It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Challenge of same-sex marriage ban begins in Calif.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Challenge of same-sex marriage ban begins in Calif.

www.cbc.ca

A court case began in California on Monday marking the first federal trial in the U.S. in which a state ban on same-sex marriage is being challenged.

In 2008, opponents of gay marriage used a petition to force a referendum on whether gays should have the right to marry.

The Proposition 8 ban on same-sex marriage passed in November 2008 with 52 per cent support, over-ruling an earlier California Supreme Court decision that gays had the right to marry.

Two gay couples who haven't been allowed
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/1/11 by Magnum007]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This is a first for Federal Court. It is going to be very interesting how the American Bill of Rights will be put the the test.

Here in Canada it is clear in our Charter that there should be no discrimination in any way whatsoever therefore making same sex marriage legal. I wonder how our neighbors to the south will deal with this...

Here's the BBC news page
US gay marriage ban challenged in federal court BBC News

Peace,

Magnum

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/1/11 by Magnum007]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I find it most interesting that this is still going on. The people voted, does the court have a right to change this, instantly invalidating the vote of the majority of the people ? I find this whole process bizarre.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

i hope the ban gets overturned, im a straight person but denying a couple that loves eachother the right to marry is wrong everybody has a right to be happy, and hey you want to have gay people stop having sex let them get married

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

This is exactly why I posted this. I am wondering what arguments they used to get the case back in court. I know people will be "flaming" (pun intended) the issue, but if it gets answers to come out (not pun intended again), then perfect!!

Peace,

Magnum

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by truth_of_truth

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Good one there!

Well I don't think that it will stop anything, they come here to get married anyway (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

Peace,

Magnum

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I find it most interesting that this is still going on. The people voted, does the court have a right to change this, instantly invalidating the vote of the majority of the people ? I find this whole process bizarre.

If a law is unconstitutional (against either the state or national Constitution), then the court has a right (and duty) to overturn it, even if the people voted for it.

I haven't followed this enough to know what the exact legal challenge is, but the answer is yes, in certain cases the court has this right.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Well, this is on going and will continue I figure for the next 50 years.

America isn't ready for this type of progress I guess. Too many states and laws and politicians are ruled by their religious dogma.

I certainly am happy in Canada that the government decided it wasn't any of their business, America should do the same.

Mind you the only reason this hasn't been resolved is because people are making MILLIONS of dollars on both sides of the aisle.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reminds me of that seinfeld show when a reporter thinks jerry and george are gay (not there anything wrong with that) but on a serious note why is that the die hard right are so against gay marriage but are the ones caught having sex with men or trying pay men (in the bathroom in minnesota) or sending texts

[edit on 11-1-2010 by truth_of_truth]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

That was my intention (the Seinfeld reference)... BTW there are many Catholic priests who have the same kind of explaining to do...

Peace,

Magnum

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
i'm all for gay marriage and don't believe that most who oppose it are anything but homophobic bigots.

as far as i'm aware marriage isn't a patented institution that anyone actually owns so how the religious factions get to claim it as solely their own baffles me.

over here, (nz), marriage between gay couples is legally termed a 'civil union'. these unions afford the couples the same rights and obligations as male/female unions or marriages.

if californians don't allow gay marriages ... are gay couples afforded the same rights as married couples? is there a way they can officially register themselves as a couple to be afforded the rights of the married? are there ceremonies they can participate in to announce or celebrate their legal unions?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I don't think this really is a right vs. left thing. It seems to me even if the court decides the ban is constitutional, this won't be going away.

edit....And here I thought this was gonna be an adult conversation, and yet the childishness begins.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by adifferentbreed]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

true but the ones who stand firm against it our caught sometimes doing the things they so strongly oppose

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ll__raine__ll

Yes civil unions are allowed, yes, you can have any type of ceremony......the term marriage is what is coming into question.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Shouldn't it be "some" who stand firm about it? I'm sure the ones caught are not the only ones and that their are homosexuals on both side of the aisle.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by ll__raine__ll

Yes civil unions are allowed, yes, you can have any type of ceremony......the term marriage is what is coming into question.

Yup and that's the problem. It should NOT be about the term, it should be about the rights included.

As a gay man I am really dissapointed in the Gay Community for refusing the compromise on this issue. My god it doesn't have to be called marriage, all we are looking for are the same rights afforded to married couples.

And furthermore it would be in the interest of the government since married couples pay more taxes.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

no one should stand in the way of two people who love eachother from gettin married

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
A friend and I were discussing this very thing today. With the voter turnout at over 79% and the Proposition passing with over 52% of the vote, I'd say the people have spoken. Personally, I couldn't care less about same sex marriage. But, as I've heard so many times about the Obama victory, "The voters have decided. Get over it".

I think, with the volatility of the current political arena, it would be a very bad idea for the court to overturn the will of the people.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I have been out for lets see, 1972. Or, lets see, my first experience in like 1967, and this is like still an freakin issue. And you know what, I don't care whether marriage for gays is legal or not. Now, here is Oregon it is a civil union, that is fine with me. My niece just got married (civil union) here, and she is happier than a pea in its pod! Even though that is the last thing I thought she would be doing, kinda through me off my rails for a second. And honestly, as long as we have the civil right to go see the one we hold dearest to our heart in the hospital, or where ever we cannot go to see that person legally is all that matters to me. It is so disheartening though to see this still happening with us and the racism that still goes on in this world, yes, we are still very primative, well, not me, and millions of others, but the majority of humans on this earth still fighting about all this only because of the bible. For shame for shame. We are all humans fighting this evil battle that is just a continuous loop, over and over and over. Divide and conquer, divide and conquer. Goodness gracious, just get over it and accept that we are here and queer. And all queer means is strange, different. At least we aren't contributing to the overpopulation.
And honestly, there is no overpopulation, the illuminati just can't control over 7 billion people. Awww.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this into the maze of this gay issue that I just roll my eyes when it continues after all these years, it is time to stop, but it will go on, guaranteed, unless we get out of this time loop we are stuck in. History just keeps repeating itself. Wish I could go back from the beginning and check it out, and I guarantee, it has been happening since the beginning of humanity, all because someone said it wasn't right and needed to replinish the earth. How much replinishing do we need? Jeeze!

Thanks for posting this, I've been wanting to say something for a long time and just keep it to myself. But, at least I finally said "my" peace.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

thanks for your answer.

for the first time in history i may be changing views on one of my very passionately held positions.

let me get it right though ... gay couples are allowed to marry in california. it's just not legally called "marriage". (what is it called btw?) and gay couples who marry are afforded all the rights of traditionally married couples?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join