It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yawning: An Ironic Way to Beat The Powers That Be??

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

Freud was a materialistic genius. I piss on his genius though.. Its selfish and promotes a disconnect from your fellow man and nature..

Jung or William James blow him out of the water with there ability to connect modern views with archaic symbolism and metaphor. IE - True genius (spiritual/material)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LessThan3YearsLeft

Not much scientific analysis but do you know anyone on SSRI's (Prozac, Effexor, Paxil). Ask them or head over to Erowid and you will find that its much harder to "trip" on recreational tryptamines while under the influence of SSRI antidepressants. Some hospitals use Paxil as way to terminate an '___' trip in patients.

What does this mean to dreaming? Well '___' being a tryptamine will also be affected, therefore your ability to sort out or orchestrate the days events will be diminished.

Some psychiatrists even call Paxil a "Dream Suppresant". Now in our materialistic world this is a boon to a depressed patient.. Without the aid of a higher self or composer he will now rely on the therapist to break apart his days events and align them with a trajectory better suited to materialistic gains then the spiritual ones his pineal gland were confusing said patient with..

A sad life..

I totally agree with what you've said. Both SSRIs, as well as cognitive-behavioral type therapies, are nothing more than band-aids to get the depressed and anxious back to the assembly lines of our consumerist automatonic lives.

I believe real psychotherapy has the potential to be as liberating, enlightening, and spiritually enhancing as any trip. In fact, I'm sure you've seen the research of MDMA enhancing the efficacy of psychotherapy when used judiciously.

Unfortunately, HMOs are not interested in helping people to live fuller more enlightened lives. Big Pharma and the rest of our corporatist overlords have a distinct agenda for preventing and discouraging real growth. Yes, sad lives most of us live, indeed.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Freud was a materialistic genius. I piss on his genius though.. Its selfish and promotes a disconnect from your fellow man and nature..

Jung or William James blow him out of the water with there ability to connect modern views with archaic symbolism and metaphor. IE - True genius (spiritual/material)

I understand why you like Jung. He was definitely a genius. However, it was Freud's theories upon which he built his own. I think Freud gets a bad rap. He was forging a brand new and controversial field, so I think much of his arrogance and bravado was intentional in order for the field of psychology to get into the collective conscious. Also, much of Freud's work was reflective of the Victorian environment in which his patients lived, naturally.

For the time periods in which both Freud and Jung were operating, I think it is amazing that they were able to theorize with such creativity, while maintaining a reason based approach.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Im familiar with the great succeses of MDMA in the 70's but this is peanuts to the group healing that would've occurred in a tribal setting under the influence of one of the many tryptamines or phenalthymines littering the globe.

Its the whole forbidden fruit aspect of our psyche.. In the beginning we were small nomadic groups and it was beneficial for the shaman to share his medicines and wisdom unfiltered and truthfully with the tribe.. Its beneficial for the shaman if every member in a tight knit group is operating at full physical and spiritual capacity..

As we moved into cities and the jobs became more mundane (yet ultimately required for the city to progress and for us to evolve technologically) the shamans (now priests) realized its not beneficial for everyone to have access to the spiritual fruits of the earth.. A man with a spiritual hole will always be looking for something to fill that hole.. This will provide the impetus for man to climb the pyramidal ladder to nowhere and this impetus will provide the means for society to progress materialistically..

So that's where we are now.. Paxil comes in a bottle with a skull and crossbones in Canada and every single mass murder incident (columbine, Georgia tech, the one in Germany, the beheading on the greyhound bus) all occurred with people who were on anti-depressants..

But that's a legal drug..

Those illegal ones promote peace and connectivity with your fellow man..

Makes sense in the context of "Ive got a hole in my soul driving me to go"

Peace

[edit on 11-1-2010 by LessThan3YearsLeft]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jondavidhasheart
honestly this post just changed my life haha
for the past two years i've been out of college because i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life. i love researching things such as consciousness and current + ancient cultures, the truths of our existance etc
but i couldnt think of a conventional job that i could enjoy for the rest of my life and have been avoiding the school since then

well.. i yawned. haha
i yawned alot reading this post actually
and i dont know why i didnt realize it before

i want to be a college professor!
and i want to teach Spirituality and the Nature of Consciousness
professing upon how countless cultures have tried to identify/define themselves including meditation, group mantras, psychedelics, art, quantum mechanics, materialism, deistic idols, etc
while also discussing how the internal realm demands just as much attention as the external realm.

ive realized i am willing to do whatever it takes to make this happen.
thank you for this realization. S & F!

That's really awesome! I'm glad to have played a part in what sounds like a real epiphany! Good luck pursuing your path. Where had you been going to school before taking some time off?

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It was Freud's theories that he built his understanding of the material world on... Just as myself or anyone this world can study his work and regurgitate his facts..

Jung took it a step further by finding abstract relationships between seemingly unconnected things/events. In his materialistic one foot in front of the other world that is a great achievement for someone that doesn't take psychedelics..

William James on the other hand.. His research had a lot more to do with his own mystical experiences while in altered states.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

"Big Pharma and the rest of our corporatist overlords have a distinct agenda for preventing and discouraging real growth."
-----------------------------

I completely disagree with you there.. Big pharma is run by people.. Corporate overlords are people. They are pushing SSRI's and harping on Psychedelic therapy out of an ingrain fear of "Drugs" leftover from the forbidden fruit aspect of our psyche.. They care about people and want to make the world a better place and hey if they get stinky rich in the process... all the better!!
This is where the phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" came from.

Now I wouldn't feel the same way about a big pharma exec if I knew he has had a spiritual "trip". You cant fault the ignorant, but you can fault him..

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

It was Freud's theories that he built his understanding of the material world on... Just as myself or anyone this world can study his work and regurgitate his facts..

Jung took it a step further by finding abstract relationships between seemingly unconnected things/events. In his materialistic one foot in front of the other world that is a great achievement for someone that doesn't take psychedelics..

William James on the other hand.. His research had a lot more to do with his own mystical experiences while in altered states.

For sure, but it is well documented that Jung had bouts of actual psychosis, which helped him to formulate his theories when he became more balanced. In a sense, tripping is just a artificially induced state (not to minimize the hell of schizophrenia, extreme mania, etc., etc.), which Jung didn't need to partake, thanks to his own breaks from reality.

It seems you find the material world rather base, but it is a big part of our reality. I think it is healthy to have one foot on shore, per se, and one in the dark oceanic jungian abyss. That doesn't mean one can't go for a deep swim from time to time, but humans are land based creatures....

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I find our materialistic society kind of "base".. Dont confuse having your foot on the ocean with having your foot in line at the DMV..

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

"Big Pharma and the rest of our corporatist overlords have a distinct agenda for preventing and discouraging real growth."
-----------------------------

I completely disagree with you there.. Big pharma is run by people.. Corporate overlords are people. They are pushing SSRI's and harping on Psychedelic therapy out of an ingrain fear of "Drugs" leftover from the forbidden fruit aspect of our psyche.. They care about people and want to make the world a better place and hey if they get stinky rich in the process... all the better!!
This is where the phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" came from.

Now I wouldn't feel the same way about a big pharma exec if I knew he has had a spiritual "trip". You cant fault the ignorant, but you can fault him..

Well, that's also from where the concept of 'diffusion of responsibility' comes. Sure many of the researchers and other employees of big pharma have good intentions, but there are also surely hundreds, if not thousands, who could become quite the whistle-blower if they would put ethics first.

Check out the case of the birth control 'yasmin.'

www.drug-injury.com...

Do you think Bayer cared more for the welfare of the women taking this unnecessary drug, or for the bottom line?? The fact that the advertising agency is fire-walled from the scientists is part of the intentional profit-driven machine. It is a cold calculated decision that Bayer made knowing that they would lose money to lawsuits, yet it would still be a profitable endeavor overall.

Meanwhile, the chamber of commerce, funded by the likes of Bayer, is about to start a propaganda campaign at the movie theater making it look like people who sue Big pharma are the ones to blame for the f'd-up health care system in America.

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/11/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LessThan3YearsLeft

Here's a thread on yasmin from ATS that I found if anyone else is interested (any woman, or anyone with a loved one, who takes this poison should ABSOLUTELY be VERY interested)!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/11/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This is interesting because I have always competed in high level sports and before my competitions I would always find myself yawning. I didn't know why. I was trying to amp myself up for the race or game and I was still yawning. But It actually calmed me down and allowed me to really focus on the task at hand. This amazing research you have found is awesome, but it doesn't really surprise me

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This is interesting because I have always competed in high level sports and before my competitions I would always find myself yawning. I didn't know why. I was trying to amp myself up for the race or game and I was still yawning. But It actually calmed me down and allowed me to really focus on the task at hand. This amazing research you have found is awesome, but it doesn't really surprise me

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Interesting information. I think we all have pondered what is behind yawning at one point or another, and most of us were told it had to do with being tired. Quite the opposite. Yawning is just a reaction from the body when breathing is not introducing enough oxygen to the brain. A yawn therefore causes one to take in more air and hopefully more oxygen.

The information posted in the OP is new to me, and I'm glad I got a chance to read it. I wonder though if too much yawning could be damaging, especially if done in some sort of session...? For example, I'm meditating, and get into some sort of yawning session and now maybe I cannot stop, or something like that. I know I've had times when I've had trouble stopping yawning, imagine if you induced something like this and couldn't stop! That would suck!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal

Interesting information. I think we all have pondered what is behind yawning at one point or another, and most of us were told it had to do with being tired. Quite the opposite. Yawning is just a reaction from the body when breathing is not introducing enough oxygen to the brain. A yawn therefore causes one to take in more air and hopefully more oxygen.

The information posted in the OP is new to me, and I'm glad I got a chance to read it. I wonder though if too much yawning could be damaging, especially if done in some sort of session...? For example, I'm meditating, and get into some sort of yawning session and now maybe I cannot stop, or something like that. I know I've had times when I've had trouble stopping yawning, imagine if you induced something like this and couldn't stop! That would suck!

Yeah, for sure. Have you seen those stories about the girl who couldn't stop hiccuping, and the one who couldn't stop sneezing? Messed up. I think the sneezing compulsion is thought to be the result of a viral infection triggering a form of OCD. The mind is nuts, no?

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Awesome information and thread, thank you OP.

So maybe this is why i can't stop yawning ever since i first saw zeitgeist...

So if the whole world starts yawning more and more, are we synching up with each other faster and faster?

Star and Flag.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
i love it...

thanks for this enlightening information... i totally yawned every minute while reading!!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

That is so interesting! I never knew yawning could be so important. Interesting about them being contagious as well. I always got annoyed when I yawned at work and someone would say 'stop, you'll make me yawn'. Guess they were right, eh?

The entire time I read the post I believe that I yawned about thirty times. Seriously.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I remember when I would have friends over, or If I was staying with them for the night, they would always tease me about yawning when we were at the point in the morning where we were about to pass out after a night filled of halo or whatever else.

I still do it to this day. Whenever I am laying in bed trying to get to sleep, I break out into a yawn fest, and my eyes water to the point of tears. Some nights it will go on for a good 5 to 10 minutes. Others might be sort of like a sneezing fit, get 5 or 6 out, and its pretty much over. I can't say I feel any different when I do it though, but I could see cooling the brain off, since I essentially turn into a vacuum when I yawn.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I started reading this article but kept falling asleep. just managed to keep wake long enough to get this post in and therefore I ....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join