It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new Epoch, The Darkages with Firearms!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Well where I live is not exactly 3rd world, but people here are much closer to their agrarian roots.
Sometimes reading all the doomsday predictions out there, and the sorry state of the world it looks like people are hoping for it as much as fearing it. Like perhaps things have gotten so bad an enforced 'reset' seems like a good option.
End of the world as we know it comes up over and over, but I must admit this time it seems a lot more widespread than usual. What I wonder is if there is a real difference or maybe its just an artifact of the Internet ... more and larger fertile ground for these things to grow.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chett
reply to post by zysin5

Sometimes reading all the doomsday predictions out there, and the sorry state of the world it looks like people are hoping for it as much as fearing it. Like perhaps things have gotten so bad an enforced 'reset' seems like a good option.
End of the world as we know it comes up over and over, but I must admit this time it seems a lot more widespread than usual. What I wonder is if there is a real difference or maybe its just an artifact of the Internet ... more and larger fertile ground for these things to grow.

You make a great point about being an artifact of the Internet! Never before have people had such knowledge at their finger tips! And the networking to connect with others and manifest so much!! Our world has really changed since the 70's and 80's!
The internet has really had its affect upon the hive mind that is no question!

There are many people who manifest the end of the world.. There are many people who manifest the world to change!
All of this energy at some point will change this world.. However I do not think it will be the end all of human beings..

Thats why some out there take such great lenghts to build super underground cities, and bunkers to ensure that when the Earth does change, humans are still around to see and adapt to that new change.

I will end with a joke..
The only thing that survives after a nuclear war are cockroaches, and the Elites of this world in their underground cities!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
300 million people in the U.S. will have the same idea. Leave the city for good hunting grounds. There will be no rural areas anymore and nothing to hunt.

Seriously, you think ALL city dwellers are going to up and run to the woods. I;ve met grown men who wouldnt walk in the woods at night for fear of opossums! I think most city dwellers would try and fight it out for what is left at the stores. Maybe 50% leaving would be an more accurate guess.

I have no basis to believe or disbelieve that solar storms will happen in my lifetime or do the damage that is speculated.

I do know that I have been through at least 3 weather events that left our power off for more than a week. It was challenging at times but never more than a nuisance. We learned to love the peace and quiet and played a lot of board games by lamplight. I have had to go out and forage for medicinal plants during an icestorm since my wife had a terrible flu and we couldn't get out to the store. We did lose all our frozen meats as I cooked them on the woodstove and then buried them outside; a pack of wild dogs came during the night and carted off every bit of it. Lesson learned there.
Many people would no doubt perish out of sheer ignorance and despair, again I think about half would be a realistic number to die within the first year of such a scenario. Those with seeds, livestock and land would make out fairly well if they could keep the starving hordes away. Of course that's what AK47's are for.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
--We in the north woods know that the city dwellers will come--we are prepared for that --the bridges and roads will be impassable. WE know what desparation will do to people--In my town if you were not born here or if you have no family connection, to bad, and too bad for those who moved here thinking the north woods would be a great place to retire. But i can say this cause i live in the woods 8 miles from a small town with deer bear and room to really live away from it all--and my chickens are doing a dozzen eggs a day---WE know they are comming and we are ready. Its your fault for living in a city, trusting in the masses aroung you to live. as for a world without the powergrid --shoot kool-we are still tough here

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

What's the point of living out in the woods in case of the end of civilisation happens? You've not living in civilisation now, so for you it already has!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Star for you. We do make our own choices in life. To live in the city was to believe the myth that modern society can handle anything. We'll find out soon enough

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious

What's the point of living out in the woods in case of the end of civilisation happens? You've not living in civilisation now, so for you it already has!

I can''t answer for wildone but I want to survive to, i dunno, maybe eat, sleep, watch the sunset, feel the wind. You should try living without ANY electronics for days at a time, you might be surprised at the results. THERE IS LIFE WITHOUT ELECTRICITY!! ITS TRUE!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

To the uninitiated, living way out may seem to lose its civilized gleam. But trust me and many others here, life in the wilds is great and quite civilized. We have plays and music at the local grange or firehall. We have socials and get-togethers where we discuss politics, philosophy, and the weather. As for conveniences, well anytime I can buy hydraulic fluid by the 5gallon bucket, fertilizer, clamps for the well pump, dog food, and 2 cheeseburgers to go..oh, and .22 rounds and some gas for the truck...one stop shopping at its best. Seriously, we have book clubs, church groups that take trips to points of interest and dinner theaters. Not to mention some of the nicest folks and best cooks anywhere. Really, you should try it...nothin' better than a cup of coffee watchin' the sun come up, hearin' your roosters crow, with the smell of bacon and eggs on the wood stove... except maybe a good lookin wife in her long t-shirt cookin'em.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

So you're living a life, for the most part, 100 years behind the rest of us? I'm not criticising, I'm just pointing out that what you call civilisation is far from what others would call it.

I'm sure it's wonderful and blissful - I really do. I'd just rather live with all the benefits of mankind's labour, than without it in case we should one day lose it.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Hi Alreadygone! I would agree that living out in the country has its perks and its a very civil type place to live! Heck.. I think it would be more civil out in the middle of no where.. But aside from all that.. My point here about being out in the boondocks is the fact that you would have a much better chance of getting through something like I have been talking about.

Being in the heart of a city.. Or even in small towns that have the city feel...

The loss of power would be one thing.. Its the waterfall effect that I have worries about..

Most of us who have weathered the storms and been without powers for weeks only have 1 small taste of what would be to come..

If the whole nation had power loss.. It would lead into many other things..
Such as food supplies would stop running.. Medications would stop running.

Rescue helpers would be on their own.. Hence putting you in a place where you have to only help yourself and family members.. We couldn't just call for help.. We would be on our own!

I am thankful that I had so many great members comming in here to add their thoughts in a very civil manner!

Our society right now is a system built upon other systems.. Where power is at the very core of everything we have right now..

I think we as a nation could pool together, and get over 1-4 months without power.. But over that is when things would start to get iffy..

I am sure their are plans in place by the powers that be if this wide spread event would happen..

And I know for sure not EVERYone would suffer without any power at all...
There are people with generators.. Propane.. and other gas type energy.

Not everyone would be caught with their pants down... Many people are prepared for such an event..
Yet its those who are not prepared that would worry me.. What lengths would they go too?

As I stated before.. This event would either bring out the worse in people.. Or the very best in people!
And in saying that.. I think it would be 50/50.. Not all bad, and not all good..

But Gangs would sertinly profit from such a mess.. This would give them a golden ticket to the cities of the USA and beyond.

Gangs already run the underground of society at this point.. And through in some chaos, and these groups would take advantage of this...

Gangs and the underbelly of society would be the lesser part of our world that would make alot of trouble.. and be very hard to contain unless there was military there to stop them..

But this leads us down a dark thought process.. And I would rather not get into all the negtive... But its best to hope for the best.. and Prepare for the worse!

Thanks again to all that came into this thread to give your thoughts!

There is still many people out here.. with alot to add.. So feel free to do so!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Star for you. We do make our own choices in life. To live in the city was to believe the myth that modern society can handle anything. We'll find out soon enough

Thanks for stopping by here Asktheanimals!

Its true.. We just may find out soon enough.. And if we don't find out.. Well thats just dandy!!!
I enjoy the modern lifestyle I live, and have lived all my life.. Yet growing up I was taught about the other ways of life.. And there are many people in this world who live day to day without power.. And they get by.. And in all truth..
If something like this happened... They would be alot better off than those of us who lived, and raised with power and nothing else!!

Its like they wouldn't miss a beat.. It would just be another day on this beautiful Earth... But to many.. It would be a new challenge, and something that would bring out the truths to our very inner selfs..

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
As promised.. Some links and sources to why I would create a thread....
I do not promote Fear, or trying to scare people into what I feel..
However I do feel concerned. Thus do not confuse concern with fear..

Electrical grids & anticipated solar flares of 2012

Mainstream scientific concern about 2012 has grown since a recent National Research Council report funded by NASA and issued by the National Academy of Sciences, entitled “Severe Space Weather Events: Understanding Economic and Societal Impact” which details the potential devastation of 2012 solar storms on the current planetary energy grid and because of the inter-linkages of a cybernetic society, on our entire human civilization.

Source[/url ]

Powerful Solar Storm Could Shut Down U.S. for Months

Damage to power grids and other communications systems could be catastrophic, the scientists conclude, with effects leading to a potential loss of governmental control of the situation.

The prediction is based in part on a major solar storm in 1859 that caused telegraph wires to short out in the United States and Europe, igniting widespread fires.

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478024,00.html]Source

Now some counter sources.. To even this out a little bit..
2012: No Killer Solar Flare

We could be in for a huge firework display in 2012. The Sun will be approaching the peak of its 11-year cycle, called "solar maximum", so we can expect a lot of solar activity. Some predictions put the solar maximum of Solar Cycle 24 even more energetic than the last solar maximum in 2002-2003 (remember all those record breaking X-class flares?). Solar physicists are already getting excited about this next cycle and new prediction methods are being put to good use. But should we be worried?

Check out this page for tons of information, that is based in science...
A Helpful Page about solar Flares....

NASA Warns Of Super Solar Storm in 2012
That page has some good videos and other types of information concerning this topic.

Well that about covers my end of providing some more links and source information for those of you who have not done the research..
That will give you one leg up to come to your own conclusion about this topic.

I would rather everyone to have at the very least seen this stuff with their own eyes.. Just in case something would happen, you would have a better idea of what is going on than the person who knew nothing of this topic.

Yet its a very fine line.. Between being informed.. and using fear to promote your own agendas..

At the very least.. it would affect many satellites.. But satellites wouldn't end the way of life we live.. It would just be a monkey wrench in our daily affairs.

Personally I'm not an "end of the world" type person. I do not believe for a minute the whole world is coming to an
end. Of course I base that view on my perspective of life and the meaning of it. As the year 2012 looms closer, I will
be prepared for the simple reason I understand astronomy enough to know we will be in danger of having to fend for
ourselves for a period of time. Solar Flares, the Sun's 11 year solar cycle and the galactic alignment of the Sun to the
Milky way are all quantifiable science. Its been at least 21,000 years since this specific alignment has occurred. Thats
a fact. Previous recorded solar flares have knocked out satellites before. We know that in 2012 we will have solar
flares more extreme than we have ever recorded. Its just common sense to hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

Final Source

And there you have it folks... As promised.. the links and sources!
This way.. we are not going from my word alone..

Zysin5

top topics

<< 1   >>

join