It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama staffer wants ‘cognitive infiltration’ of 9/11 conspiracy groups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Not got much to add to this, but it seems kinda important.

rawstory.com...

In a 2008 academic paper, President Barack Obama's appointee to head the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs advocated "cognitive infiltration" of groups that advocate "conspiracy theories" like the ones surrounding 9/11.

Cass Sunstein, a Harvard law professor, co-wrote an academic article entitled "Conspiracy Theories: Causes and Cures," in which he argued that the government should stealthily infiltrate groups that pose alternative theories on historical events via "chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups and attempt to undermine" those groups.

As head of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Sunstein is in charge of "overseeing policies relating to privacy, information quality, and statistical programs," according to the White House Web site.

Sunstein's article, published in the Journal of Political Philosphy in 2008 and recently uncovered by blogger Marc Estrin, states that "our primary claim is that conspiracy theories typically stem not from irrationality or mental illness of any kind but from a 'crippled epistemology,' in the form of a sharply limited number of (relevant) informational sources."

By "crippled epistemology" Sunstein means that people who believe in conspiracy theories have a limited number of sources of information that they trust. Therefore, Sunstein argued in the article, it would not work to simply refute the conspiracy theories in public -- the very sources that conspiracy theorists believe would have to be infiltrated.

Sunstein, whose article focuses largely on the 9/11 conspiracy theories, suggests that the government "enlist nongovernmental officials in the effort to rebut the theories. It might ensure that credible independent experts offer the rebuttal, rather than government officials themselves. There is a tradeoff between credibility and control, however. The price of credibility is that government cannot be seen to control the independent experts."

Well, have you started yet? Anybody? I think you're facing one hell of a job.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by Icerider]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Excellent, so when are they going to start with the MSM?

Makes sense to start with them considering they were and are the largest conspiracy group regarding 9-11.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

Ahh, but I think it depends WHOSE conspiracy theory you are touting, if its the good, OS version thats ok, but if its the reasonable doubt, freedom of speech version, well, naughty naughty!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Icerider

Hmmm lets see maybe he could start with just a little more transparency on the almost decade old event. It almost sounds like some sort of inside joke, being that they are the ones controlling the information.

Isn't there still JFK evidence that has yet to be released? Who is this helping, what national security is this protecting? 9/11 seems to be going down this same path, I'd say it's about time for the second (9/11)commission. Didn't it take around a decade for the second JFK commission?

Maybe releasing all of the evidence, instead of forcing people to file endless FOIA's.

A good start would be the 88 confiscated pentagon videos that show nothing of importance anyways(according to them).

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by PersonalChoice

Excellent points - its no good attacking 'truthers' for lacking accurate information when the government are the ones withholding it.

But I really do think that they are on to a loser, because even without 911, people in general are becoming more cynical and mistrusting of officialdom, to the point where, if they tell me its friday, Im going to check 2 calenders - and then look to see who printed them, - before I accept it as true!

edited typo due to eyestrain!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Explanation: They have absolutely no need to infiltrate and here is why.. .ATS is an open website as long as one respects the T&C's and I feel they would get better feedback and maybe learn something that has even been kept from themselves due to compartmentalization, if and only if they were open about who they were and why they were here.

Personal Disclosure: Just like me and a few other members it is our transparancy online about who we are that PROTECTS us! The US and other world Governments would do well to do likewise! I remember an ATS members signature that read "I truthfull man doesn't need to remember ANYTHING!", but I can't remember whose quote it was...maybe Mark Twain!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Excellent points - its no good attacking 'truthers' for lacking accurate information when the government are the ones withholding it.

It was on live tv, no need for conspiracy theories.

We got attacked by Saudi Arabians and went to war with Afghanistan and Iraq.

Thats what happened in one sentence, like it or not.

Both sides put a ton of spin on it but thats the facts.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
If this actually happens, I have the following prediction:

They will quickly fold up shop after they learn what anutter waste of time it will be to try and educate the unwilling-to-learn truthers about the facts of 9/11.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420

It was on live tv, no need for conspiracy theories.

We got attacked by Saudi Arabians and went to war with Afghanistan and Iraq.

Thats what happened in one sentence, like it or not.

Both sides put a ton of spin on it but thats the facts.

Am I missing something? JP?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Cognitive Infiltration = Using knowledge to penetrate and debate the subject logistically

I don't see any harm in this as it gives so named "truthers" a stage to present their evidence to.

I see it as a step ahead when compared to the blatant ignorance that has surrounded the subject since it began.

I can see how some people on here will spin this into "they are coming for us" and "no more freedom of speech" both of which are wild.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joey Canoli
If this actually happens, I have the following prediction:

They will quickly fold up shop after they learn what anutter waste of time it will be to try and educate the unwilling-to-learn truthers about the facts of 9/11.

you can get enough facts from simply watching the news archives at the top of the page. funny but in the OP they werent trying to educate, they were trying to undermine.

Its no suprise that even though that is directly stated you didn't pick up on it.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by jprophet420]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
It is expected that the gov't will infiltrate any revolutionary thinking/speaking group. Those close nit groups should remain diligent from counter attacks, and sadly....trust no one.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420

you can get enough facts from simply watching the news archives at the top of the page. funny but in the OP they werent trying to educate, they were trying to undermine.

Yes, undermine the groups and websites that give out faulty information and replace it with real info. Funny that you skipped over that part.

And my original statement stands. They will give up once they realize they're wrong regarding the mental health of the typical conspiracy theorist/truther.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Joey Canoli

Right, but more people believe the story presented by the US government is false than not. There are just as many people with an 80 IQ and emotional problems that believe the OS as not. So undermining conspiracy groups would have to entail disinformation.

As I stated watch the news archives at the top of the page.

Since the government gives multiple accounts you'll just have to pick which groups are disinfo and which arent. Have fun with that.

new topics

top topics

join