It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google 'may end China operations over e-mail breaches'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Google 'may end China operations over e-mail breaches'

news.bbc.co.uk

Internet search company Google says it may end operations in China over alleged breaches of the e-mail accounts of Chinese human rights activists. It said... it had detected a "highly sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China". "A primary goal of the attackers was accessing the gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists", it added.

...the company said it was "no longer willing to continue censoring our results" on its Chinese search engine...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is big news, marking a sudden shift in policy from Google.

All credit to Google for such a robust response!

Apparently activists in the US and Europe have also been the target of these intrusions by, shall we say, 'unknown third parties with an interest in putting down dissent within China'.

Does this mean Google will no longer be regarded with so much distaste by those who have grown increasingly sceptical of its determination to pursue ethical policies, as opposed to growth at any cost?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I am glad Google is gonna stand up to China.

I think the Chinese genocidal government is sickening.

At least I have a semblance of freedom in the states despite our shortcomings.

I hope they cut the cord on China so bad, I am SO sick of their endless hacking BS.

Get rid of that Totalitarian nightmare of a government.

When democratic processes are allowed, then we should go back to China to do fair business.

Yes I am Bias, I prefer freedom over slavery.
Do we not all share this bias fellow free peoples?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well said. Google should have done itself - and a billion Chinese - a favor by never agreeing to the Chinese government's provisos in the first place. With the company's record so badly tarnished you're left wondering whether the motives for this new move are in reality as pure as meets the eye. There's obviously a lot still to come out - at present we're only being given the bare bones.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
There is an already existing thread on this topic here.

Please contribute any further questions and/or comments to the above linked thread.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

top topics

join