It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS talent contest - Season 2. **Comments and Questions**

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
***Comments and Questions thread***

It's that time again. Time to let your little star shine. (Or if you're more the Ozzy Osbourne type: make the hair on the back of our necks stand on end...
)

Seeing that the first edition had only a handful of entries we're going to lighten up on the limitations a bit. This round there is going to be two categories:

1. General

Yep. You've guessed it. Anything goes. Sing, dance, whistle, play a pipe organ or even an air guitar... Anything. If you feel it's a talent, then show us. (We'll be the judge...
) Can you do better than the famous (infamous?) Sauron whom opened a bottle of beer with his eye...
Or think you're a better singer than the previous winner, OmegaLogos? This is your moment.

There are rumours that a certain moderator has the talent of biting his toe nails. And another one doing something that involves beer and roller-skates...

Let's see if it's all talk...

2. I love ATS-song

If you're familiar with Discovery channel's "I love the World" ad campaign, you'll know where this is going... If you're unfamiliar with the ad that went viral, look it up on YouTube or visit Discovery.

What you have to do, is download one of the backtracks from Discovery (You can choose between Country, Disco, Hip Hop, Orchestral and Rock) for free, write "ATS is just awesome" lyrics to it, and perform it. Easy as that.

How does it work:

1. Record yourself showing off you talent on video (or MP3 for the “ATS is Awesome” song).
2. Upload the video to Media@ATS for the general category. Upload your MP3 to the PODCasts section or your video/MP3 to the Media@ATS section.
3. Post your clip in the entries thread HERE.
4. Members will then give stars to the entries. Member votes will count 33% and Judges’ votes will count 67%.
5. The competition will close Friday 28 January 2010 at 12 PM GMT – at which point the member voting will be tallied.
6. Judges votes will then be added and the winners announced.
7. If you want to comment on an entry or ask a question you can do so HERE.

Rules:

1. The competition is open to everyone (staff included – but no points for them!).
2. Your entry MUST be your own property, i.e. not someone else’s talent.
3. Applies to the general category: You have to indicate at the beginning of the video clip that the clip is intended for ATS, for example say “This is my talent for the ATS talent contest” or hold up a piece of paper with “FOR ATS” written on it.
4. Applies to the general category: Your video MUST be uploaded to Media @ ATS. Video clips hosted by other sites such as YouTube will not be accepted.
5. Applies to the "I Love ATS" category: Entries to the second/"ATS is just Awesome" category can be done via PODCast (upload here), MP3 uploaded to Media@ATS or video uploaded to Media@ATS.
6. Nothing illegal will be accepted.
7. DO NOT put yourself or anyone else in danger. Trying to shoot an apple from your brother’s head with a crossbow will not be accepted. If you juggle the 3 cats, 5 hamsters and the washing machine and one of the hamsters sprains an ankle, you will be disqualified!
8. You do not have to show your face in the video. If your talent requires a “wide angle” shot, be creative if you wish to hide your identity.
9. Any member can enter as many entries as he or she likes.
10. All comments in the entries thread will be removed. Entries only! Comments, questions and discussions about entries go here:
11. The usual board Terms and Conditions apply.
12. You MUST have fun!

Prizes:
Category:
General Talents:
First Prize: 25,000 points
Second Prize: 15,000 points
Third Prize: 10,000 points

ATS is just AWESOME-song
First Prize: 25,000 points
Second Prize: 15,000 points
Third Prize: 10,000 points

*** This thread is for Comments and Questions ONLY! ***

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Right ... I know I failed the sacred pug last time, I hope not to repeat this injustice.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Right. We have standing deal... (If only I can remember what it was.)

Bring it on...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Question: How many entries per member is allowed?

I have a video I made I would like to upload, however I also have some musical talent I would like to share as well.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

looks like as many as you wish

9. Any member can enter as many entries as he or she likes.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Ok cool....

Another question lol:

The movie I would like to upload was one I made a few months ago for a project in school: It has my friends as actors in it, however I was the one who produced it: I.E. wrote the script, acted in it, edited the video, ect.

Is this OK?

I do have credits at the end...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

That one's above my paygrade

I'll let supermod Gemwolf handle that query since he's running this show

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

You can Upload your song/music to ATS Member PODcasts. Follow the instructions making sure the The PodCast type is BTS Music. it's all straight forward, but if you need a hand let me know. PodCasts are also worth 2500 points.

[edit on 12/1/2010 by Sauron]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

I'm afraid not. The video has to be produced for the sole purpose of the ATS talent contest (thus the requirement of the "for ATS" announcement at the beginning of the video). This way we can make sure it's our own member's work, and not somebody else's video they lifted from the Internet. Perhaps you could convince your friends to make another movie for ATS?

(On a side note - why not post your video project in the ATS member’s art forum. We'd love to see your work. Shoot me a U2U if and when you decide to do so.)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
What you have to do, is download one of the backtracks from Discovery (You can choose between Country, Disco, Hip Hop, Orchestral and Rock) for free, write "ATS is just awesome" lyrics to it, and perform it. Easy as that.

Ack! I've tried several times to download the music, but when I click the download button, it just plays in quicktime and I can't find it on my machine... Right clicking doesn't give me an option of saving it to my machine. WHat am I doing wrong?

NEVER MIND! I got it!
Had to open Windows Media Player and use it to download.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I have another question about the I love ATS song. The downloads are pretty short. Can I lengthen it to be the same size as the original song on the Discovery video?

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Of course you can. Which will naturally earn you some additional brownie points.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
...And the floor is officially open with Benevolent Heretic's entry. Boy did she set the bar high!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
OK, so here's my bundle of ideas and feelings

If it's a song I'm singing then I'm going against other vocalists, right?
Or would I pour my heart and soul into a song that would go up against someone opening a beer bottle with his eye. No offense to Sauron, that sounds pretty incredible if true, but it sounds like even though there are many different categories that there will be a crossing over. Not just this.

Let's say I WRITE the song and then SING it. Is it the lyrics going against others who have taken the time and effort to write lyrics?
What if I'm going up against a singer who had someone else write the lyrics? That would be a collaboration and perfectly legal, but would I be competing as the writer in that case? or as the singer? or as the musician?

And I already have sort of a ballad . I could change the key so that it can go with the tracks that are available. So, can I mix the tracks?
Some of what I want needs to go with the orchestral beat and I want to mix it in with some changes and incorporate a rock beat for the chorus.
Can I do that or does it have to follow the exact same verse pattern while staying on one of the particular beats?

And can I just create one of my own from scratch ? It says I can on the site but that's separate from what we are doing here , I think.
Also I have a ballad which is told from the perspective of Johnny Anonymous.
In the song I sing the line "And I'm an anonymous Johnny."

That might not make sense with this , or maybe it could. I don't even know. When I make up my own music there is no pattern I follow. I just do it.
I just mean that the way I want to do it will make sense to everyone when I sing "I'm an anonymous Johnny" but if you're not a member you won't know who I'm talking about or why I'm calling myself that while singing about conspiracies.

I know that's a ton, but obviously this has caught my attention and I need to know.
I would like to know, please.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I think you're over-thinking it a bit.

The point of the contest is to have fun and show off what you believe is your talent of even just try and be entertaining.

Think of the contest as an "America's got Talent" or "X-Factor" thing. You've got people swallowing swords, dancing, doing stand-up comedy, singing, doing impersonations - all competing. It's not necessarily the person with the best voice or the prettiest eyes that wins (will win). It's the person that is the most entertaining, or in other words the person that steals the audience's hearts.

Take a look at the first contest. Wacky. Weird. Fun.

Don't bother yourself too much with the technical stuff. Just keep the three main rules in mind: Stay within the T&Cs, it must be your own performance and HAVE FUN.

Hope that gives you some direction.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Gem, I LOVE your entry! You can sing! I had no idea.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Ok, thanks.
Yeah I thought about that one too much for sure .
The problem was I already do have a few ATS songs I'm playing with.
And I'm excited to use the line I'm an anonymous Johnny and so I jumped at this thinking it would be a good time for it, but it's not.
It will be exciting to watch this.
I won't be participating as a contestant though with all due respect.
It might not be a rated PG song.
It might be like PG 13, or R.
It coincides that my foul mouth might be get me into trouble if I do this song. I can't very well sing about how much I love the go#$amn ATS

And musically those lyrics fit.
And express my feelings at the same time.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Well I was thinking about inhaling a beer up my nose this time, after I open it with my eye

top topics

join