It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant planetary body named G1.9

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
The idea that a SuperNova could have occured in the last 150 years is scary, but I remember some Native American folklore about several days that passed without a night. That could have been a SuperNova.

There is a similar story from China, believe the 11th Century. Talks in similar tone to the Native American myth of the several days with night. Astronomers believe it was a supernova, from a nearby star.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I agree to be honest. I never believed in any of the Nibiru/Planet X schtick befor now. But I have to concede-it's looking ever more daunting...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by lukeydukey

I agree to be honest. I never believed in any of the Nibiru/Planet X schtick befor now. But I have to concede-it's looking ever more daunting...

Don't worry about it. G1.9 is mis-identified in the OP's information.

G1.9 is not a brown dwarf or planet near our solar system, but rather it is a supernova roughly 25,000 light years away from our solar system (that's 1/4 way across our galaxy). The supernova exploded about 25,000 years ago, but the light just reached us 140 years ago:

Source - Chandra Telescope

The astronomers quoted in the OP say that G1.9 really isn't a far-off supernova as the rest of astronomers believe, but is actually close to us. HOWEVER, the method used by these scientists to come to the conclusion that G1.9 is closer to us than others think does not hold up under scrutiny.

edit on 2/28/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lukeydukey

Don't give up your scepticism so easily. Doom believers are clutching at straws and inventing all kinds of nonsense to keep it going. Over the years, Nibiru has been claimed to be a planet, a brown dwarf, a star, a giant spaceship, and god knows what else. I've heard NASA's news about G1.9, but only just now came across these claims that it's a planet heading towards us. Don't forget the claims that the comet Elenin is Nibiru, or that Nibiru is coming right after it.

The whole thing is such a mess of half-thruths and made up stories, that you'll do well to steer clear of them and base your conclusions on science rather than speculation.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Im not a beliver in that planet x stuff...but when i saw that picture of G1.9 it did remind me of the "Horned Disc" that nibru...

o well find out soon enough

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join