It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Haiti

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Well, I just donated to the website I posted, yele.org. I guess I'll be the guinea pig and let you know if it's a scam or not.

It's safer to donate to the Red Cross, so everyone just go ahead and do that instead.

[edit on 1/13/10 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Here ya go mate..

www.who.is...

It's Wycleff's Charity...

[edit on 13/1/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
I am talking about the capitalists at the top who have caused the degradation of Haiti.

The Degradation of Haiti by western Capitalists? Simplistic slogans derived from Communist Literature dont to a good job of reflecting very many complex influences in Haiti, do they.

Does asking for Donations and Help have to go along with a side-jab to us Capitalists (Im one
).

I guess I want to live in the world where these organizations can just say "hey, could you help a brother out?" - without all the "the imperialist oppressor is raping us and making us eat dirt" BS

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

First I would like to say your wanting to help others is a good thing.

Second - The Smith Act is still on the books. Why don't you move to a country where your philosophy is welcome. I would like to have your house since you believe all property should be communal.

I live in Houston too, and would love to see what happens to you out on the streets trying to push your philosophy. You are definitely in the wrong place.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by timewalker]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Does ignoring the truth make you feel better?

If it does, just let me know and you won't have to keep defending your illogical position.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Oh I love that. You are a true American. You're the kind who waves your flag and preaches about all the freedoms you have, but tells anyone with an opposing view they are not welcome and should leave.

People only have the right to freedom of speech when it is something you agree with, right? Nice delusion you've subjected yourself to.

Here is a little history lesson for you:

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

That is an excerpt of the Declaration of Independence. Ever heard of it? The Founding Fathers you so blindly bow down to for creating this great utopia you think you live in did exactly what the Smith Act says we are not allowed to do. You know what that's called? Hypocrisy - something quite prevalent in American culture.

What ever delusions make you feel more comfortable in your beliefs, you are fully entitled to them. But don't pass along that line of BS to me as if it is supposed to somehow intimidate me in to adopting your line of thinking.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Yele.org seems legit.

Tax fileings.

This is the site for shecking there tax status of charities and foundations.
foundationcenter.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Skyfloating

Does ignoring the truth make you feel better?

If it does, just let me know and you won't have to keep defending your illogical position.

As proven by this thread, my position is not that illogical. Rather than getting some support, a bunch of time is wasted arguing with people who feel attacked.

And isnt it that way in real-life too? Commies waste their energy being antagonistic, energy that could have been invested into the positive.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Commies waste their energy being antagonistic, energy that could have been invested into the positive.

You think so? Because 'poedxsoldiervet' said something about my position, I responded, then some people stepped in and it was dropped. The thread then took a different direction with suggestions on where to donate.

But then you came along and brought it back to life. Not only did you bring it back to life, but you made it worse. So really, who is the antagonist here?

I truly hope you feel more secure in your life now. Every big ego needs a little confrontation to re-enforce itself. I hope you have accomplished that.

Now, I will leave the last word to you. I have no doubt you want it. Maybe after you make yourself feel a little more secure after getting the final word in we can have an actual discussion in this thread.

If you can't sum up what you have to say in one more post, I would be more than happy to debate you on it in another thread. But as for this thread, leave it to the original point.

Sound good?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I respect your freedom to think any way you wish, but when you blame the civilization you live in for the poverty of the world, I take offense. I assume you have a job, pay rent or mortgage, taxes, eat at restaurants, go the movies or do what you please. You can thank capitalism for that. Are you not partaking in the system you hate so much. If I did not love my country I would leave.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Leaving does no good. What you don't understand about my belief is I disapprove of all countries - including the ones you probably assume I approve of such as Cuba and Venezuela. So where should I go? The Moon? If I had the ability, I would.

Now, go ahead and respond like Skyfloating will. After that, how about we get back to the original topic?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I truly hope you feel more secure in your life now. Every big ego needs a little confrontation to re-enforce itself. I hope you have accomplished that.

Im defending myself and my Pals which you attacked in in the OP.

We care about people in trouble, we have the means to help, and help we do, regardless of the Propaganda waged against us.

No need to respond, thats all I wanted to make clear.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I will be on my way. I did not mean to derail your thread. You just pissed me off for a minute.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Here ya go mate..

www.who.is...

It's Wycleff's Charity...

As blupblup said, the www.yele.org website is the website of the Yéle Haiti Foundation founded in 2005 by a Haitian musician named Wyclef Jean.

en.wikipedia.org...

It appears to be legit. It has a number to text to donate just like the Red Cross does. I'm not sure how easy it is to get one of those but it probably wouldn't have been promoted as widespread as it has been if it was a scam.

I edited my post and put a warning on there just in case. Like I said, it's probably better to just donate to Red Cross.

Originally posted by JBA2848
Yele.org seems legit.

Tax fileings.

This is the site for shecking there tax status of charities and foundations.
foundationcenter.org...

Sorry, didn't see your post. Thanks for posting that!

[edit on 1/13/10 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Haiti has been suffocated and stunted of any positive economic growth for many years thanks to Western Capitalist economic imperialism's stranglehold on countries and populations it deems inferior.

Because of this, a disaster such as an earthquake can not only rock the fragile foundation of this country for decades to come, but will shatter the foundation of hundreds or thousands of families forever.

This is a country whose people's every day lives consist of everything from being raped by UN peacekeepers to eating dirt to survive. Their every day lives are this way because of the men and women we choose to allow to lead our much more privileged countries. Should we really count on those same men and women to live up to their promises and deliver the aid that the people of Haiti need and deserve?

We should take an issue in to our own hands for once and make a difference. That is why I am asking you all to donate to the cause of delivering that aid to people whose already miserable lives have been made much worse as a result of this disaster.

Caritas Internationalis, American Red Cross, and British Red Cross are just a few of the nonprofit organizations accepting donations to aid in the efforts to provide search-and-rescue teams, medical care, food, clothing, and shelter to the people of Haiti.

Every little bit helps, so if you have a few extra Dollars or Euros, please spend it on something that matters.

I would never blame the situation on Western Capitalism because that is America's economic system, not the economic system of Haiti. Foreign Policy and Economy are two different things.

I want to know where the billions of America's tax payers' dollars have gone? Shouldn't that be enough money to build stable houses or shelters or give them food or boost their economy? Nope - they are STILL the poorest country in the western hemisphere and don't seem to have ever grown. I say we cut off ALL monetary resources to foreign countries, because it is plainly obvious that it does little to nothing. What about all the money we send to other third world countries? They are still third world countries!

We have enough problems in America, so we need to cut our "money giving" to other countries and fix ourselves before we will have any idea how to help another country. Good lord people. There we go again - being the high and mighty Americans.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I have nothing against helping the people of other countries, but what about some help for folk here at home first? My heart goes out to those citizens of Haiti who have just lost there homes and everything in them, but here in Canada and the U.S.A. the same is happening on a daily basis to hardworking folk from coast to coast, yet I don't know of any government agency or any charity that is tripping over themselves as they rush to help. I must admit that losing a house to the bank isn't nearly as sensational as far as the media is concerned, as is losing it to a natural disaster, but for those who have worked their butts off for years that they may own a home in which to raise a family, the loss can be every bit as traumatic and devastating.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I don't have much money as it is,if I did it would be to help People and causes in the USA. How screwed up Haiti is,even before the quake,giving the Haitian government large amounts money would be like flushing it down the toilet.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

Groups raise doubts about Wyclef Jean's charity

LOS ANGELES -- Groups that vet charities are raising doubts about the organization backed by Haitian-born rapper Wyclef Jean, questioning its accounting practices and ability to function in earthquake-hit Haiti.

Even as more than $2 million poured into The Wyclef Jean Foundation Inc. via text message after just two days, experts questioned how much of the money would help those in need.

"It's questionable. There's no way to get around that," said Art Taylor, president and chief executive of the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance, based in Arlington, Va.

Taylor reviewed Internal Revenue Service tax returns for the organization also known as Yele Haiti Foundation from 2005 through 2007. He said the first red flag of poor accounting practices was that three years of returns were filed on the same day - Aug. 10 of last year.

In 2007, the foundation's spending exceeded its revenues by $411,000. It brought in just $79,000 that year.

An Associated Press review of tax returns and independent audits provided by Jean's foundation showed that it was closely intertwined with Jean's businesses.

Three of the five foundation board members - Jean, Jerry Duplessis and Seth Kanegis - are involved in his personal music and business endeavors.

According to an IRS tax return from 2006 reviewed earlier by the Web site The Smoking Gun, the foundation paid $250,000 to buy airtime from Telemax S.A., a for-profit TV station in Haiti that is majority owned by Jean and Duplessis.

Part of that money went to pay for a concert in Haiti put on by Jean himself, Locke said.

Another $160,000 that year was spent on a concert in Monte Carlo that Jean participated in, of which $75,000 paid for backup singers and $25,000 went to Jean through a company he owns with Duplessis, Platinum Sound Recording Studios Inc., Locke said.

"I'm not saying he didn't benefit from it," said Locke, who says his own salary is $8,100 a month after taxes. "We were paying that to Platinum Sound because that covered the cost of him participating in the event."

Locke argued that the foundation took in "several hundred thousand" dollars in exchange for Jean's work through the proceeds of an auction.

The foundation also rents office space from Platinum Sound, paying about $2,600 a month in New York. Locke said the foundation also plans to partner with Jean's Sak Pase Records to build a music studio to provide vocational training to Haitian children.

I hate to say it but I told you so. Watch out for where you donate money folks! This article is about the scam from Yele Haiti Foundation.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
kdka.com...

Beware Of Bogus Charities For Relief In Haiti Reporting

It's a very sad reality that tragedies like the Haiti earthquake bring out the best and worst in people.

Scam artists are at it again. There's one on the internet right now that is bound to confuse the recipient.

And on top of all the scumbags out there, some credit card companies are taking some of your donations to line their own pockets.

It all adds up to the standard advice: donor beware.

If you get an email from the British Red Cross Society asking for a donation for Haiti relief, delete it immediately.

"Don't open it," says Warren King, president of the Better Business Bureau.

In fact, that's good advice for any unsolicited email or text request you get. The scammers are already out in force to take advantage of another human tragedy in Haiti.

"These con artists are going to take advantage of this," says King. "They're going to try to download viruses into your computer that will steal more information from you."

King says the British Red Cross Society email is only the latest scam. More are coming and good-hearted Americans will be victims if they don't take heed.

"Be proactive, not reactive," he said.

Seek out familiar charities you know and check them out at www.bbb.org where you can learn all kinds of information about them.

Then make certain the group you're giving to is a legitimate tax-exempt charity at www.irs.gov.

"Right on the front page today even there is a link on there telling you about the earthquake tragedy," says Andrew Hromoko of the IRS.

And here's something that may not seem right, but it's perfectly legal -- credit card fees.

"Monies that were donated to charities - $250 million of fees went to credit card companies," says attorney Clayton Morrow.

KDKA Political Editor Jon Delano: "$250 million skimmed off the top of donations to charities?"

"That's my understanding," Morrow said.

Morrow, who battles credit card companies for clients, says these companies are taking three percent of your donations in transaction fees.

So far, American Express and Visa are waiving the fees but you may have no alternative but to write an old-fashioned check.

"To make sure that 100 percent of the money goes to the charity that needs the money," he said.

Both American Express and Visa are extending the waiver only to donations to some better-known charities so you have to check with them.

The waiver expires at the end of February.

During most tragedies, credit card companies make huge profits as unknowing donors use their cards to make donations.

To get all your money to your charity, write a check.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

As long as they don't steal my credit card number I'm fine. I only donated $5 to that charity.

So far just the $5 has been pulled from my account. I'm keeping an eye on it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join