jobs" to raise taxes to pay for it all to maintain it in their future.

But we the citizens of the world will feel much better about what we did for poor Haiti.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
There was an interview on UK TV with a woman who claims she is paying local police to protect her shop.
In such countries as Haiti, I'm afraid corruption is endemic.
There was bound to be looting - not survival looting but looting for profit. But it does seem as if the situation was exacerbated by an exceedingly slow trickle through of help.
It does seem as if the situation has been badly handled, raising questions over what is actually going on. And these questions have been appearing in the MSM - it's not limited to the tin foil hat briggade!
I think when the dust has settled, we need a full scale open and accountable public enquiry.
But not holding my breath....

[edit on 21-1-2010 by unicorn1]

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join