It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need official psych terms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Pyromaniacs like fire.
What's the word for people who like explosions?
Explodophiles?

What's the male counterpart to a nymphomaniac?
Some would suggest `normal'.
Satyromaniac, perhaps?

My boss likes to sniff women's hair.
Name that philia!
(aside from Creepy)

Xenophobes are scared of foreigners.
What if you aren't scared but just hate them?
Maloxenia?

I have a serious problem with the Stuipid.
Am I a malostupida?

Please help.
(Many say I need it)

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The closest thing there is to "official" nomenclature is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, now in its fourth revised edition (and so bandied about as "DSM IV-TR"), with a fifth edition scheduled for 2012.

So, now, maybe the only time in my life that I shall ever give a Wiki cite to anything (but the contents of DSM are proprietary, so full-length legal freebies are harder to find than with some other things):

en.wikipedia.org...

As you look over the list, you will see that cutesy Greco-Roman names for things ending in -phobia, -philia, or occasionally -ia are not really all that prevalent anymore.

Some of the old names were simply made up anyway. They don't necessarily have any science behind them. Sometimes they were simply prejudicial, and the Greek covered up the bigotry. Hysteria, for instance, was a swipe at women (womb disease, it says).

Some have passed into the language, and your best source there would be ordinary English language resources. Or, if you like Greco-Roman, then those dictionaries, and tack on whichever suffix you mean.

So far as I know, there isn't anything pathological about liking to smell hair, and that probably confers survival advantage for mammals. Feel free to make something up, maybe piliphilia. (Oops, well, actually that is searchable... and here is an entire list of paraphilias related to sex...

www.jimgoad.net...

)

Your intuition about satyr is correct, it is satyriasis - or hypersexuality for the politically correct who insist that even a ... >ahem< persistent and recurring freestandingness >ahem

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Thanks muchly.

Love the listing - have to read that one over. Just found a listing for my Droid (phone) so I can mutter them aloud at work.

I understand we're at the doorstep of the next DSM....

new topics

join