It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Manipulations Of Species

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The manipulations begin with psychology.

Lose Weight While You Eat

Bad Girl Sex : 75 Tricks For Nights When You Want to Be a Little Naughtier
The Surprising Touch That Whips A Guy On the First Date.

This is what your subconscious mind would have picked up on even if you were NOT looking directly at the cover of Cosmo from 2008, even if you were only looking at the pictures, had you been in a grocery store standing in line at the time it was out because that is a sample of the captions from the cover.
I have nothing personal against Cosmo.This is a thread of the Manipulations of Species. The lovely Lauren Conrad graces the cover of this one, but this thread is not about her. .
All captions taken from the cover of Cosmo ’08. www.zimbio.com...

And before I get flamed for quoting Cosmo ; this isn’t about Cosmo, so let’s look a bit deeper.

How many commercials do you remember from childhood based on the song that was in the commercial? Ones you remember based on the song alone?
And do you know how many images pass in front of your eyes on a daily basis in much of the West and large parts of the East? A conservative estimate, when one combines TV, Internet, movies, and the ever productive and unending spawn of new media formats, would be in the millions. That’s millions of images going into your mind on a daily basis.

All of our hunter-gatherer ancestors, had they been able to step into our media driven world for just a moment, would have been simply in awe. They would have been in sort of like a hypnotic trance from it all.
Though we, all of us, we have been conditioned to it. All of it. We are like the frogs in slowly simmering water; unaware of the danger.
As humans, we are all brilliant at adapting. But we are adapting to the manipulations of our own species.

Just after television was invented adults at some point remarked at how the commercials were not addressing the parents, but rather the kids. They were talking directly to kids to sell a product over the television!
And this was in the early days of TV, so now imagine how the effect must have grown? It would be growing exponentially.

Ladies, do you mind that the magazines at the checkout counters assume to have the authority to give you directions about how best to manipulate your man? You can say you don’t read Cosmo , but even if you only look at pictures of the magazine covers the captions still go into your mind. Your brain is an amazing machine which picks up information on levels that are baffling to scientists.

And similar themes are echoed in other magazines that are considered more “tasteful” than Cosmo. And Cosmo has a pretty big base of 18-35 year old readers.
So even if you disagree with my premise that this affects you, ladies, think of all the women who ARE affected by it because they actually read it?

Do you mind, ladies, that they are telling you that you need to lose weight everywhere you look?

Gentlemen, do you mind that women are taught to manipulate a man?
A guys only defense, it would seem, would be to buy Cosmo, Elle, Madamoiselle, etc, so that he knows what kind of information is going into many of the female minds of today’s pop culture.
Do you mind that the media manipulates us into believing that we have to have money in order to have a fulfilling love life? Most of us know that we do not, but that message is out there nonetheless.

We are not characters from a soap opera.
These are not the days of our lives and even those with emotionally balanced states and spiritually matured psyches are experiencing this barrage of conditioning.

This is a travesty.

This is the manipulation of our inner worlds and it’s right in front of our faces.
Do you see it?

[edit on 13-1-2010 by dragonsmusic]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Very insightful and well thought out S&F.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by pharaohmoan]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

All human interactions could be spun into 'manipulations,' if one was so inclined. I understand your point as it relates to advertising and society/ politics/ consumerism, etc., but I am not so sure why you chose to focus on women being manipulative towards men. There are many better illustration, IMHO.

I think this informative post may belie thought processes and issues of which you are currently dealing. Of course, that could be a whole other discussion of psychology, lol.

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/13/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by pharaohmoan
Very insightful and well thought out S&F.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by pharaohmoan]

That's cool, pahraohmoan.
Thanks

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
In my opinion this is just culture happening. Under any circumstances people will be influenced by their environment and other people, and societal ideals strongly effect the priorities and perceptions of individuals. This happens everywhere and always has.

Who should be the one to decide what direction the influence of ones cultural environment should be in? Obviously no one individual, these influences are emergent and a result of many people being part of a group.

The losing weight thing is relevent because we as a culture consider slender girls good looking(obviously there are exceptions). Yes, this ad probably perpetuates that notion of what girls ought to look like, but every culture has some sense of what is beautiful to them, and no one is right or wrong. This magazine is targeting certain groups by putting stuff on the cover that they believe appeals to those people. It's okay to do that, it's okay to promote your product.

People like things, they always have and they always will. There is this fantasy that people talk about in which everyone just gets over material possessions and becomes satisfied and fulfilled by spiritual things. This is not realistic. Small groups of people are able to live that way but there is no reason to think that society as a whole could or should live that way. It is not bad to want things. Everyone pursues whatever they want, and no one is more righteous for pursuing spiritual things than anyone else is for pursuing material objects.

All of this evil manipulation is the natural by-product of people getting together and trying to be happy. When they do that, five thousand years later you find them reading Cosmo and watching tv. If anyone rejects society, they are free to leave it. The alternative to what has come about in a relatively free market society(cosmo, all the ads) is to prohibit those things by law, or by threat of some consequence. I would much rather live in a society where people can make their own decisions and write whatever they want on the front of their magazines than one in which someone who thinks they have it all figure out tells us we have to abandon material wants and seek spiritual enlightenment. Imagine if the Catholic Church ran the world.

For the record I personally am way more focused on spiritual and personal development than material satisfaction or monetary success. I just understand that things are this way for natural reasons, and its okay. I respect a free market that becomes materialistic way more than I do a forced pursuit of enlightenment.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts
reply to post by dragonsmusic

All human interactions could be spun into 'manipulations,' if one was so inclined. I understand your point as it relates to advertising and society/ politics/ consumerism, etc., but I am not so sure why you chose to focus on women being manipulative towards men. There are many better illustration, IMHO.

I think this informative post may belie thought processes and issues of which you are currently dealing. Of course, that could be a whole other discussion of psychology, lol.

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/13/2010 by skunknuts]

They could be yes, so you get that part.
You wrote "I am not so sure why you chose to focus on women being manipulative towards men"
It's an example that hits home because women are hit the hardest by the fastball coming from society's 100mph plus top notch pitching staff.
And it's society's conditioning of women to make them into manipulators that I'm commenting on. I thought you got that part; guess not.
This might clarify what I've written as well as the questions behind your not-so-subtlely suggested insinuations you made at the end.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Yes, I see it, and I am appalled. Always have been.

But the television has surpassed everything in manipulation and misrepresentations, as well as complete lack of morality. I'm referring not only to programming here, but commercials in particular.

I've read articles in women's magazines about "what men want", and laugh. No doubt they were written by men. Would have to be. The male fantasy on what he would like a woman to do...to be. Then it is presented as a big secret that savvy women know, and are sharing with you.

Seriously. Why would intelligent women do these things to themselves?

This might sound a little like male-bashing, and that's not my intention.
Whatever idea a guy comes up with for a commercial or article, there is a woman somewhere approving it, or helping to get it produced.

It's the degeneration of a society. Shallow and valueless.

[edit on 1/13/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Yes, I see it, and I am appalled. Always have been.

But the television has surpassed everything in manipulation and misrepresentations, as well as complete lack of morality. I'm referring not only to programming here, but commercials in particular.

I've read articles in women's magazines about "what men want", and laugh. No doubt they were written by men. Would have to be. The male fantasy on what he would like a woman to do...to be. Then it is presented as a big secret that savvy women know, and are sharing with you.

Seriously. Why would intelligent women do these things to themselves?

This might sound a little like male-bashing, and that's not my intention.
Whatever idea a guy comes up with for a commercial or article, there is a woman somewhere approving it, or helping to get it produced.

It's the degeneration of a society. Shallow and valueless.

[edit on 1/13/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

Nice points , as usual, lady.
The commercial one really stands out for me. And totally reinforces the topic. The disclaimers at the end of those drug commercials are just mind-blowing.
What you said about the male writers is a very interesting point.
And no , you don't sound like you are male - bashing

It IS the degeneration of society indeed; because it's the manipulations of our inner selves.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned
In my opinion this is just culture happening. Under any circumstances people will be influenced by their environment and other people, and societal ideals strongly effect the priorities and perceptions of individuals. This happens everywhere and always has.

Who should be the one to decide what direction the influence of ones cultural environment should be in? Obviously no one individual, these influences are emergent and a result of many people being part of a group.

The losing weight thing is relevent because we as a culture consider slender girls good looking(obviously there are exceptions). Yes, this ad probably perpetuates that notion of what girls ought to look like, but every culture has some sense of what is beautiful to them, and no one is right or wrong. This magazine is targeting certain groups by putting stuff on the cover that they believe appeals to those people. It's okay to do that, it's okay to promote your product.

People like things, they always have and they always will. There is this fantasy that people talk about in which everyone just gets over material possessions and becomes satisfied and fulfilled by spiritual things. This is not realistic. Small groups of people are able to live that way but there is no reason to think that society as a whole could or should live that way. It is not bad to want things. Everyone pursues whatever they want, and no one is more righteous for pursuing spiritual things than anyone else is for pursuing material objects.

All of this evil manipulation is the natural by-product of people getting together and trying to be happy. When they do that, five thousand years later you find them reading Cosmo and watching tv. If anyone rejects society, they are free to leave it. The alternative to what has come about in a relatively free market society(cosmo, all the ads) is to prohibit those things by law, or by threat of some consequence. I would much rather live in a society where people can make their own decisions and write whatever they want on the front of their magazines than one in which someone who thinks they have it all figure out tells us we have to abandon material wants and seek spiritual enlightenment. Imagine if the Catholic Church ran the world.

For the record I personally am way more focused on spiritual and personal development than material satisfaction or monetary success. I just understand that things are this way for natural reasons, and its okay. I respect a free market that becomes materialistic way more than I do a forced pursuit of enlightenment.

Who should be the one to decide that direction indeed?
It is normal in every society, I agree.
While I understand your points I want to you to see that it's the VOLUME of images, sounds, etc. that we face in today's society which is unprecedented.
The sheer bombardment of the senses is perplexing and it is one of the themes of this thread that I am not sure you are connecting with.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by dragonsmusic]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned

I just understand that things are this way for natural reasons, and its okay. I respect a free market that becomes materialistic way more than I do a forced pursuit of enlightenment.

I am happy that I live in a free society, yes. But nonetheless there is a responsibility involved also...to others, to our youth, to help and guide them in developing values and morals. Without those, what is the ultimate destination of society? Somewhere you want to go? Somewhere you want your children to go? Into an amoral oblivion of superficial accoutrements?

The free market can do as it pleases, I suppose, but to whose detriment?
The out and out lies consumerism is based on. The absolute greed of vendors who will say and do anything to promote their own personal gain.

And what is a "forced pursuit of enlightenment"?. lol. Not sure about that one. At least it presumes a worthwhile chase. Usually by persons who choose to entertain lofty ideas and thoughts. Ideas that are superior in nature to the mundane and self-serving motivations of big business.

The free market by it's own nature is inherently materialistic. But that doesn't mean there should not be some responsibility and integrity involved.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
I am happy that I live in a free society, yes. But nonetheless there is a responsibility involved also...to others, to our youth, to help and guide them in developing values and morals. Without those, what is the ultimate destination of society? Somewhere you want to go? Somewhere you want your children to go? Into an amoral oblivion of superficial accoutrements?

No, obviously I would prefer not ending up in an amoral oblivion of superficial accoutrements. But, I don't think that is what is happening. Some people will live in accordance with ideals that you share and some won't. It's more important to let people act freely than it is to impose one's own subjective morals. People have access to - or are at least made aware of - many different belief systems and world views, and they - based on many things - choose what to believe and therefore how to act. The only justifiable way to influence societies behavior at a moral level to demonstrate that a certain moral code or belief system leads to a desirable kind of life. Then people will be more likely choose that belief system. The responsibility that individuals have is to live by a moral code they believe in, and to demonstrate the value of such a moral code. Society as a whole cannot be held accountable, because society is just a collection of individuals living the way that they want to live. If you want a certain moral atmosphere, you have to make people want to live that way. Don't blame society, blame individuals.

The free market can do as it pleases, I suppose, but to whose detriment?
The out and out lies consumerism is based on. The absolute greed of vendors who will say and do anything to promote their own personal gain.

People will protect what is important to them, and will not protect what is not important to them. The free market will do as it pleases to the detriment of things and people society doesn't care about. This may be a sad truth, but it is the case. People chose what is important and protect it, and if the free market works to the detriment of something or someone, it is because the people have chosen not to protect that thing. And who ought to choose what is important if not the people? Also, personal gain is okay, it is what motivates productivity in all aspects of life.(even philanthropy - this is just a case of personal gain because it feels good to help others)

And what is a "forced pursuit of enlightenment"?. lol. Not sure about that one. At least it presumes a worthwhile chase. Usually by persons who choose to entertain lofty ideas and thoughts. Ideas that are superior in nature to the mundane and self-serving motivations of big business.

Well, I just made that phrase up to refer to whatever alternative may be proposed to guide(through some form of coersion) the ambitions of society away from what they are naturally - so I'm not really sure what it would be. I think that the chase it presumes may be worthwhile to you and me and others, but obviously not to most people. It's not like most people don't know that they could persue spiritual/personal developement, they just choose not to. So to them, enlightenment is not a worthwhile cause. The superiority of the nature of enlightenment is for individuals to decide, and as of now they are siding with big business.

The free market by it's own nature is inherently materialistic. But that doesn't mean there should not be some responsibility and integrity involved.

I agree that there should be... but what is most important is that it is left up to the people to put it there - otherwise it's not free - and right now they are choosing not to.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by OnceReturned]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

Actually, I can't make an argument against most of your thoughts, because they are essentially meaningful, and sadly true.

But when you can't sit down and watch a television program with a seven year old without giving them a sex education via the commercials, it's time to slow it down.

We have the girls who can have sex anytime, anywhere, because of birth control. The folks who have sexually transmitted diseases, but they are still sexually free because of medication. And lets not forget the old guys who can easily correct the E.D. lol. Now even the couple in bed with the fireworks going off because of the topical ointments.

I don't know a single person who enjoys or appreciates these commercials, but nonetheless there they are. I think even the doctor's are tired of all the ads for medications. I keep thinking they will cause some intervention, but apparently no one can stand against the drug companies.

Many young immature people have developed eating disorders and even died striving to achieve a certain appearance. Of course there is personal responsibility, and parental responsibility here, but we can't discount the role the media has played in this.

I think and will always think that people who are in positions of power, and who hold a means to shape our society and form public opinions have an obligation to do it in a responsible way. Especially as far as youths are concerned. It's better to offer guidance and teach values (and yes, it's okay to do that, too!), rather than to brainwash with flimsy ideals and unwholesome lifestyles.

new topics

top topics

join