It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Little Bit Of Suicide

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

A little bit of suicide a day keeps the doctor away
A little bit of suicide a week keeps the nightmares at bay
A little bit of suicide a month keeps my friends worrying
A little bit of suicide a year keeps my heart still beating
A little bit of suicide every season keeps me filled with hate
A little bit of suicide every decade keeps society awake
A little bit of suicide every generation keeps the kids in graves
A little bit of suicide every turn of the century keeps the bright minds saved
A little bit of suicide every millennium makes the history books more interesting
A little bit of suicide every dawn of creation makes the world worth saving
A little bit of suicide every lifetime makes our lives so much more loved
There is something inside of us all
Its not anger, passion, hope, or just cause
Theres a little bit of suicide in us all

A little bit of suicide makes me who I am today...

I think if a person wants to end his/her life...they should be allowed to do so. There should be human means to end one's life like death by injection (as given in death sentences). Why people who choose to end their life have to find painful ways like hanging, cutting, asphyxiation, jumping etc to do something to themselves. Shouldn't people be allowed to die in dignified way?

What is wrong with suicide morally? socially? ethically? If a person chooses to end their life why they should not do it?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. No matter how bad it is today, in a few days, that feeling of pain goes away. Plus it's a cowards way out. Dealing with life's adversities shows character, and should be something to be proud of.

A persons death affects a lot of people. Never in a good way. It's selfish.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Having thought about commiting suicide myself a few times, I think I can say a little bit of the piece of my mind on the matter ( I'm too chicken to do it myself, plus I'd rather find a solution to a problem, than to not have to deal with the problem upfront).
Suicide is an easy option, I agree with assisted suicide, if the person is so unwell, and in no way possible to cure , and if they decide to end it, so they should be able to without fear of ridicule or legal action and to do it with dignity.
As for someone simply bored of their life , I cannot condone it, there is no greater gift than life itself, we are here to learn about our place in the universe and sometimes we don't learn all we can, we settle into mundanity and if you don't like it , change your ways to find something you DO enjoy, don't simply kill yourself because you can or because your bored or tired.
I'm not going to get into the whole philosophical debate , God forbids it etc, as I feel the religous aspect is one of more material views in suicide ( cynical I know but thats me) ( I feel that if a person commits suicide the church doesn't recieve any revenue, so the church says to counter it " commit suicide and you'll burn in hell"sort of nonsense).
Prisoners have justice done upon them, and pay the price, if I were to commit suicide I think I would try to find one that is peaceful and unmessy.
As for the legal aspects , whats the point ? if you die the law can't fine you can they? Hahaha , one up on the man.
Suicide for 'fun' in my humble opinion is just a cop out, if lifes that bad, change your life, find something different no matter how abrupt the change, after all most suiciders don't think about the family or friends left behind, they are only thinking of themselves and thats just plain selfish to me.
Having been in that situation of friends commiting suicide ( of sorts) ( he deliberatley didn't take his epilepsy medication and therefore died of an attack - my mother ( his step mother) found him dead in his bed and tried to resusitate him to no avail), suicide of sorts. I do and don't agree with suicide, it all depends on the person and the situation IMO.

The suiciders I hate and I mean HATE, are the ones that jump infront of a train and hold everything up, they stop people getting home, and don't think of the driver of said train, no compassion from the suicider, just selfishness, no matter how bad their lives are they just want everyone else to suffer their misery.

[edit on 12/1/10 by DataWraith]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

reply to post by DataWraith

Sometimes no problem is needed. What about people who just don't want to live and are forced to live(eventhough they are healthy). Who do not find life holding any meaning at all...Isn't it selfish of people asking others to live forcefully? Just because they do not feel hurt they demand other people should not suicide. Imo that's selfish as well.

A person choosing death over life is selfless and not selfish. If other people are selfish to demand someone not doing what he/she feels like becoz' they will get hurt etc. why not person choosing death over life be allowed same freedom?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain

Sometimes no problem is needed. What about people who just don't want to live and are forced to live(eventhough they are healthy). Who do not find life holding any meaning at all...Isn't it selfish of people asking others to live forcefully? Just because they do not feel hurt they demand other people should not suicide. Imo that's selfish as well.

A person choosing death over life is selfless and not selfish. If other people are selfish to demand someone not doing what he/she feels like becoz' they will get hurt etc. why not person choosing death over life be allowed same freedom?

It's the very reason people like me are forced to live we turn into mini devils. Thanks to this reality I'm forced to exist in I really don't care who dies or suffers anymore because I just want blood everywhere. Just think of wonderful it would be if those suffering could be at peace if suicide was legal. Suicide in truth is just a way of freeing oneself from imprisonment .

So yes Suicide is 100% ok if you can find a way to do it fast, but be warned if you screw up Karma is a real pain in the ass.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hatred and Envy

Shouldn't the govt. provide assistance to people who wish to suicide?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

did this person feel this way since birth? I think not. It stands to reason that if this person ever felt happy, then happiness is attainable again. Simply not wanting to live anymore is just a cop out. Not tough enough to face life's challenges. Hell, they are fun if you can make them that way. Life is like a lot of things, you get out of it what you put into it.

Not demand, just hope. That person would have no idea how his/her death affects others. What about all the people in this world who need help. If a person was to just end their life without thinking about their potential impact on future society it's just selfish. Not selfless at all. That person would do good to find a group that he/she identifies with and needs help. the feeling of giving will make even the loneliest heart feel warm.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

It comes down to validating the act against INDEPENDANT and CREDIBLE moral,ethical and social standards etc. that are agreed to by concensus by all the parties involved!

If there is no concensus on the standards as regards to its independance and or credibility, then the act can not be validly and accurately judged by anyone!

I offer up the following cases for scrutiny by my fellow ATS members......

[PLS NOTE that this selection suffers COMPLETELY from me spinning it by cherry picking OK!]

Suicide victim No#1 [wiki] [Caution: contains GRAPHIC PICTURES!] [Note: Please don't click on it if you are squeemish or in any way disturbed by the issues raised in this thread OK!]

NONE of the following links contain any graphic images at all.

Suicide victim No#2 [wiki]

Suicide victim No#3 [wiki]

Suicide victim No#4 [wiki]

Suicide victim No#5 [wiki]

Suicide victim No#6 [wiki]

Suicide victim No#7 [wiki]

Personal Disclosure: So do my fellow ATS members think any of the above killed themselves for a valid reason?

P.S. Obviously, by posting that cheery picked selection, I DO think they had valid reasons for commiting the act of suicide!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
As has already been said, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I agree when it is said that suicide is the easy way out, there is usually another solution. In saying that, I would be lying if I said I had never thought of it. I think most people probably have.

If someone has really put thought into it, and has consciously decided that that is the best thing for them (regardless of their reasons), then who am I to argue?

I think the best way to prevent this sort of thing being overused is a waiting period, of say six months, and counseling, before someone can legally commit suicide. If someone really wants to enter the unknown eternity by their own decision, then six months is a short time, yes? Or they will have gotten over their problem and realised life isn't that bad

P.S. one of the first things I thought of was the suicide booths out of Futurama (and Bender using a penny tied to a string so he can reuse it).

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Very well said fren. but hear me out:

did this person feel this way since birth? I think not. It stands to reason that if this person ever felt happy, then happiness is attainable again. Simply not wanting to live anymore is just a cop out. Not tough enough to face life's challenges. Hell, they are fun if you can make them that way. Life is like a lot of things, you get out of it what you put into it.

What if a person feels he cannot attain the same happiness again ever? What if the person keeps trying and trying for number of years say like 8-10 yrs but instead of finding happiness grinds the same life again and again. It is practically impossible to bring same events again which brought happiness and if other events don't hold same meaning. Isn't that bad forcing someone to fake happiness all their life even when the person deep within themselves it is not possible but still laugh and show happiness in crowd just for other people.

Would it be worth living like this?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
It is ridiculous that we think we can judge rationale of others in something like this.
By its very nature suicide is a completely personal decision. What business is it of anyone else if you chose this?
I do rather agree about not jumping under a train and the like but our society tends to force people to use such methods. Lets make it ok for people to go buy some lethal drug and do away with themselves quietly.
Some real thought could go into this, maybe do it at the funeral home and save transport costs and some unfortunate person finding the body too.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Very well said fren. but hear me out:

What if a person feels he cannot attain the same happiness again ever? What if the person keeps trying and trying for number of years say like 8-10 yrs but instead of finding happiness grinds the same life again and again. It is practically impossible to bring same events again which brought happiness and if other events don't hold same meaning. Isn't that bad forcing someone to fake happiness all their life even when the person deep within themselves it is not possible but still laugh and show happiness in crowd just for other people.

Would it be worth living like this?

what has that person changed in their lives? Did they move to another city? Move to the mountains, the beach, the country, the city? I mean big change. I troubleshoot things for a living. When something is broke, there is a series of questions that need to be answered.What happened just before it broke? Was it working before without errors? How often does it break? Once you fix the immediate problem, if you are a person who follows through, you would then ask, what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

If a person is unhappy where they are they need to change their surroundings. If you look around at people. I mean stop, sit down and just watch them, it's amazing to see how many smiles there are. Some people are truly happy. I want to be that guy. I try to be that guy. Does it suck sometimes? hell yea. I have even entertained ideas like you are discussing. I think everyone has at some point. But amazingly, just after I felt like that, something happens that makes me smile, and I think how happy I am that I didn't miss out on that opportunity. Smile, it's contagious.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
My opinion!

Suicide preventative measures within our minds are a mechanism that evolved to keep the energy that went into matter creation from being wasted. It is a powerful near conscious tool of self preservation but the real question is was this tool created to save us from death or was it created to save those who created us from wasting their time and efforts?

Death is not a release I am sure of it because though death stops the flesh I have a feeling it frees the soul only from the body but not from the reality that is this subservient existence.

Take your own life and it is said that there are severe consequences, and I think that these consequences come in the form of a punishment reincarnation from those that own us, not god, not a loving intelligence but something highly manipulative rarely seen that owns us in all manners.

I am more and more of the opinion that to break the cycle of this existence will take a strong mind a mind that though horribly befuddled by the trauma of suddenly being without flesh has to decide quickly if it should head for the light or recede into the shadows.

Make the wrong choice and wake up to a meaty existence again mewling as a newborn.

Thoughts of suicide to me is like a safety valve for those times when life seems so hard, tinker with romantic thoughts of death and suddenly this life is put back into its rightful perspective again. The problem with making suicide so easy and legal is that many people who have suffered a trauma like rape, assault, and bereavement could take an impulsive knee jerk reaction and will end their life before they have taken the time to step back and think about the action they are taking because suicide was suddenly as easy as booking an appointment.

It does not matter so much as I see it if the act of suicide is regarded as selfishness because we all live our lives and our lives are our own. Therefore if someone tells you that to take your own life is a selfish act and those whom love you or care about you beg you to stay than really who is being selfish if all that a person aches for and yearns for is death?

Having come close to suicide in my past to the extent I have sucked introspectively on the biting end of an SA80, thumb taking up the second pressure and even ingested ground glass (ouch oh yes) I know a suicidal soul will not even listen to the argument of a suicide being argued as an act of selfishness.

A person taking the course of suicide see’s their act in the opposite and as an extremely pure act of altruistic love. The world, their loved ones and all they know would be a world better off without the one that suffers and ruins their day. It all becomes very simple, very black and white!

The best human friend I ever had the honour to know, he saved my life when we served together. He overdosed himself on heroin after leaving the army, another friend hanged himself, and another (an acquaintance) shot himself through the skull in Barker barracks, Paderborn with an SA80.

So, I have had close interactions with the minds of those who ached to self terminate – sadly I think they just ended up in a worse situation, doomed in the worst of groundhog days to repeat and pick a different solution to the thing that caused them to think death was preferable to just dealing with what life threw at them.

I am not a religious person at all (respects to those who are) but I think that suicide is not an escape, it is instead a ghastly choice that actually makes a situation much worse and if you take your life you should be prepared to “rinse and repeat” in some way, manner or form because I suspect that we are owned in the physical and the spiritual meaning of the word and to destroy yourself will bring down on you attentions you would rather not attract.

If I could say anything to a suicidal person today...

‘Please do not self terminate because you may end up regretting it without realising what it is you are regretting. You may even doom yourself to a vicious spiral of self loathing and thus you may risk a relentless pattern of suicide reincarnation after reincarnation.’

Of course I could just be talking out of my blast pipe, and I hope I am actually because after life among lovely humanity it would be nice to lose conscious thought, become one with a mote of dust and sink into a star.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Some beautiful thoughts there, and probably some truth. I still fail to see what it should not be an individual choice.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Chett

Thank you, I was not really meandering about the main subject though but rather why I think a person should not suicide themselves. I think it is self defeating action that is a postponement and not a resolution of a problem in life.

The last sentence caught my eye and before I knew it I was responding to it.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67
My opinion!
Thoughts of suicide to me is like a safety valve for those times when life seems so hard, tinker with romantic thoughts of death and suddenly this life is put back into its rightful perspective again. The problem with making suicide so easy and legal is that many people who have suffered a trauma like rape, assault, and bereavement could take an impulsive knee jerk reaction and will end their life before they have taken the time to step back and think about the action they are taking because suicide was suddenly as easy as booking an appointment.

It does not matter so much as I see it if the act of suicide is regarded as selfishness because we all live our lives and our lives are our own. Therefore if someone tells you that to take your own life is a selfish act and those whom love you or care about you beg you to stay than really who is being selfish if all that a person aches for and yearns for is death?
[edit on 12-1-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

Very well said
and I completely agree with this part of your post. Also sorry to hear about colleagues, frens. My heartfull sympathies. But again and BUT the rest of your post hint to possibility of reincarnation. This may not be religious but spiritual at some level so I'm somewhat skeptic on it.

Before you said it did not occur to me that people could also use it as knee jerk action, which is right.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by December_Rain]

[edit on 12-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

This thinking does cause a bit of confusion to me because I was brought up as a strict catholic I renounced my faith as a child and became very secular in my thinking. Perhaps my thinking is still influenced somewhat by this background? Some years I lean strongly toward atheistic thinking but others years I lean towards the spiritual and I even go through phases where I imagine a life where we are just meat and blood and once dead we are dead.

This thinking is a paradox as I have had a near death experience and it was so real to me.

The vista I witnessed was like nothing I could adequately describe other than to say that if my mind was playing tricks on me then the mind is a master of illusion. I try to remain sceptical on all things spiritual because I would hate to decide on a way of being and then find that the life I lived and the religious rules I followed had in effect suckered me into living a “restricted” life for nothing.

If suicide became legal in that it could be bought via a prescription through the doctor or even buying a death plan from the local chemist then I would imagine that if death could be prescribed in a guaranteed painless manner you will get all sorts of people buying this new product from jilted lovers to those going through a mid life crisis.

I might even consider it myself on a bad day if I am being brutally honest.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith

The suiciders I hate and I mean HATE, are the ones that jump infront of a train and hold everything up, they stop people getting home, and don't think of the driver of said train, no compassion from the suicider, just selfishness, no matter how bad their lives are they just want everyone else to suffer their misery.

[edit on 12/1/10 by DataWraith]

Couldn't agree with you more.

My mother was with her partner J for a little over 10 years. He had been on various anti dep pills since the 70's and was very badly medicated and I think he would never have recovered.

He used to obsess about suicide, plan it, buy things for 'it' like hose pipes, rope, knives etc... why he didn't just take all his pills I have no idea... I'm guessing it is because he didn't 'really' deep down want to die?

Anyway, the one thing he wanted was to marry my mother and the one thing she didn't want was to be married again [widowed in '88] last July 2009 he asked her a final time, "Is there ANY chance you will ever change your mind and marry me?" She said zero chance.

He said he was going out for a drive, drove to a level crossing, got out his car, walked to the crossing and calmly laid himself down as a train was approaching.

The driver had NO chance of stopping and said to the police it was the worst thing ever as J didn't jump in a mad rush panic.. he calmly walked out, looked at the driver and then lay down...

I found a forum by chance a few days later where several passengers on that train were cursing "The selfish f*cker who delayed their train home by over an hour" and felt I needed to apologise to them..... not sure why.

J was a highly intelligent, calm, educated man of 58 who at times simply lost his mind.

The police said he had 'equipment' in his car to attach to his exhaust so I guess it was the day for death.

having been a police officer I had on occasions described to J what a train suicide body looks like and why I think that type of suicide was the most selfish and loathsome... didn't stop him doing it and elaving me with images of what he must have looked like.

No people shouldn't be allowed to comit suicide willy nilly... sudden or drunken emotions soon fade and problems soonsolve.

But with someone like J I think if he had the option of entering a building and telling a medic "Look I have been trying to top myself since 1970's can you end this for me" then it would have been better for everyone involved.

But then does J's case constitute an incurable fatal illness? I guess it was in the end!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thank you for your links, does it not make more ground for Govt. to help people end their life in dignified way and away from public eyes?

You know I have a very close example and that is why I thought about this subject today. A very close fren. of mine I always see his eyes sad and it's been like that for 7-9 yrs. He has everything, wife, life, good job but you know how people say you can see thru eyes if a person is happy or sad. His eyes are always sad. He has never directly said he wants to die but you can tell. The fake laughter etc...sometimes he talks about that every day is so hard and it's exhausting fighting each and every day and he is tired. So he asks me why should not people be able to choose death over life instead of making them suffer each and every moment. He says nothing interests him anymore.

That brought me to think why people like him should be made to suffer..why not let them die peacefully, humanely. Why due to social fallacy people like him are forced to spend year upon year of indignation. Why does not the govt. help people like him out. So I thought of discussing this here. I will share with him what is said in this thread when we meet next time. Some people have given really good reasons.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join