It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Cross: Plans to bring 45000 Haiti refugees to Florida

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Stay where in Haiti? The capital is in ruins. The government and social order has collapsed.

As for ignorant, illiterate, and diseased, have you looked around the United States lately? We are not shining paragons of education and health in the slighest.

People need to understand that we, the United States, are going to rebuild Haiti. Haiti isn't self sufficient. It cannot be left independent.

America is a nation of foreigners. We are a nation of charity and liberty. America has always been a refuge for people in need. We have always been a sanctuary to the suffering peoples of the world. This time is no different. We have suffered far worse economic problems in the past and Liberty still held the doors wide open for those who needed refuge. It is simply unamerican to suggest we close those doors, especially to a people whose nation and society has collapsed.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
isnt florida a bankrupt state?

Supose the government handouts would come in handy to pull florida from the brink then?thats if the survivors are sent there?

[edit on 16-1-2010 by enca78]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Thank you, I agree with you. I'm sorry but I have empathy towards people of our human race no matter how much it costs. I understand why everyone would want to argue when the government hands private companies $700 billion tax dollars but if it's something that determines the stability of people who have already literally lost everything, I don't think there should be an option. Much love, ohsnap!truth

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightonefive
can't see how haiti will become part of the US when technically it's still under french rule is it not?

Haiti gained independence in 1804. France finally recognized this in 1825. Their independence day was earlier this month on Jan 1.

The US recognized Haitian independence in 1862.

[edit on 16/1/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Yes you are right, some evacuation will happen, I know that, my husband have a co-worker that his father and mother have property in Haiti a nice home in the more affluent site of the nation by the beach, they were in the US and ready to go home when this happen.

Their house is still standing.

The co-worker told my husband that Haiti has not place to build tent cities and neither where to relocate 3 million people from the city.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Please do not let some comments make you mad, it will take you nowhere, sometimes ignorance comes as ignorants goes.

Is best to just let go and keep posting like nothing happen.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth
These are people. Men, women, children. I don't care if I have to sacrifice what little money I earn, these are people. As a human being, it's my right to help them.

[edit on 1/16/10 by ohsnaptruth]

Then send them your hard earned dollars via donation. don't expect me to foot the bill. It's every bit your right to help them, as it's mine not to. I'm not some cold hearted bastard that wants them to suffer, but I sure wish our government took as good of care of it's own people as it does with foreign countries.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Why hasn't this country rebuilt New Orleans?

Why are we sending so much money to Haiti when one of our famous cities id still destroyed by Hurricane Katrina?

Why has our government turned their backs on the Americans that live in or lived in new Orleans?

Why did OUR people in New Orleans have to suffer unbearable suffering for so long before anyone came to help THEM?

THE IRONEY OF IT ALL MAKES ME SICK.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

You know, I wouldn't be so outraged at this if our government hadn't already tossed away tons of cash on the banker bailouts, but here lately I'm appalled at the freakish government spending. So, technically it's not THIS incident that has me so po'd, it's everything this administration has done in the last year.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Exactly...if the money is there for handouts, why hasn't the government done more to help it's OWN people. I mean if they have 100 billion just laying around.

I was living in florida during hurricane charley, right at ground zero. The last time I visited there were still PLENTY of homes/business still in ruins.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

I went to visit New Orleans last year in May for a wedding, yes the city has lost most of the business because busisness owners didn't want to spend money rebuilding, but we stay in Bourbon street where the action is and it was business as usual.

Also the government did evacuated many of the citizens of New Orleans to various states including here in my neck of woods in GA, they were given housing from the military base that cut the personnel, the houses are better that what they ever had in New Orleans and many are still here, they get governemnt assistance as our city is over 100% unempoyed right now since the economic crisis.

New Orleans is up and running but as usual all the old buildings that got damage need to be rebuild.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

You sacrifice for them?
If you were as willing to sacrifice for Americans, we would be better off.

Why exactly are people so willing to sacrifice for foreigners.
We have poor and homeless Americans. This money that is going foreigners could be better spent at home.

Americans first!

I'd like to know how many of these 45,000 they plan on putting in Fort Lauderdale. If they put 20,000 of them there I could maybe warm up to thie idea. Oh, the 25,000 can go to Daytona.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I think once we have a Haitian Marshall Plan in the works, many Haitians will want to return home. Some will want to stay and I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to contribute to America.

I can't really compare this issue to illegal immigrants from Mexico, at least not yet. Mexico itself is on the edge of a cliff, which is a whole other topic. Haiti on the other hand has had an apocalyptic catastrophe and collapsed as a country. We are their only hope.

When Ireland almost collapsed and over a million of their people died from famine in the 1840s, the US took in around 1 million refugees. That is the America I know and love. It was at that time some of my ancestors came to this great nation.

I know it won't be easy to do this, but it is who we are as a nation and people. Sure we will have to make sacrifices but we will blessed more for our sacrifice.

Our diversity gives us a strength that very few nations have. It is the core of who we are and the foundation of our great country. It makes me proud to be an American.

I think this quote from the poem at the Statue of Liberty says it all:

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me

[edit on 16/1/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by OhZone

Stay where in Haiti? The capital is in ruins. The government and social order has collapsed.

As for ignorant, illiterate, and diseased, have you looked around the United States lately? We are not shining paragons of education and health in the slighest.

People need to understand that we, the United States, are going to rebuild Haiti. Haiti isn't self sufficient. It cannot be left independent.

America is a nation of foreigners. We are a nation of charity and liberty. America has always been a refuge for people in need. We have always been a sanctuary to the suffering peoples of the world. This time is no different. We have suffered far worse economic problems in the past and Liberty still held the doors wide open for those who needed refuge. It is simply unamerican to suggest we close those doors, especially to a people whose nation and society has collapsed.

You got the wrong idea of America always being a refuge for people in need. You have been misled. Public school education is made up of some heinous lies. That only came about after WWII when the plan to Take Down America began. We are now so diluted and polluted that we are scarcly a shadow of what we once were.

The foreigners who came here before that were the able bodied folks who built this country. We haad a concern to keep our country healthy. We tried to keep disease out by examining the immigrants and not letting the obviously sick ones in. This was a good idea. Why import disease?

We are not a paragon of health, your right. And that is all the more reason why we should not be bringing any of these people here. It seems that being a sick foreigner gives you the right to come here and share it with everyone.

After we rebuild Haiti, will we rebuild America?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I know, Mexico is actually a very rich nation, they are the second biggest seller of oil to the US after Canada, Saudi Arabia comes third believe it or not.

But as with any nation with corrupted government the reason we see so much immigration is because the government is robbing the nation.

But when you see how people live in the big cities in Mexico you know that they are very prosperous and their cities are very modern.

It is actually sad because is not reason for Mexicans to come to the US due to our own government supporting their corrupted government.

Many in the US does know that the reason the wealth of Haiti was robbed was due to our government in the past supporting bad dictators living the live of kinds in the island, no always Haiti has been the poor nation that is today.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

It cannot be left independent.

Which is exactly why it should become an overseas department of France like French Guiana, French Polynesia, Reunion, Martinique, Guadalupe, New Caledonia, St Martin, etc

en.wikipedia.org...

We already have enough problems with our existing overseas territories and we don't need to add Haiti into the mix. Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the US Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands are more then enough thank you.

[edit on 16-1-2010 by ChrisF231]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Peeps plz show soe compassion, these are people in real need.... Htey have less thna nothing at the moment. I little sacrafice goes a long way.. x

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Lies?

So those escaping religious persecution before the Revolution? Lies?

Over a million Irish escaping famine? Lies?

Millions of Italians in the Italian diaspora starting in the 1860s?

Thats only a small sample.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I think your right. Haiti will be a part of US. We have to help them rebuild.

What people should remember is that if we do it right, many Haitians will stay in Haiti.

They need jobs, a stable government, and concrete plans for future growth.

I believe the US should help our neighbors achieve those goals.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

They need jobs, a stable government, and concrete plans for future growth.

So do the citizens of the US

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join