It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey of Tornado Outbreak (Final WX Statement)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   

HWODMX - Des Moines, Iowa

NWUS53 KDMX 252046
LSRDMX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA
345 PM CDT TUE MAY 25 2004

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION...ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

1120 PM TSTM WND DMG 3 E GUTHRIE CENTER 41.68N 94.44W
05/22/2004 GUTHRIE IA EMERGENCY MNGR

HANGARS AT OLD AIRPORT DESTROYED.

&&

$$

JUNGBLUTH

HWOKSC - Kansas City, Kansas

The National Weather Service conducted ground damage surveys across portions of northern Missouri on Tuesday, May 25th, to assess the strength and number of tornadoes which struck on Monday evening. The results of these surveys indicate that a total of six tornadoes touched down across portions of Holt, Gentry, Livingston and Linn Counties, with the strongest rated F2 on the Fujita damage scale in Albany, Missouri.

The storms which tore across the region Monday evening were characterized with extremely strong and deep rotation, as well as tremendous amounts of rain, hail and lightning underneath the rotating part of the storm. Many eyewitnesses to these storms reported seeing a large rotating lowering of the cloud base several miles wide. These high-precipitation supercell thunderstorms often produce widespread and significant downburst wind damage, which makes it difficult at times to distinguish tornado damage from the more widespread wind damage. This appears to be the case with the thunderstorms the evening of May 24, 2004.

One supercell thunderstorm tracked from near Craig, Missouri in Holt County, east-northeast across southern Nodaway County into Gentry County. This storm produced its first tornado of the day along a track extending northeast from approximately 4 miles east of Craig on state route C, to just east of the intersection of state routes C and N. The damage path from this tornado was about 2 miles long and 300 yards wide, and produced damage to a barn and crops. The tornado was rated a F1 based primarily to the damage inflicted to the barn in that area. Based upon the damage survey and input from Nodaway County emergency management, the storm did not produce a tornado across southern Nodaway County.

As the storm moved into Gentry County, it once again produced tornadoes in the Albany area. Damage surveys indicate that three distinct tornadoes touched down near and in the city of Albany. The strongest tornado affected the northeast corner of Albany. The tornado track was located northwest to southeast, was a couple of miles long and about 200 to 250 yards wide, and inflicted major damage to a HyVee Grocery and a USDA facility. This tornado was rated an F2 on the Fujita damage scale. A second tornado affected areas west of Albany, from just east of the Highway 136 and 169 interchange, southeast toward the intersection of Highway 85 and Highway P. The damage indicated F1 intensity in this area. A third tornado, rated as an F0, occurred in the northeast part of Albany, where U.S. Highway 136 crosses the East Fork of Grand River, and was on the ground less than a mile. Damage surveys further east, conducted by National Weather Service and area emergency managers, do not indicate any further tornado tracks east into Harrison or Mercer Counties. However, widespread wind damage to trees and occasional buildings was noted along U.S. Highway 136 in these areas.

A second supercell thunderstorm tracked east from the Hamilton area, east to Macon along U.S. Highway 36. National Weather Service ground surveys found a widespread swath of wind damage along this storm track from just southeast of Chillicothe, east along U.S. Highway 36 to Macon. Many areas experienced straight-line wind damage from winds estimated to be near 100 m.p.h., or from F0 to occasionally F1 in magnitude. The survey team found it difficult to determine specific tornado tracks in this large swath of damage. However, two areas were found with tornadic damage signatures within the storm track. The first was located from just south of Chillicothe, where highway 65 crosses Shoal Creek, east-northeast to approximately 3 miles east of Chillicothe. Isolated areas of F1 magnitude tornado damage were observed, especially along CR255. A short-lived tornado touchdown of F1 intensity also occurred near Meadeville, along U.S. Highway 36 in southwest Linn County, Missouri. Additional damage was noted east toward the Bucklin area, east into Macon County that appeared to be more the result of a macroburst, or a large area of downburst straight line winds underneath the strong broad rotation of the parent storm. Additional research will be done in the coming days to match storm spotter reports with specific areas of damage near New Cambria, Callao and Macon to determine if any of these areas could have been produced by tornadoes.

HWOILX - Lincoln, Illinois

NZUS43 KILX 252029
WRKESA
ILZ027>031-036>038-040>057-061>063-066>068-071>073-252200-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
329 PM CDT TUE MAY 25 2004

...RESULTS OF STORM DAMAGE SURVEY IN SCOTT COUNTY FOR THE OVERNIGHT STORMS ON MAY 24 TO 25, 2004...

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SURVEY TEAM ASSESSED THE STORM DAMAGE ACROSS SCOTT COUNTY THAT OCCURRED ON MAY 24 TO 25, 2004. HERE ARE THE RESULTS...

A SMALL TORNADO WAS PRODUCED BY THE STORMS THAT MOVED OVER SCOTT COUNTY ON MAY 24 TO 25. THE TORNADO INITIALLY TOUCHED DOWN 6 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF WINCHESTER, WITH AN ESTIMATED INTENSITY RATED AS F0.

www.crh.noaa.gov...

NWSSPC

Total U.S. Tornado reports: 179 (26 + 85 + 13 + 55)
Total Damaging Hail Reports 882 (277 + 156 + 162 + 287)
Total Damaging Wind Reports: 591 (235 + 123 + 116 + 117)

www.hprcc.unl.edu...

---------------------

It's finally over, but left a load of devistation in it's path, yet another one to remember. This event managed to be more significant than the May 6 - 10 Severe weather event.

Now, everyone stop pestering me with weather info... it's been a 16 day event, I'm sick of the topic at this point.

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by Shugo]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Hey, Shugo! Thanks for the info...

Is there going to be updates until tornado/sever weather season is over? It would be good to know as I heard a new low just entering the west may provide even more sever weather next week

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'll be on it, just don't bring it up during my break from Hell Hole Part 1.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Hell Hole Part One???
I promise not to bring it up, if you tell me what it is.
And, who told you that you're getting a break

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It's dealing with the situation too much, and I SAID I get a break

new topics

top topics

join