It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Hai folks,

Did you enjoy the documentary series "Planet Earth" ... as a documentary geek/addict I must confess I absolutely loved it.

Well, Discovery Channel are back with a new documentary series by the same folks who created "Planet Earth" called LIFE.

I for one can't wait for it and thought I'd start a little commentary thread to discuss the episodes.

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

They have already aired here in the UK, they were great!

Life - Wikipedia.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

You've seen them?

But ... America ... should ... be ... first!

Damn it!

So is it as good as Planet Earth?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It's been on in England, last year.

It's awesome.

Planet Earth and The Blue Planet are better.... but anything that Attenborough narrates/presents is just brilliant.

The BBC do make amazing nature documentaries.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Haha, the BBC actually gets things right from time to time.

Yer, they are great! I preferred Planet Earth if I'm honest but like it has been said, anything Attenborough is involved in is always brilliant.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

it does sound amazing - I've heard about it from several people

and me without a television...

SD - maybe every time you watch an episode - the next day you could come to ATS and describe it to me?

that would be swell

:-)

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

*looks at bait ... circles bait ... lunges!*

Would you like to come over to watch it?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

*looks at bait ... circles bait ... lunges!*

LOL! man - like I was there

thank you SD - but I'll just have to watch little chunks on the internet and follow along as best I can...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Ok so this is a little strange ...

I did a yt search for "bbc life" and found dozens of vids such as this one:

And as our British friends have noted, the series is indeed narrated by Sir David Attenborough.

But on the Discovery website it says that it is narrated by Oprah Winfrey! dsc.discovery.com... ... is it a different series or do we have to listen to her?

Her voice is alright I guess but nothing beats the original voice of nature.

Argh!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Gutted man....

Hmmmmm Attenborough or Oprah....

That's a tough call.

Unfortunately it IS the same show.

dsc.discovery.com...

[edit on 15/1/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

flies are stupid...

OK - I can see that it would be worth it to piece together the entire series from little chunks on the internet - that is just beautiful

did you hear that thing ticking? I didn't know plants could do that :-)

Oprah...what did we yanks do to deserve such a cruel blow? Everyone knows nature is best explained with a British accent

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Just a quick reminder for our US residents that the series begins tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Well, I recorded the first two shows last night and just finished watching the first one ...

The good: Absolutely stunning documentary who's cinematography is even better than Planet Earth.

The bad: Oprah's narration is in my opinion horrendous and makes what should be an awe inspiring experience an ordeal to be suffered through.

So much so that I just went to Amazon UK and ordered the blue ray version (I thankfully have a region-free br player) with Sir. David Attenborough narrating. I just won't watch another one with her behind the mic. I have nothing against her mind you, I just think her voice is completely wrong for these documentaries.

So I will wait a few days and watch it with the narration of the man who defines the genre.

Argh, I hate it when the idiots in marketing try to improve perfection into a disaster.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I have yet to figure this out. Like why Star Trek came out in the UK and Au first.

Why? NOT fair.

But I have been watching it. Does not disappoint. I have Planet Earth on dvd.

I know a lot about nature and ecology. But the show never ceases to amaze me with things I have never heard of. Even if your a biologist or nature nut, there is plenty of new info instead of the same animal kingdom over and over. Like the mud ringing dolphins. I just shook my head in amazement.

The camera views are so amazing that it almost looks 3D sometimes, I can only imagine what it looks like on a decent tv. It must sizzle.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

They seem to have different narrators. Like Attenboroug does the BBC one, but you could also buy Planet Earth with Sigourney Weaver.

I can't say I am too impressed with Oprah. I wish they used Weaver again.

new topics

top topics

join