It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the animals of Haiti, none to be seen in the streets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Something I found strange, during katrina one of the things that call the attention of people beside the rescuing of human beings where the animals that were also rescued, even in Indonesia you could see pets and farm animals.

But in Haiti, on all the news media and the pictures I have not seen a single dog, cat, farm animal . . . no even a Chicken and trust me I am from the Caribbean and chickens and pigs are something you find everywhere.

Where are the animals of Haiti?

Just wondering, anybody has spot any on the media?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Unfortunately my guess is that they have become food.

It is heartbreaking to know we can't help those people fast enough.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

The thing is that even from the beginning I didn't spot any, oh, well I am making a big thing out of nothing, but to tell you the truth chickens and pigs along with cows are something to see everywhere in poor countries.

That helps with feeding that is why I wonder about people around with none.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
They probably became food long before the quake just like the trees became ash.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

That can be one reason, but remember I am from PR cows are not just for food but milk, pigs are for food, Chickens for eggs and it goes around.

In Haiti access to modern FDA approved food is a luxury so people does tend to have their own littler pens with plenty of chickens.

Unless they are using the Urban laws they have in the US concerning to animals.

But still . . . I wonder.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Well according to Cuban friends of mine who travel back to Cuba to visit relatives still living there on occassion that most people who have Donkeys, pigs or chickens actually bring them in the hosue with them at night to keep them from being stolen and killed.

Here in Miami since the economy got bad a lot of the farmers in the extreme western part of Miami-Dade have had their horses tied up to trees at night and butchered on the spot.

Miami-Dade police finally just found two of the illegal underground horse meat markets that have been operating for months now by killing other people's horses.

My best guess is people wealthy enough or lucky enough to have had animals kept them in doors too. Many were probably killed in the quake.

Prior to the quake things like cats, and dogs in Haiti end up as religious sacrifices in Voodoo and Santaria.

Not even really for food.

What animals did exist that weren't killed in the quake probably have been killed since for food.

Or sacrificed for religious purposes.

That's just my opinion but I think it's a fairly well supported opinion.

[edit on 15/1/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Yes I know bout the rituals of Santeria and voodoo, they are practiced in PR also.

But they don't kill all the chickens

You are right perhaps many perished during the earthquake and the rest just end up on somebody's pit made pot for stew, those seems to be sprouting all over.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well one thing is for certain it's a thread well worth the star and flag I gave it.

In the alternative reality I was raised in we grew up believing our pets and animals are people too. Really nice people who never argue, or ask for money, and don't mind eating from bowls laid out on the floor, left overs even.

It was really nice of you to think of our four legged friends marg6043!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Yes i agree. But everyone is outdoors...I dont know how big Haitians are at having pets...I know in Cuba you were hard pressed to see a cat. And NO we didnt eat them

I was just thinking, maybe they headed North and havent come back. Smart.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Well you know I am from the Caribbean and found the lack of pets and farm animals odd, beside I remember the news from Katrina and it was plenty of coverage on animal rescues.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Early 80's when the Haitians showed in large numbers in South Florida the animals started disappearing from peoples yards at it was found that when they came they saw they ate. It was normal for them to do it back then im sure they still do. My grand parents had the bad luck of living by a bus station back then.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

You know me In PR even my father that is from the old school manage to raise chickens and rabbits in the backyard.

Most of the neighbors have chickens and pigs.

People still have horses and you can seen them ridding them on the streets for a stroll.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Yes i agree. But everyone is outdoors...I dont know how big Haitians are at having pets...I know in Cuba you were hard pressed to see a cat. And NO we didnt eat them

I was just thinking, maybe they headed North and havent come back. Smart.

Well I am not real sure either but...I work at home, and a number of my clients are Haitians, and while I don't have a pet, up until recently I had a next door neighbor who had a little Datschund who liked me more than her and would spend a lot of time at my house.

I would always have to send her home when my Haitian clients came by as they were all deathly afraid of her, even though she was just a toy Datschund, I used to think wow if you are afraid of this little dog, wait to you meet her owner!

But it occured to me in all seriousness that some people are very supersititous and actually believe dogs and cats are mediums for demons and the Devil and fear them for that reason.

I know it's hard to imagine but a lot of people actually do believe those things, my estranged wife who is Mexican wouldn't even burn a candle in the house because she feared it would attract malignant stray spirits.

Different strokes for different folks!

[edit on 15/1/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Margie, my best friend was my pet pig. On the balcony of a highrise downtown Havana. Seriously. Little did i know he would be Christmas dinner.

BTW, he was a very clean animal and i babied him.

.....and yes, i tasted him because i didnt know it was him.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

That is interesting, I grew up with the religious mix we have in the islands you know Santeria and spiritism, and yes you are right, some people believe that demons and spirits can enter the bodies of animals but for some reason I grew out of all that.

Sad to say that my now very fundamentalism parent believe the crap that comes our of the mouth of Pat Roberson about Haiti and their evil ways.

I happen to have a talk with my sister today and she just told me that.

Sad.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

That is something I stop doing very young when I realized that the littler chicks were to grew up to become dinner.

When I was a child I raised pigeons, (before the bird flu scare and crap) one time two of the littler babies were missing, my mother said that a cat took them but I know they were in the soup we had that day.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
What an astute observation. I never thought about it, but now I realize I haven't seen any animals in any of the footage. I will be more attentive when I switch it back on.

Let me just say the obvious and get it over with:

They are squashed.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Margie, my best friend was my pet pig. On the balcony of a highrise downtown Havana. Seriously. Little did i know he would be Christmas dinner.

BTW, he was a very clean animal and i babied him.

.....and yes, i tasted him because i didnt know it was him.

They have a new Cuban Restaurant Chain here in Miami that is real popular called Palacio De La Jugos. Really fresh food and juices Cuban style and mobbed all the time.

Every few hours they bring out a whole pig cooked whole laid out in the pan. It goes in about 25 minutes head and all. When the literally just tug on the head and it just seperates from the body to place on a plate...well all I can say is I prefer my food to be not quite so recognizable!

Nothing quite as tasty as a Christmas Cuban Pork Roast marinated in Mojo Criollo for a couple of days before slow cooked!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
There has got to be plenty of chickens running around!

I know chickens (unless they're grey) dont bring bad luck.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

OMG! You havent lived till you tasted that crunchy skin with mojo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join