It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Probe Cadmium in Kids' Jewelry From China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Let's remember..... I can recall contaminated foods, contaminated pet food, toys. It's very disturbing to me, as this is [in some cases] very high cadmium content in cheap kids' jewelry.

LOS ANGELES — Moving swiftly, U.S. product safety authorities say they are launching an investigation into the presence of the toxic metal cadmium in children's jewelry imported from China after disclosure of lab tests showing that some pieces consisted primarily of the dangerous substance.
Source

The most contaminated piece analyzed in lab testing performed for the AP contained a startling 91 percent cadmium by weight. The cadmium content of other contaminated trinkets, all purchased at national and regional chains or franchises, tested at 89 percent, 86 percent and 84 percent by weight. The testing also showed that some items easily shed the heavy metal, raising additional concerns about the levels of exposure to children.

Cadmium is a known carcinogen. Like lead, it can hinder brain development in the very young, according to recent research. Children don't have to swallow an item to be exposed — they can get persistent, low-level doses by regularly sucking or biting jewelry with a high cadmium content.

Okay, so what's the problem, you may ask.......... just don't give this jewelry to kids not old enough to be past the "sucking and biting" stage. [remember, we're talking about jewelry here]. HOWEVER,

The testing also showed that some items easily shed the heavy metal, raising additional concerns about the levels of exposure to children.

Some items easily shed the heavy metal..... shed onto hands that held it, touched the jewelry, hands with fingers that touch food, might be in mouths, etc.

Which jewelry?

Some of the most troubling test results were for bracelet charms sold at Walmart, at the jewelry chain Claire's and at a dollar store.

High amounts of cadmium also were detected in "The Princess and The Frog" movie-themed pendants.

Three flip flop bracelet charms sold at Walmart contained between 84 and 86 percent cadmium.

Four charms from two "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" bracelets sold at a Dollar N More store in Rochester, N.Y., were measured at between 82 and 91 percent cadmium.

I don't intend this thread to villify China, nor its people. I myself have chosen to not purchase foods or pet food made in China. In general, I've become very wary of almost all foods, even those that appear to be innocent "fresh" vegetables and fruit. Frankenfoods, though, require another thread, and has been mentioned here many times before.

Just want to send out the alert for these particular goods, as our children really don't need any additional environmental poisons.

Cadmium toxicity

OSHA - Cadmium/PELs

AP link to story, in case the Fox one is off-putting

Be safe!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
We need to quit buying from China, final, no ifs ands or buts.

Did you mention the drywall, I think you missed that.

Someone here has a very extensive thread on the drywall debacle. Quite informative.

Now, guess what is the biggest thing about the problems with products from there. Someone gets injured, lose your home or whatever, you will not be able to take them to court.

Welcome to China's export dumping ground. How can we compete with a country that puts poisons in their products.

I started appx 6 years ago looking again at the made in label. Maybe the rest of us in the rest of the world should do the same.

China has become the leading exporter to the world. Maybe the consumers of the world should change that?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Something I have wondered is if it is done on purpose to try to dumb down our population further than it is already?
Not just to dumb us down, but to make us sickly, weak and unable to resist.

Seriously, lead, cadmium; antimony in Zhu Zhu pets, where does it stop?

You got to ask is it really to make toys as cheaply as possible, is it greed, or is there a diabolical plan afoot?

It almost seems dumb not to think that.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Cadmium is toxic at high levels. China for some reason imports a lot of iron ore and steel and a lot of their products made from iron ore and steel also have higher amounts of cadmium added than maybe would be allowed in the West. This would include Western patented products that they produce under license. The products may be identical and very well made but the steel they are made out of will have more cadmium in them.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Thank you! I forgot the drywall issue -- one that has surfaced where I live. Most of what is here is the good ol' "green-top" mud. Two homes that I know of imported their building materials from the U.S. and were sent the nasty stuff. Fortunately, the homeowners were aware; regrettfully, the contractor had to eat it, but better than having their wiring corroded, as well as potential health issues.

As I said, I don't want to villify the people themselves, however many of the products exported from China seem SO consistently nasty as to infer purpose, at least to me. It seems beyond accident.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

Agree Toadmund. The plasticene products in pet food could possibly have been a by-product of poorly controlled processing, but when contaminants are introduced into a process that aren't inherent TO the process, it certainly makes me question if there is intent. I think there is; The only thing that gives me pause is I can't imagine why China would choose to intentionally contaminate goods that are sold ultimately to their biggest importer. Bad business.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

In the cadmium case, it might be a substitution effect. Much of this kind of cheap, kidlike jewelry apparently used to be made with lead. That lead content was identified and standards were set in the U.S. and other countries for PELs and maximum levels allowable.

According to the OP link, (or at least my interpretation of it), cadmium was substituted, rather than the preferred zinc. Perhaps there is a glut of cadmium, and perhaps it isn't known within the plants that cadmium has an inherent danger. I kind of doubt it (not known), but perhaps it is allowable within their own legislation. I attempted to research whatever is the analogue to their EPA, and came up with just more links to recalled Chinese goods.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The other thing is that they might use more molybdenum than the West than may be allowed and it is also toxic. Mountfield mowers, Fender guitars, anything done under license will have these characteristics and the problem will not end there, as this stuff will eventually be recycled somewhere else, it's a big issue.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

It is exactly that, the production standards are different, and also manufactured waste into China's own waters. But Western governments should have had more foresight in allowing individual firm's patent licenses out to other places without a some sort of monitoring of the actual production.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Good point. Interesting, isn't it, that elements that we absolutely require in trace amounts, such as molybdenum and boron, are so toxic in greater amounts.

Same goes for plants.

The number of imports into the U.S. alone are staggaring. The standards exist to protect the citizens, just not the testing and enforcement. Much of this requires XRD or atomic absorbtion analysis to even quantify. 15 years ago, when my work required use of an analytical lab for such testing, AA samples cost upward of USD $400.00. EACH.

That's the sort of thing that makes me want various countries to return to a time when they were in a Buy-____________ (insert country) mode. Places like where I live don't have much in the way of industry, however I don't really think we need nearly as much disposable crap as we seem to think. Perhaps that's true of most nations.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This is DEF not the firdt time china is manufacturing and exporting toys with toxic and carrcinogenic stuff.. The question is...how is it finding its way into childrens toys, and why speficially made n sent to USA contaminated? are the china ones also contaminated?
How does it end up in thier? i mean, plastic is one thing, metal is another, and craccinogens are another...its starting to sound like over in china, they just mix everything together n make useless things outta it all.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

That's a very insightful and interesting question, Ziggy: Are these same contaminated toys being marketed within China in the same form as their exports? I don't know enough about the culture and/or QC in China to even guess.

Okay, I'll guess anyway. I'd guess that these toys are geared toward western culture, and not so popular in China. Purely a guess. It'd be interesting to have more info on that.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Maybe the TV will come out and tell us that Cadmium is good for us - like with mercury.

That TV, it's been saying some stupid crap lately.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Maybe the TV will come out and tell us that Cadmium is good for us - like with mercury.

That TV, it's been saying some stupid crap lately.

Probably so! And..... it will be introduced first in the online fringe medical sites, maybe as anhydrous cadmium chloride, and it will cure several nebulous conditions, all of which will be detailed in a new E-book for only $9.99.

My TV does the same thing. I gave it a time-out, but that didn't help.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Haha, Monaotomic Cadmium.... I can see it now.

"Helps fight cancer and elevates spiritual awareness, stimulating the three primary chakras" they'll say.

Oh man. People would buy that.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Mysterious Radioactive Cheese Grater

www.wxyz.com...

Radioactive device lost in NW China city
en.ce.cn...

other radioactive items.
unhypnotize.com...
thisbluemarble.com...
www.bellona.org...

join