It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The psychology behind "Doomsdayers"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'm not a doom-sayer, per se...more of a "gloom-sayer." That is, I don't expect a traumatic apocalyptic event. I just see a long, slow grind downwards into a tattier, more frayed and seedy lifestyle. A more threadbare world, where things are increasingly cobbled-together out of toothpicks and airplane glue, and everyone has an extra layer of grease on their faces. Crasser, cruder, darker...but the flame will gutter on.

I suppose you could read something about my psychology into it, but to be honest I see deep denial of home truths on every level, everywhere I look. I don't think people are mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally, or financially prepared for the future, and I think it will lead to rusty doldrums of "muddling through" and "just getting by." Piecemeal solutions will come and go, there will be lurches down followed by short-lived mini-surges upward, and people will tell themselves everything is OK. Eventually I suspect many will find themselves retired and semi-senile, perhaps living in high-school gymnasiums converted to emergency overflow old-folks homes. Stacked up like logs on mis-matched bunkbeds. Maybe they can take solace in next-generation antidepressants and neural-interface virtual reality, swinging on a mind-vine through the forests of Pandora or realizing at last (if only in their skulls) the tarnished fantasies of youth.

[edit on 1/17/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Something is wrong with doomsday theorists psychologically...

Whether it be exposure to the media, movies, or an inner problem; something is wrong with those whom support them.

It is very possible that many of them are egotistical and believe the world will end when they do. I like that you proposed this.

Otherwise I think a lot of people just believe them out of fear.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheForce411
Something is wrong with doomsday theorists psychologically...

Whether it be exposure to the media, movies, or an inner problem; something is wrong with those whom support them.

It is very possible that many of them are egotistical and believe the world will end when they do. I like that you proposed this.

Otherwise I think a lot of people just believe them out of fear.

Just out of curiosity, are you talking to yourself? The OP's user name and the user name you use are curiously similar, and both were registered within the last 2 days. Your diction and opinions are also identical. I don't know if this is a simple coincidence or not, but if not, the terms and conditions specifically forbid multiple accounts held by the same user. Just a friendly note.

All the best,

Silent Thunder.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I believe in 2012 - new age , not doomsday. I WANT AN ICE AGE , not some deadly comet aliens bursting people's brain or something people say. I want people to start something new and live their own lives , without the government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join