It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010's Coolest Concept Cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Reading a back issue of ZOO the other day(awsome mag
) and found this list of the best concept cars for this year, just thought I'd share.

AUDI E-TRON

AUDI E-TRON INTERIOR
Forget all that hybrid nonsense, this baby, based on the existing R8 model, is pure electric. With 4 motors-2 each at the front and rear axles-it combines with Audi's famous quattro all-wheel-drive system. Lithium-ion batteries that reduce bulk and pump up performance. 230kW of power, 4500Nm of torque and 0-100kmh in 4.8 seconds. Extras: Navigation technology that identifies spare parking spots in car parks and controls operated by a touchscreen on the steering wheel.

NEBULA

Its cartoonish dimensions aren't just impractical flights of fancy:the elongated nose houses the luggage trunk and fuel cells sit behind the driver's seat, cooled by vents in the hood. The giant wheels also reduce vibrations and improve fuel efficiency. Extras: Notice something missing? Like a windscreen? Don;t worry. Cameras film the view ahead and project it onto a virtual windscreen.

RENAULT TWIZY Z.E.

While admittedly not the manliest looking vehicle this 2.3m-long car is made to free up space in gridlocked cities, with the carbon footprint of a deer's sneeze. The roof converts solar energy to power the A/C unit and the cabin can change its tone of lighting to match the driver's clothes. Extras: Tail-lights can create "smileys" to send messages to other road users.

APTERA 2E

Stats at this stage are still sketchy, but expect it to be all-electric and greener then a naked Kermit. Extras: 3 wheeled and very aerodynamic. Those wierd things covering the wheels are called wheel pants.

CITROEN REVOLTE

CITROEN REVOLT EXTERIOR
Designed solely to be womens car this car still looks freakin insane and rocks some nifty feature such as center mounted single front seat for the driver and solar cells in the roof that feed on board controls. Extras: Normal back passenger seats? Not here. The Revolte has a comfy mini-sofa, instead.

PEUGEOT RC HYBRID4

This electric/petrol hybrid technology combines for a total power output of around 230kW-Thats positively insane for a hybrid. Also possibly one of the better looking rides. Extras: The eco-friendly RC HYbrid4 clocks up a super frugal 3.79 litres per 100km.

RENAULT ZOE Z.E.

The ZOE Z.E. is covered in a special polyurethane gel that protects it from minor knocks, and its 70kW electric motor is good for around 130km. Extras: Has a futuristic "hydrate, detox and scent" climate control.

MAZDA KIYORA

Not only does the Kiyora have a hot-off-the-production-line donk (a low emission, direct injection petrol engine), Mazda's latest concept also flaunts a Sky-Drive automatic transmission, designed to improve fuel economy. Extras: The Kiyora will be packed with innovative functions that "support a youthful lifestyle". Dash mounted PS3s anyone?

Well that's about it, these are some of the coolest cars I've ever seen and it's good to see the future looks so...futuristic? Lol, I wonder how many of these will actually make it to the mainstream.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by Occy Anonymous]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
There are a few of these cars I would not be seen owning, but they are all cool for concept cars! Sorry but your last link is not working. Thanks for posting these!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Yeahaha, but who knows maybe in the future it'll be the norm.

Thanks for telling us about the link, I think it's fixed now.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Occy Anonymous

THIS is a cool concept car, nothing like car with skin:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by countercounterculture

That is a ridiculous sweet ride. Maaan, when are we gonna finally see these cars out on the road.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Thank you for your interesting thread, Occy Anonymous

Here's one of my favourite "new age" concept cars:

The BMW Vision

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d82408bb247.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76b37dd4beb5.jpg[/atsimg]

www.bmw.com.au...

A lithium-polymer battery pack and two motors push the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics all the way to 155mph.

For those not quite lucky enough to make it to Frankfurt to witness BMW’s new Vision EfficientDynamics concept exposed for the first time, BMW yanked off the cover yet again for an audience at the LA Auto Show on Wednesday.

The ferocious-looking hybrid combines sportscar styling with electric underpinnings to deliver 62 miles per gallon, and a zero to 62 time of 4.8 seconds.

Unlike similar electric vehicles that use lithium-ion or nickel-metal-hydride battery packs, the Vision uses a lithium-polymer battery pack – the same type used in ultrathin laptops like Apple’s MacBook Air. The pack pumps power to a dual front and back electric motors which put down a combined 356 horsepower – enough to push the Vision all the way to 155 mph.

www.digitaltrends.com...

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Wow, each car brought forward is even sweeter then the next, hahaha just before I read the stats my first thought was looks like an Apple Mac lol.

But nice one, seems to be the most powerful car on this page and definitely didn't sacrifice looks. Bugger trying to take it over speed bumps though lol.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
sweet cars i just hope that soon they come out with flying cars, weren't they suppose to be out by now?

anyway i wouldn't mind owning one of those concept bmw's they look sexy.

any year now and we will be seeing these bad boys on the street

Pajjikor out

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I am a Nissan fan.
Check out the PIVO 2, ugly looking but looks like a smart car for the city.
www.nissan-global.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Only one comment.....

THAT BMW IS SOOOOOO SWEET!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

LOL, it reminds me of the ending of that Jet Li movie "the One" where he gets transported to the perfect world. It does seem like a hugely efficient car but human ego would never let it take off.

Pretty sweet on a golfcourse though

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

Thank you for your interesting thread, Occy Anonymous

Here's one of my favourite "new age" concept cars:

The BMW Vision

My personal favorite new age concept car is HANDS DOWN the 'Tesla Roadster' ... Even their Sedan is badass!

[edit on 14-1-2010 by jephers0n]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jephers0n

G'day jephers0n

Here's my new favourite new-age car:

The Hammerhead Eagle 1 Thrust!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f320cf261805.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

On second thoughts, maybe I like this one better.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09744d35ca76.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

On second thoughts, maybe I like this one better.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09744d35ca76.jpg[/atsimg]

Holy crap! How'd you find that picture of my car??

and where was the picture taken? I've misplaced my beauty!!

but I still stand by the tesla... especially the sedan... once they bring it out for the public

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Thank you for this upbeat topic..

Personally I am waiting for the Toyota Fully Electric vehicle. I know they already have it it's just a matter of waiting for enough buyers to bring it to the US.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I'll go with the Audi Snook, the concept is already two years old but I still love the idea!

The multidirectional engine consists of a sphere-wheel and enables the driver to intuitively navigate and steer the autostabilized cabin in every direction, including on the side and backwards, as well as to turn on a point.

Beside a completely new driving experience, this creates a variety of new maneuvers, that offer driving fun as well as satisfying the needs of future urban mobility.

Link

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Anyone posting car threads gets an automatic flag from me. Some of the examples aren't bad, but the best looking is the Renault...even though it looks like nothing they'd make. The Audi's cool although the designers have hardly pushed the envelope...it looks like the TT and the aerodynamics look suspect. The Nebula's just a fantasy BS machine. Looks comic-book and what's under the looooooooong hood?!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Nice one for reminding me about that Top Gear episode with Hammerhead Eagle 1 Thrust! Great show. IIRC it was powered by a bank of four batteries and broke down in London, causing a tailback

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

G'day again jephers0n

I agree.....

That Tesla is a very interesting car.

On the one hand, I don't believe it's ready for the market yet. It's too unreliable & too expensive.

On the other hand, I admire Elon Musk for all that he is doing, to push this "technology envelope".

Here is one I really like....

The brand new production version of the Honda CRZ hybrid sports coupe as just launched at the Detroit Motor Show. It's not "performance car quick", but it does put some "fun" into this hybrid thing.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/177f1df0eecc.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4537dff2549f.jpg[/atsimg]

It's origins can be found in one of my all time favourite concept cars - the sports hybrid Honda Spocket from the 2000 Tokyo Motor Show:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/042b97261c56.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0535cc71431e.jpg[/atsimg]

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

new topics

top topics

join