It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marketing Doritos and increasing violence at the same time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Just saw this awful commercial that's allegedly gonna be shown during the Superbowl. I was appalled - how can people be so ignorant to not recognize the things we let into our minds affect us! Violence hidden behind humor... sad.

Don't even get me started on first-person shooter video games.. one of the most influential horrible things in our society in my opinion.

[edit on 16-1-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Well, I'll admit that the commercial did have a slap in it. Kind of funny, but also pushing a type of reality that a lot of people fall for.

As for FPS games, I play them all the time and all i get is random urges to shoot zombies or if WW3 came by, i wouldn't mind participating....hmmm... You know, FPS games may have more influence on me than i previously believed. Damn illuminati.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
We can all critically analyze TV commercials.

Most people don't, because they are not worth it and do not apply to every day life. Most people have other things to do.

If you are sitting around and doing it, you have too much free time on your hands and head.

The average person ONLY sees the humor, laughs, and forgets about it. There are no subliminal messages from the government or aliens.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I play FPS games all the time. You'll be thankful when the zombies are invading.

edit to add: I could really go for some Doritos now.

[edit on 16-1-2010 by purplemonkeydishwasher]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Haha, well so long as children dont see it and get the idea slapping is right, I dont see the wrong...

As for FPS the point isnt that they will influence you, just that they desensitise you. You get rewarded for violence, and it seems fun. And you always kill generic enemies, no feeling for them, yet when one of yours dies its suddenly a real human being.

Its always Russian/German/Middle Eastern/South American generic AK wielding henchman #42, so killing these subhumans isnt a crime. There was one game that came out (Siphon FIlter something) where you even kill Canadians!!!!

Also the misinformation side. I have modern warfare 2. So many inaccuracies. You would never 'dual wield' in combat, let alone 2 UMPs, they are heavy!! ANd riot shields are made of plastic they dont stop bullets, and BALLISTIC shields are black, and even they could never stop a .50 BMG.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Your joking right? God I hope your joking. The only thing I could see any one being remotely offended by here is the exploitation of a cute little black boy. If your not going to eat Doritos do it because there is MSG in it, not because they make poor attempts at humor.

[edit on 16-1-2010 by mosesgunner]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
i thought that was great, that little kid was so cute, and the suitors face was priceless.

hardly a violent commercial in my opinion . . .

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
It's not exactly teaching good manners. I think we have enough greed and violence in the world as it is. Many families watch the Superbowl, that would include kids. The outcry over Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction is evident that kids with their parents watch it together.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperFoxBat
It's not exactly teaching good manners. I think we have enough greed and violence in the world as it is. Many families watch the Superbowl, that would include kids. The outcry over Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction is evident that kids with their parents watch it together.

I have seen worst things on child networks. No ones going to commercials to learn manners. Censoring breast are a little different then a kid smacking some punk ahole who's staring down his mom and eating his food. His real daddy probably works hard to pay the child support that bought those Doritos.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I think the OP is wrong 100%.

No one makes you do anything.

You make the choice yourself what you do to others.

No excuse is acceptable, if you hurt someone YOU ARE guilty!!!

No one else.

It is called CHOICE, and FREE WILL.

I could easily say that these commercials make people fascist thinking, causing them to attempt to stifle others free speech simply for their own perverse pleasure.

And then dragging video games into it.

This thread has no credibility.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
that was hilarious i hope it makes it into the commercials broadcasting during the game.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Great ad!

(Make note to steal the link, and post it elsewhere at ATS, claiming it is child abuse to give the child a bowl of processed snacks. Should have been carrots and celery sticks. Also, steal the OP's line, but spin it "Oh, the things we allow into our bodies..." Many stars and flags. Profit.)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ViperFoxBat

It's all about the PARENTS!! I can't stand seeing people crying about things like this when it is all on the parents to tell the child that slapping is not polite. Like someone else said, censoring a breast is way different than censoring something like this commercial. If you look hard enough, you can find offense/bad manors in anything, but that doesn't mean we have to censor it all.

I'm so sick of this "Save this children! But think of the CHILDREN!" stuff. We don't give children enough credit.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I think the OP is wrong 100%.

No one makes you do anything.

You make the choice yourself what you do to others.

Have you seen Darren Brown's "Heist" special? He took a group of 13 professionals without criminal records, and conditioned them without their knowledge and later set them up with a prime opportunity to apparently rob a security van with suitcases of money. He choose the 4 people he felt had the best odds of actually attempting a robbery, and 3 of the 4 actually attempted it, thinking they were actually robbing an armored vehicle.

I don't think 75% of professionals without criminal records would suddenly decide to rob an armored vehicle under normal circumstances.

We may have the opportunity to exert control over the final outcome of events, but we are still extremely susceptible to conditioning.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I don't think 75% of professionals without criminal records would suddenly decide to rob an armored vehicle under normal circumstances.

75% didn't. 3 of the 13 went for it. That's not quite 25%. And you don't know how the 13 were selected (apart from the no criminal record condition, assuming that is so).

Derren Brown is a stage magician. Among the many factors that drive stage magic is to know ordinary things which your audience doesn't know.

If you could persuade a bunch of "professionals" that they could get away with robbing an armored car, then odds are good that many of them would do it. Really, is the financial crisis of 2008 so long ago that you have already forgotten what professionals will do, when they think they can get away with it?

Brown's "conditoning" stuff is patter, to create the illusion that he has something to do with the outcome. That is, to present himself as causing something, rather than simply demonstrating what would happen anyway. The skill would be mostly be in selecting the right 4 from the original 13, and perhaps being shrewd about the 13, too. As it was, Brown got one of his picks wrong.

Bottom line: about 20-25% of selected professionals are potential crooks? Wow, there's a surprise. Derren Brown must possess godlike powerz to (almost) pick out which ones after talking with them.

I like Brown, but I like him because he's a gifted entertainer, not an educator. He will mouth mumbo-jumbo with a scientific aroma when it helps his illusion. What he says should not be confused with reliable information, no more than any other stage magician's "explanation" of where the rabbit came from.

If somebody gave you the budget he had to stage the trick, how much worse do you suppose you would do? Got powerz?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

All FPS games have ever made me want to do is build an underwater city or deep space station wherein i could usher a new era of mankind. I can't say i have ever had the actual urge to kill people. Also they have made me want to do parkour.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits

75% didn't. 3 of the 13 went for it. That's not quite 25%. And you don't know how the 13 were selected (apart from the no criminal record condition, assuming that is so).

So basically you are arguing there is no such thing as conditioning?

Brown's "conditoning" stuff is patter, to create the illusion that he has something to do with the outcome. That is, to present himself as causing something, rather than simply demonstrating what would happen anyway. The skill would be mostly be in selecting the right 4 from the original 13, and perhaps being shrewd about the 13, too. As it was, Brown got one of his picks wrong.

He specifically picked people without criminal histories, that were professionals in various fields. You can look up the whole thing on YouTube.

Bottom line: about 20-25% of selected professionals are potential crooks? Wow, there's a surprise.

Not just any crook, but a professional who is already well-employed who would pull a gun on armored car to steal a suitcase of money in the middle of a street. If you have questions about these details just watch the clips yourself, YouTube "Darren Brown Heist." If you find it divided into 5 segments, the end of 4 and the whole of 5 are about the results.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Could it be possible that the video itself was staged and was created to purposely lead you to conclude that darren brown had actually conditioned people? Thus making brown prove his point that normal rational people can be conditioned in such manner. ( personally i believe conditioning exists, but that it is very hard to pull on people who actually know it exists)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

So basically you are arguing there is no such thing as conditioning?

No. I am saying that you recounted a stage-magic trick which you saw performed. What Derren Brown said was happening while he performed the trick bears no reliable relationship to what was actually happening. That is a bona fide aspect of his job.

He specifically picked people without criminal histories, that were professionals in various fields. You can look up the whole thing on YouTube.

So he said. So what?

..pull a gun on armored car to steal a suitcase of money in the middle of a street.

Yes, that's pretty much what I think of as an armored car robbery. Maybe canvas bags or shrink-wrapped blocks instead of suitcases, but that may be a British thing.

And your evidence that three professionals would not do this is that three professionals thought they volunteered to do it.

But only because a stage magician "conditioned" them to do it. And we know that the stage magician really did condition them, because, after all, he said he did. In a YouTube video.

No, I can't think of any questions. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
We can all critically analyze TV commercials.

Most people don't, because they are not worth it and do not apply to every day life. Most people have other things to do.

If you are sitting around and doing it, you have too much free time on your hands and head.

The average person ONLY sees the humor, laughs, and forgets about it. There are no subliminal messages from the government or aliens.

Do you always discredit people with "facts" that don't pertain to the situation?

Seeing one person slap another person is not subliminal - it is blatant, and it is wrong. You don't need to sit around spending time critically analyzing things to see your values being trodden on.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by Thermo Klein]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join