It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church of England Bankrupt ?Why Should the Tax Payer Be Robbed to Bail Them Out ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
State funding of Church buildings only if Church cedes control of assets

The National Secular Society has responded to the Archbishop of Canterbury’s call for state funding for church buildings.

Keith Porteous Wood, the Society’s Executive Director said “The public already pay tens of millions of pounds each year towards church upkeep through the lottery and heritage bodies and tax concessions. The further sums the Archbishop is seeking from the public funds are just a fraction of what will be expected in the longer term as Anglican church attendance plummets. Christian Research expects this to drop continuously and fall to below 100,000 on a normal Sunday in forty years’ time.

“The Church saying ‘we can’t pay’ is tantamount to a declaration of bankruptcy which in the case of an individual or commercial organizations would trigger the organizations loss of control of its assets and them coming under independent control for the benefit of creditors - in this case taxpayers.

“Over the next forty years three quarters of the Church of England’s churches - 14,000 of them - will become redundant for want of sufficient congregants. Many are not grade one buildings and will be worth billions of pounds. The proceeds of the sale of these redundant churches should be used to defray the expenses of upkeep of listed buildings before the hard-pressed taxpayer is asked for hand outs.

“The Church says it needs its vast wealth to spend on wages and pensions, but the state pensions are about to go into meltdown, and this does not seem to concern the Archbishop.

“Redundant listed churches should be used imaginatively, such as in the Netherlands, where they become libraries and museums, for example.”

“It is true church buildings in France are financed from public funds, but they are publicly owned and often local people object to paying to maintain for a building that is hardly used. Sometimes communities refuse to pay for the upkeep of dilapidated churches and they are bulldozed.”

www.secularism.org.uk...

Added 'ex' tags and link

[edit on 15/1/10 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Take your pick

Send 30 billion dollars to Israhell

or bail out CofE

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Typical Anglican robbing scum.

In many ways, the Anglican church is starting to become worse than the Catholic church for their lies, deceit and general unpleasantness. Still, both are relics of a bygone age that are fast falling apart. Good riddance.

They will fail, and fail hard. I cant wait.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
England Churches falling down, falling down...

Whether it be through school, work, or family, people really are calling the BS flag with religion all over the place.

In a world filled with lies, honesty is the best policy.
In a world filled with honesty, lies are the best policy.

We are in a world filled with lies. People need some truth for a bit.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
People dont need a church to pray in, faith is personal. I hate this new idea that the tax payers should bail out every organization or institution. Millions of people are hurting to why should they be expected to pick up a dispraportionate amount of the slack.

This world drives me mad.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

I'm not sure how this will pan out but if the good Christians wish to bail-out their own churches ... so be it.

THERE IS NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH THAT NON-CHRISTIANS SHOULD BE FORCED TO HELP THEM OUT UNLESS THEY CHOOSE TO !!!

Surely there is no fair law that would/could make that compulsory.

Apologies if I've misunderstood the OP and I'm going off the deep end needlessly ... but I don't see how people can be forced to support a church they do not personally believe in.

Woody

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
The Archbishop of Canterbury wants Britain to accept Islam and Sharia law.

Dr Williams argued, in a speech at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, for a “plural jurisdiction” that would allow Muslims to choose whether some legal disputes were resolved in secular or Sharia courts. He called for “constructive accommodation” over such issues as resolving marriage disputes.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Based on this, I would give them nothing as they are directly promoting jihad in your country. It is not a good sign when the defenders of the faith fall on the sword of Islam.

la2

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Its the national church, if the tax payer can bail out Hbos, Lloyds tsb and RBS, then why not the national church.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Apologies if I've misunderstood the OP and I'm going off the deep end needlessly ... but I don't see how people can be forced to support a church they do not personally believe in.

Where possible it's done without the tax payer knowing, here's an example = (take into consideration their morals and ethics that xtians constantly rave about but here we have them thieving from the public purse to support their own delusional agenda)

Press Release 7 April 2009
Churches and religious organizations should fund their own presence in hospitals, says the National Secular Society (NSS), after it discovered that chaplaincy services are costing the National Health Service more than £32million. This would pay for around another 1,300 nurses or over 2,500 cleaning staff. Both are much-needed.

Using the Freedom of Information Act, the NSS undertook its own research into the cost of chaplaincy services after the Government said it did not keep centralized figures on such spending.

“The headline figure only takes into account the salaries of the chaplains, it doesn’t take account of National Insurance contributions, pension payments, administration costs, office accommodation, training, the upkeep of chapels and prayer rooms,” said Terry Sanderson, president of the NSS. “We can conservatively add another 20% to the headline figure taking it up to £40 million.”

The next time your in hospital and fancy a BigMac send the chaplain out to get it because your paying for him to be there whether you like it or not.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by la2
Its the national church, if the tax payer can bail out Hbos, Lloyds tsb and RBS, then why not the national church.

Not my church matey boy, we are talking about a group of influential people that force themselves upon others by influencing government.

At least with the banks one runs the risk of getting a return on the money !

By the way people in wales get hit twice as they also have to support the various quangos within the church of wales as well as the Anglican church.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

The Archbishop of Canterbury wants Britain to accept Islam and Sharia law.

And every time this clown stands up to speak his nonsense the taxpayer foots the bill.

Time they were all be rid of.

Sharia law Lol Brussles is now making the laws for the UK and if they follow the Swiss Islam will have no room to move.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

WOW, I feel like I've been walking around with my eyes closed.

I don't get easily angry ... but this has really made me see red. Not because I'm anti-Christian ...each to their own and all that ... but it would never be considered under any circumstances for those of other belief systems ... so why should they be any different.

The people on this planet really need to get their heads from their a@*e (me included), and stand-up for themselves ... because this is just wrong on so many levels.

Woody

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
No public funds should go to a church unless it had historic value. The church would mainly a museum devoted to teaching old history during the building's existance.

There's just too many Christian denominations in the world. They are all competing for members. Most Christians have fallen out because faith is losing its appeal, people are too busy to go to Church and no body likes to be told what to do. I'm not sure what's keeig the Muslims devoted. I think it is fear and their Shari courts.

The Christians used to have fear in God but that was lost fast in the last 50 years. It will happen to the Muslims in time. Some of the Muslim transplants in America are gradually dropping their old routine with the fast pace life.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I don't get easily angry ... but this has really made me see red. Not because I'm anti-Christian ...each to their own and all that ... but it would never be considered under any circumstances for those of other belief systems ... so why should they be any different.

Totally agree, what pisses me right off is that a big chunk of theses people leaching off the public don't actually believe what the bibles have to say and more or less make it up as they go along and wag their freaking pious fingers at the rest of us who're just trying to get by.

The icing on the cake and slap in the face is that the queen is the head of this gang of thieves and when pops her clogs Charles will be Don.

One of the wealthiest people on the planet who still gets funded by the tax payer to support her family and hangers on, is the boss of the religious mafia that have fleeced the country for centuries for cash and properties.

Bah ! And they got to cheek to condemn anyone unemployed that scrapes by on a a state benefit !!!!!!!

Talk about conspiracy !!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Here's the reports on where the money is going

www.secularism.org.uk...

www.secularism.org.uk...

What rally grips my crap is that every time I buy a lottery ticket in the vain hope of winning a couple of quid, some deluded bastard in a frock gets the share of my stake to pay for his palace !!!!!

[edit on 15-1-2010 by moocowman]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Unbelievable !

I plan to keep a close eye on this. Woody

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I totally agree with you, if the Christians among us want a place to do their preaching and worshipping, then why the hell shouldn't they pay for it? As far as i am aware the meaning of church is a group of people whom have come together in the name of their god, that doesn't mean they have to do that in some expensive to run and upkeep building.

I for one will not pay for any religious needs, they believe it, they can pay for it, i mean could i set up a church of good sex and have that funded by the government? I don't think so, unless they already have one of those that we don't know about, and we fund it

[edit on 1,15,2010 by neo5842]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Since the vatican started Christianity and Islam get them to fork out the money. They are loaded with riches when we poor tax payers ain't!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo5842

I for one will not pay for any religious needs,

Oh yes you will if you happen to live in the UK.

So long as the first thing to exit the mouths of your co workers on monday morning is " Did you see (name of TV program here) " or "I drank (quantity of alcohol consumed here) you will be bound by irresponsible thinking of others and pay for whatever they refuse to think about.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

LOL, accepted, good point and a good job i neither watch TV nor Drink Alcoholic beverages, but i do see what you mean, i should have said, i wont willingly pay for any religious needs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join