It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile phone that runs on coke!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I don't know if this a new technology or just a new application for current tech, seems pretty cool either way! I'm sure there could be quite few other applications for this 'bio battery' aswell.

From the sorce:

Ms Zheng said the prototype could run up to four times longer than a traditional lithium ion battery and has the potential to be fully biodegradable. The greenphone's bio battery generates electricity using enzymes to catalyse sugar in the drink. As the battery dies out, only water and oxygen are left behind. Unfortunately, Nokia will not be developing the greenphone prototype further in the near future. Ms Zheng told Sky News: "At the time they wanted something to bring out within the next two years and thought my design was too futuristic." But she added that bio batteries are being developed by large electronics companies and may be on the market in the next five years.

and heres a link to the source: Sky News

Woudn't it be great if this type of battery could replace existing, enviromentaly hazardous batterys! I've never heard of a battery that works by converting sugars into electricity before, I'm going to see if I can find some more info and scientific data on this.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by surfer_soul]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Hold on, water and oxygen?

The human body (as all animals) uses oxygen and sugars to produce energy with carbon dioxide and water as a byproduct.

Plants use oxygen and sugars but they require an external energy source (the sun via photosynthesis) to achieve this.

Theoretically a fuel cell could do the same but I don't think oxygen would be a byproduct, It would be consumed. I'm sure a chemistry nerd would back me up.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by OZtracized]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a very inovative idea, and expect similar type of solutions to go into more technology in the future.

new topics

join