It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 US soldiers head to Haiti as violence intensifies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The USS Carl Vinson is now using its Nuclear reactor to desalinate 400,000 gallons of water per day for Haiti.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Well, it was inevitable. When you have some kind of disaster situation like this and all these people start starving and dying of thirst, they will start doing what they need to do to survive. I am just waiting for the outrage that will follow when a group of soldiers does what they have no choice in doing, and kills rioters and looters that were endangering lives.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
What are 10,000 soldiers going to do with 9,000,000 people? Watching CNN, a report said while it is true US troops are carrying weapons they are unloaded. They want the people to know they are there to help not run things.

I see the people who control water and food wanting order, but making people stand stand in line all day in the heat for a few persons to hand out a ration has to to be infuriating. They need to saturate the country with supplies so people are not fighting over things.

When the people know food and water are readily available, they can stop being a mob and start self rescue and rebuilding.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Why are the US sending in troops ? Theres no oil in Haiti ? Is there ? It's the UN forces who should be sent !

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

It is hoped that armed American troops will quell the unrest when they arrive, but it is unclear exactly when that will be. Canada has also promised to send 1,000 troops to support the relief effort, in addition to the 500 already there.

Looks like the only nations providing security assistance to this disaster are the U.S. and Canada. Where's the other U.N. nations with their assistance?

Here find out

Countries assisting Haiti in Green

Humanitarian response to the 2010 Haiti earthquake

Ghe, what a coincidence most of the grey[non supporting] countries are muslim

Anyways, i think aircraft carriers can do an outstanding job since the airport is overrun by planes, but 10.000 soldiers? isnt that a bit too much? That is about the same ammount the UK has in Afghanistan..The EU is about to send police officers to control the peace, people need aid and some police officers to control a riot here and there, 10.000 looks like an invasion..
I must agree with Zosynspiracy, our planet can not bare 9 billion people, there are simply not enough natural resources, fish etc. There will always be [in]balans, more people will be just more poor people, and more people being productive will also mean natural resources will exhaust faster...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

By your theory the whole world is a cess pool. Corruption is rampant everywhere perhaps no where as great as it is here in the U.S. We have politicians that do what they want when they want. We have children killing children, adults killing each other and babies. We are suppose to be a civilized country but we are far from it. We cannot allow the children or people to suffer in Haiti or the cycle will continue. Maybe if we had helped this country and its people long ago rid themselves of the bought and paid for leadership they would not be stuck as they are now. But what can we do when we ourselves are stuck in the same cycle of corruption and worse in a cycle of greed? We have a chance to change the situation in Haiti for the better but if we allow the status quo than that is what we shall recieve. Population control is not the answer, TPTB have tried that before in Germany, and more recently in China. The time has come for the World to wake up and realize that we are being lead around by a nose ring. Some are forced around by poverty others are lead to the same results thru greed. The end result is the same cycle of failure and death. Imagine if We the People actually had control over own, maybe we could fix it all...but after watching the news I doubt it as too many are in it for themselves alone.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
Well, it was inevitable. When you have some kind of disaster situation like this and all these people start starving and dying of thirst, they will start doing what they need to do to survive. I am just waiting for the outrage that will follow when a group of soldiers does what they have no choice in doing, and kills rioters and looters that were endangering lives.

Exactly...

Their Airport is tiny and it's already backed up. The best way in or out is through the use of Military Cargo Aircraft that require much shorter take off and landing lengths. They need to transfer Food, Medicine and Supplies to those capable military crafts from the larger inbound commercial crafts.

Members here should give them a break for Pete's sake!
It's a friggin logistical nightmare.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
People are scared, worried, starving, dehydrating, while dead bodies fester and bloat and rot for days in the open streets. It's not Haitian nature, it's human nature to panic, loot, try to survive. Anyone thinking any country would do otherwise is fooling themselves. My heart was breaking for them, as I watched the bulldozers scooping up and dumping bodies into dumptrucks to be hauled away, an d buried bereft of any decency into mass graves.

And it doesn't matter what the U.S. does, they will be ridiculed and scored either way. Look at the people doing it in this thread alone. We went too many. Too few. Why are we there? Why aren't we sending more? They really can't win, no matter what they do. And while you dredge up more conspiracy theories, the soldiers are actually doing something. They are trying to keep hotspots orderly, line folks up, give them much needed supplies. They break it down if looting starts, and then start again. They are doing whatever they can. There is no power, lights, phones. Hospitals are using crappy wood saws, sterilized with vodka to saw off limbs of children by flashlight. And people say.. they deserved this?

When I look at a disaster like this, you can tell the nature of man NOT by watching the Haitians, but rather by watching the "civilized" nations react to it. And much of what I see and hear disgusts me. Sometimes I marvel as a species, we've survived this long.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Oh great. I just love it when the American martyrdom starts on ATS threads. "Oh no! We're helping but we're still disrespected. We're the saviors of the world but no-one loves us".

10,000 American troops? Fine, no problem there but let's not overlook the fact that America destroyed Haiti long before this natural disaster came along.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

The article I just posted in the Earthquake thread says that most of the American troops will be on ships!???

The fears about security seem to be so overwhelming that they are not being deployed within the city in significant numbers, not just American troops but UN peace keeping forces as well. Perhaps in the days to come.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I think that decision can't be made in one night. It's not so simple. There's no peacekeeping force army out there, the troops are voluntarily provided by each country. So it takes quite a while to put those troops together. In the meantime US army for example has everything in place and soldiers on duty to take them into field pretty much immediately.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by elfie

Interesting.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Come on what the hell did anyone expect? Haiti is an overpopulated cess pool of corruption and ignorance. The international community needs to let the chips fall where they may. People NEED to die. The ENTIRE world population needs to be reduced by half. If we don't allow some aspect of natural selection in this world we are ALL doomed in the end. Our children and the children of Haiti will never make it if we don't let nature take it's course sometimes. That's not to say let Haiti suffer but you also can't let a country like Haiti continue to breed and overpopulate or a natural correction WILL HAPPEN! People nowadays live in a goddamn bubble. They think life is all lollipops and puppy dogs. It's NOT! We live by the laws of nature no matter how comfortable and technologically advanced our lives become. God is nature and nature is god's will. You either learn to adapt to nature or you perish. Simple as that. Haitians have not learned to adapt. So their population will be reduced.

While I wouldn't maybe agree entirely with your post I will say that it disgusts me the way the people of Haiti go on television complaining!

They complain that there's not enough food, that not enough is being done, That aid isn't coming quick enough and so on. The international communty has and is still doing an awfull lot for these people who are incapable of looking after themselves.

I have not once heard a Haitian say to a reporter what they are doing for themselves! All I hear is ungratful moaning.

To say that this kind of ungratfulness "makes me mad" ,is an understatement.

And because Haiti's citizens can't even conduct themselves properly more American soldiers are going to die to help an unworthy cause.

[edit on 18/1/10 by Jimmy1880]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Ive just made another post regarding the fact that the french are un happy regading the US.
Heres the link but heres an interesting part, they turned an aircraft away carrying aid, although it landed the following day.? I thought every second counts?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have to say, im glad we are sending a good amount of support. I dont really see any fighting between US military and the local population. They want help and we are there doing the best we can.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

10.000 looks like an invasion.

Imagine what it looked like when President Clinton sent 20,000

In the past, American interest in Haiti has waxed and waned. President Clinton sent 20,000 troops there in 1994 to restore President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to power, an intervention still viewed today as producing, at best, mixed results.

www.post-gazette.com...

Funny how the US didn't bother to take over Haiti with 20,000 troops and I seriously doubt they will do it with 10,000.

It is not an invasion. The US is merely trying to help provide peace and security in a moment of chaos.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
US runs the Southern Command in this site of the world it is expected that US will provide with security and first response to any problems in any country in this side of the Hemisphere.

That is why US is expected to have the most troops in Haiti, once everything stabilizes the UN takes over.

More on how the Southern Command works.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think had they set up food, water and medical stations on the perimeter of PortauPrince, via helicopter drops, that the ability to control the people would have been substantially increased and the panic fear response of the long wait would ahve been reduced.

Instead of running through the streets waiting for emergency response teams to set up water and food stations, they would be heading out of town to where they could get assistance away from point zero.

Had aid been forthright instead of delayed, it would not be as dangerous a situation as it is now.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

The UN and US experts say anywhere from 9 to 11 billion people can be supported on Earth if conditions continue, after that, an oscillation wave begins. That's where massive starvation and die offs begin.

www.earthsky.org...

And FYI, top soil is not hard to fertilize. Africa is just about the only place of serious concern, and that's not hard to predict. When the last ice age occurred, water went to the ice caps. The only place on Earth seriously destroyed was Africa, simply due to it being one of the largest continents around, and at that time, and still today, the largest land mass near the equator zone. As such, it is expected.

Also, about vertical farming

With a raft of studies suggesting farmers will be hard-pressed to feed the extra 3 billion people swelling the world’s ranks by the year 2050, Columbia University professor Dickson Despommier believes a new model of agriculture is vital to avoid an impending catastrophe.

A recent exercise conducted by students in his medical ecology class found that a self-sustaining vertical farm able to feed 50,000 people could “fit comfortably within a city block,” rising perhaps 18 stories. With adequate funding, a smaller prototype could be up and running in seven to 10 years, he predicts. Eventually, full-scale versions could be a new feature of city skylines, climbing as high as 30 stories and filled with automated feeders, monitoring devices and harvesting equipment. And, of course, they would feature crops such as wheat, rice, sugar beets and leafy greens grown in mineral nutrient solutions or without any solid substrates at all.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I'm currently studying architecture for a future career. As far as I can tell, we are well on our way to making it a reality. Like it or not, at this point in time we are studying applications in vertical farming, and city "sky scrubbers" based off it that would make pollution a thing of the past.

Earth can sustainable support 9 billion people. It can keep up with current growth measurements. However that does not mean wait till then to do something. It means start now. And that's just what we are doing. As such, we'll be able to keep up for this century. By next century we'll be on other worlds and the problem won't exist anymore.

I'm sorry, but the world's scientists agree. You're wrong.

Matter of fact, I don't think it will be much of a problem, but I'll upload some images of previous projects I've been involved on with such designs.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety

Looks like the only nations providing security assistance to this disaster are the U.S. and Canada. Where's the other U.N. nations with their assistance?

Busy in dust-bowl countries, stealing oil from the ground.

Is that what the German, French, British, and rest of the U.N. member countries' militaries are up to?

Yes; any further questions, I'd be happy to elucidate.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join