It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help? Junior Research Paper ideas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Hey ATS. First off, I have not been active a whole lot lately on here. I check post occasionally, but not as much as I used to. I don't know why. It could be that things have just been super busy lately. 

Anyways, I'm not here to talk about my life being busy, I am here to ask you all for help on something very important I am working on. In school, we are getting ready to start our Junior Research Papers. Now, for those of you who don't know, the Junior Research Paper is based around three learning goals and a question (or topic) of your choice that cannot specifically be answered. So, there can't be a yes or a no answer to this question/topic. It has to be something that you as an individual can choose to answer in your own way (audiance or target readers decision). 

Now, you may be thinking, "Well why do you need help with this?". And to answer that, I am having a super hard time trying to find a topic to choose. To fill you all in on what I am thinking about (more like, thoughts or questions that are lingering in my head): What is our purpose (as the Human Race)? Why can't we live in harmony as one representing Earth (instead of killing each other when we are all apart of one race)? Where are we headed (in terms of what lies ahead of our future)? And something that completly shocks me still to this date: our technology. How over 100 years ago, we never had things like computers and cell phones.

Those are just a few of the ideas that I have been speculating with. However, the reason why I posted this in the Psychology forum is because I have such a huge intrest in psychology. Psycholgy is something that completly fasinates me. I love everything having to do with it. I have been taking Psychology for over a year now, so, I know a lot about the fundamentals and basics of Psychology when it comes to disorders, perspectives, neuroanatomy, ect.

But, here's the catch, I want to apply psychology to my Junior Research Paper. Possibly including some of the topics I have been thinking about. But I just can't find a way to tie it into academics. In psychology, you can speculate all you want, but when it comes down to applying it to one topic, I have a hard time.

So, what I am hoping by posting this, is if some of my ATS family here can help my come up with some good topics that tie into psychology. Keep in mind that they have to follow the rules I listed in the second paragraph. I am open up to as many ideas as people can throw at me. So please, help?

Ps. Mods, bump this to wherever you feel it be apropriate.  

[edit on 15-1-2010 by shadowgears911]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Mental disorders untreated in the populace is the basis of widespread brutality in cultures.

Cultural concepts found in some societies, such as wife immolation, become accepted due to the inability of people to understand of control those with mental disorders so those behaviours instead become accepted.

Due to the inheritance of suspectibility of to mental disorders, and that ethnicities often can be traced to a much smaller originating population, some of the cultural concepts found in those groups hold their original basis in mental dysfunciton that was common and therefore considered normal in that group.

You might get torn apart by people for these ones though.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Haha. Nice! Some good ideas. I'll keep them in mind.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by shadowgears911]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

... the Junior Research Paper is based around three learning goals and a question (or topic) of your choice that cannot specifically be answered....

I want to apply psychology to my Junior Research Paper. Possibly including some of the topics I have been thinking about. But I just can't find a way to tie it into academics. In psychology, you can speculate all you want, but when it comes down to applying it to one topic, I have a hard time.

Was Carl Jung mentally ill when he wrote Liber Novus, also known as "The Red Book"?

The Red Book has just been published, late last year. It is sensational, truly stunning. The proposed topic is timely, and also solidly mainstream academic psychology. Your advisor will eat it up.

Nobody knows the answer. Guarantee that you'll have a good time researching it.

Good luck with it.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Well, I'm a long way from having to craft research papers for school, but here's a topic I've been kicking around for a while:

" What is up with mankind's prediliction for subserviencve?"

Why is it that although we, at least individually, give sincere lip service to independence, we, as a culture, are so eager to submit to the will of "higher powers"?

Religions, especially Western religions, are rift with this compulsion.

Children are compelled to "honor" (ie.: obey unquestioningly) their parents. Wives are urged to "submit" to the authority of their husbands. Believers are told that they must obey their chosen "Gods".

Ad Infinitum.

Even here in the US, some of the most "Patriotic" individuals, folks who would sooner slit their throats than submit to the sovreignty of some "Furrin Power" (ie.: the U.N.), are, pardoxically, also likely to self-identify as faithful to "Our Lord Jesus Christ".

How dysfunctional is that?

OK, so go. Discuss.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Awesome! Thank you eight bits!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

Its funny that you brought up Carl Jung because today in 3rd period Psychology, we were talking about him. My instructor told me to pay close attention because in today's lesson because he believed that I would take a strong interest in Carl Jung. Overall, great lesson (about personalities and a little in depth about Sigmund Freud and the unconscious mind). I will definitely do some more research on the book. It sounds like something worth reading!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I don't know if this topic is too broad, but since you like things related to psychology, how about talking about how people always searching for their counterpart, that certain person who fits you perfectly like the yin yang symbol. Here are some link to spur some inspiration:

star.goddess.tripod.com...

www.nderf.org...

Or maybe you can talk about the origins of humans and why they act like they do? By connecting humans to their ancestors who are not native to earth. maybe this is too far out for something for school. Maybe they won't take you seriously but i find this topic to be very interesting so i wanted to share this with you.

summary of the "Terra Papers" by RObert Morningsky
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

new topics

top topics

join