It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jordan demands Dead Sea scrolls back from Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Jordan demands Dead Sea scrolls back from Israel

macedoniaonline.eu

Jordan has complained to the United Nations in a bid to acquire the Dead Sea Scrolls from Israel, saying the Jewish state seized the ancient texts during the 1967 Six-Day war, an official said on Monday.

"The kingdom has filed a complaint to UNESCO that the scrolls belong to Jordan," Rafea Harahsheh of the country's antiquities department said in a statement.

"The government has legal documents that prove Jordan owns the scrolls."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I believe these scrolls rightfully belong to Jordan because Jordan owned the Dead Sea at that time so I believe it is only fair that they be returned to Jordan. Israel seized these scrolls during the six day war when Jordan owned Palestine. But of course Israel will never return the scrolls because they believe everything is rightfully theirs.

macedoniaonline.eu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
All is fair in love and ..... war.

If every single country had to give back stuff taken in war then I'm sure you could fill a lifetime if one or two items was given per day.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
All is fair in love and ..... war.

If every single country had to give back stuff taken in war then I'm sure you could fill a lifetime if one or two items was given per day.

You should be employed to Dick Cheney.

2nd line penalty points here >__________

[edit on 11-1-2010 by solarstorm]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Just another brick on a weak piece of wood, under it we all stand.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Makes you wonder what's really on those scrolls that Jordan wants them back.

It's not like they can sell them once they have them, or would.

There must be some information on them that the Israelis are keeping from getting out, that Jordan wants to release but needs the scrolls to back up the source.

Could be big, very big!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Those scrolls must hold the key to the secret of life - over 40 years to realise something of such sentimental value has gone missing.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Nothing worthwhile is on the scrolls, its more of a cultural heritage item.

It would be like japan taking the clay soldiers from china during the course of ww2.

Nothing secretive about the clay soldiers but its a huge part of cultural heritage.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Well the first thing they would have done is copy them all, since it would be easier and safer to preserve the original documents.

So it's safe to assume Jordan has a complete copy of the Dead Sea Scrolls just that they are copies and not the original authentic ones.

So if after years of studying them they finally say stumbled accross something of great significance they have a little problem in proving it.

You can't prove a copy is the original source document. Ask people involved on the Obama Birth Certificate Issue about that.

If it is something that fundamentally challenges some widely held tenent or principle regarding religion, especially Judaism then they really need the original source document to prove it.

What ever it is will be something that fundamentally challenges one of the base, fundamental beliefs that all three religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam probably all share.

It could be something truly huge, as well as part of the New World Order conspiracy to debunk the beliefs of the three religions as a precursor to a One World Government and a One World Religion to go along with it.

Of course its too early to tell but this could develop into one of the biggest stories of all time!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I don't think it should matter if things are taken in war time, or in a time of peace. They should be returned to their rightful owners... just like many Egyptian antiquities are slowly being returned to Egypt. It's where they belong!

At the end of the day, it's the right/civil thing to do.

IRM

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Nothing worthwhile is on the scrolls, its more of a cultural heritage item.

It would be like japan taking the clay soldiers from china during the course of ww2.

Nothing secretive about the clay soldiers but its a huge part of cultural heritage.

I don't concur, and respectfully so. They are likely the oldest authentic religious document older than the oldest known Bible.

The would have information regarding Judaism that predates any other source.

Because it would predate by a significant margin any other known source it could very easily trump and prove something from the previously oldest source documents wrong, or incomplete.

That has huge ramifications because how are you going to disprove what they might contain with something written hundreds and hundreds of years later that didn't include the Dead Sea Scrolls as a source.

Information is the greatest source of power on this planet and considering 2/3rds of the planet worships in some fashion the G-d in these scrolls well...you do the math.

This could be more explosive than a nuclear bomb!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Shot in the dark here...but could this be the event to trigger Holy War in the ME? As in one big enough to ignite WW3?

Tbh I see this more as Jordan capitalising on Israel's bad image as of present. I could be wrong, but it just seems like this request is being done for political points if you know what I mean

--------------------

ProtoplasmicTraveler: wouldn't that be all the more reason to destroy them if they had such damaging information? Just playing DA (no, NOT District Attorney) here...

[edit on 12/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

In my humble opinion too many people get bogged down in simple left/right, West/East politics and miss the real conspiracies because of that trap and inability to think outside the box.

Yes not only will it discredit Judaism, but Christianity and maybe even Islam too.

Definately at the least Judaism, it's not about how the scrolls are obtained and the West/East politics of obtaining them.

It's about something on the scrolls. There is a reason they want them back and it goes just beyond trying to embarass Israel in its initial refusal to return them.

Think real conspiracy this is ATS!

[edit on 12/1/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Makes you wonder what's really on those scrolls that Jordan wants them back.

It's not like they can sell them once they have them, or would.

There must be some information on them that the Israelis are keeping from getting out, that Jordan wants to release but needs the scrolls to back up the source.

Could be big, very big!

Wouldn't you like to know what the Pope is hiding in the Vatican vaults?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Jordan must want to know where the gold and silver is hidden.

Being muslims i doubt they would really want a bunch of old Jewish writings.

Cave 3

Cave three was discovered on March 14, 1952.[13] The cave yielded 14 manuscripts including Jubilees and the curious Copper Scroll, which lists 67 hiding places, mostly underground, throughout the ancient Roman province of Judea (now Israel and Palestine). According to the scroll, the secret caches held astonishing amounts of gold, silver, copper, aromatics, and manuscripts.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Wholeheartedly agree with you. The problem is that many museums will refuse to cooperate, like many American and European museums deny the Egyptian request. Imagine all the Dutch masters that have been stolen during the second World War and ended up in Germany, the Soviet Union and America. In many cases, there's no chance of getting them back

Idealistically, every country should retrieve their antiquities and loaned for exhibitions. Obviously, that is never going to happen.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

In my humble opinion too many people get bogged down in simple left/right, West/East politics and miss the real conspiracies because of that trap and inability to think outside the box.

Agreed. But some of us also get bogged down in the simple Zionism/World debate.

Yes not only will it discredit Judaism, but Christianity and maybe even Islam too.

Definately at the least Judaism, it's not about how the scrolls are obtained and the West/East politics of obtaining them.

Sounds like you feel Judaism might have something to hide. What if this distraction to focus on this religion is apart of the real distraction? Perhaps the scrolls confirm that Jews represent the anti-Christ? Maybe the Protocols are written in a pre-draft version? Just using my imagination.

It's about something on the scrolls. There is a reason they want them back and it goes just beyond trying to embarass Israel in its initial refusal to return them.

Think real conspiracy this is ATS!

Well you have me intrigued! Any speculation about what might be on these scrolls? Maybe these scrolls are the "misplaced" Holy Grail? Maybe they hold evidence that challenge the core beliefs of the 3 Abrahamic religions?

Oh, and I was thinking more along the lines of using this as a reason to further demonise Israel in the Arab world and make the idea of an invasion more appealing. But hey, that's a stretch of the imagination too!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
So, let me get this right. Jordan demands documents that were found on territory Jordan illegally occupied after 1948. Excellent claim.
So British/French can claim Egyptian antics that Egyptian now have in their museums, after all they did occupy Egypt when some of them were found.
I understand if Palestinians would claim them, it was supposed to be their territory if not 1948 war. But Jordanians???

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
i look at it like this jordan lost them in a war why should victors give them back.
north won civil war did they give anything back to south maybe they helped rebuild but i guarantee any gold they seized stayed in north.. victors don't usually give spoils back . i know you all probably think i am wrong but just look at history victors keep what they take. are the documents of historical significance yes . i also believe they should belong to every one not just the jewish faith. i know that as middle east countries go jordan is very moderate i don't think they would try to destroy documents like might happen in syria or saudi arabia.

top topics

join