It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Has a Dream...Man Buys 700 Lottery Tickets Using Same Number...Man Wins $3.5mil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
1)..Story
2)..Links to official article(s)
3)..My Opinion

1)For anybody who is interested in dreams, psychics, the lottery, the paranormal or just plain dumb luck, this story is for you.

Back in the last month of 09, a man who lived in New Jersey named William Harvey had a dream. He had a dream about his mother who had died, and because of this he decided to play the lottery.

Now, when he played the lottery (a game which uses four numbers to win) he used his mother's birthday, which was 2912. No big deal right? Well to him this was a big deal. It was such a big deal he actually bought 700 tickets with the same number on them!

Yup you read it right, this guy bought 700 lottery tickets with the same number on them because he had a dream about his mother. Sounds crazy doesn't it?

Well, to make this story even crazier, the guy won. He won 5000 dollars for each ticket he played, totaling up to 3.5 million dollars.

www.nylottery.org...

and here :

lotterywinnerbios.blogspot.com...
------------------------------------------

3) I for one, am pretty much speechless. I mean even if the guy bought one ticket, it would have been interesting at least, but the fact that the guy seriously bought 700 tickets and won the lottery because he had a dream about his mother really makes you think. I mean, of course it could be luck. I do not know the background of this guy, or what he is into or how he plays the lottery normally. All I know is, given the facts from what I have read, this is pretty amazing.

The thing that gets me, is that they didn't say what his dream was about. I would love to know what his dream was about aside from just the fact it was his mother. Did she give him any advice? Did she tell him to play the lottery? Did she (her ghost if you believe in that) rig the lottery for him to win? Or was it simply just a guy with good luck?

What do you guys think?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I think its pretty cool, and wished I remembered my dreams more often. Who knows what relative is trying to help me win the lottery, and I just cant remember it.

Good for him though. If your gut is telling you something you cant ignore, listen to it. I like to see the little guy hit a lucky break now and then.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Very cool story.

With 6-point-whatever billion of us sloshing around on this planet and doing a myriad things every day, coincidences -- even massive ones like this -- are bound to happen. Then they get picked up and amplified by the media and the Web. Of course we are going to sit up and take notice at this, but how many other people have bought large amounts of lottery tickets based on a dream or hunch and simply lost their money? We'll never know.

But I'm not willing to rule out "non-coincidental factors," either. We simply don't know.

In order to approach even the probability of being able to think whether this was a coincidence or not, we'd need to have stats on how many other people have played the lottery with multiple tickets on hunches/dreams, as well as stats on the total number of people who had ever won the lottery, the total number of tickets issued in this particular lottery, and so on. Then you'd have to do some math.

Still, though, as the OP notes, it really does make you stand back and think a bit.

[edit on 1/10/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Haha, yea, after reading that I almost wanted to take a nap. I thought it was interesting that he was so gung-ho with his gut feeling to buy 700 tickets. That's one feeling in your gut you don't want Pepto Bismal to get rid of, that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Dude, you sound like I normally do. Analyzing the whole mess so logically.
Keep up the good work.

And of course you are right, there may be a much higher percentage of people who do the same thing and fail, but it does make a good heart warming story none-the-less.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Yea definitely. While it was a cool story, I would not rule out the probability factor, and the fact that people do something to this extent everyday, and he was one of the few it worked for. I honestly don't know, nor do I claim to know. Could be luck, could be something more, but in the end, it is still very interesting.

I would like to know how often he plays, I remember reading a story a girl one a the jackpot on her first time ever playing. It's funny how something like a bunch of "random" numbers can instantly change your life. But some will argue that life is just a bunch of random numbers anyway.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What I think is that people worldwide are disillusioned with lotteries and tend these days to be highly sceptical and/or downright distrust them

For years, people believed 'you have to be in it to win it' and it was reported only a couple of years ago, that 30% of the US population had no retirement-plan, no savings, and were relying on 'a lottery win' to fund their later years

But then, despite something of an attempted media-black-out, stories got out concerning untrustworthy lotteries. These stories came from all corners of the globe. For example, in the UK, it came out that three large lottery winners had never existed. The organisers of the lotteries had publicly announced the 'winners' and had even 'identified' them. Only for it to become known that the 'winners' details had been false and NO one had received the money -- the organisers had kept it

For many years, buying a weekly (or multiple times weekly) lottery ticket was routine for billions of people, worldwide. But lotteries are feeling the pinch these days, just like everything else. People no longer believe that lotteries, even those which are supposedly 'government run and monitored', are to be trusted. I'm one of those people. Same with the 'luxury homes' type lotteries

To address the decline in revenue, lotteries are fighting back. And one of the means of doing so has been to run commericals for lotteries, all in the 'believe it or not' vein. For example, they use supposed 'real people' in the commercials, rather than glamour models. And these 'real people' actors are shown digging drains or making sandwiches as they tell the tv audience all about a supposed 'struggling single mother' or 'family down on their luck', who supposedly bought a ticket with their last few dollars .. or even 'found' a ticket, or were given one as a thank-you present ---- only to discover a few days later that they'd won 'TEN MILLION DOLLARS !!!!' ........... and of course, in these stories, the 'unlucky' peoples financial problems were OVER

Of course, these commercials are carefully crafted so that the average person will 'identify' with both the 'real person' telling this tale AND with the 'down on their luck' supposed 'winners'

The old 'man/woman had a dream that came true' scenario has been used to sell lottery tickets for decades. I remember when they were advertising like crazy to get the Pools and State Lotteries up and running in Australia. They used the 'man/woman had a dream of winning numbers that 'came true', quite often, in the beginniing

The lotteries concerned will carefully monitor the success or failure of their latest tv-campaign and discard the 'winner stories' that failed to increase lottery revenue and repeat those stories which resulted in thousand more people buying tickets after watching the tv-commercial or reading the 'true story' about these supposed 'lottery winners' in the media

Lotteries rake it billions of dollars. It's big business. And it relies for its continued fortune on convincing people to 'take a chance .. just a few dollars could change your family's life forever ' etc

Personally, I suspect that lotteries have become thoroughly corrupt and compromised in recent years in particular

I laugh at their 'incredible true stories' these days. 'They' have shown their true colours too often. People have lost their innocence and trust as as the governmental and other corporate liars and thieves are concerned

Sure, people will continue to buy tickets in the hope of getting something for almost nothing and 'making their dreams come true'

but more and more now, people are realising that most promises are empty. People are dropping the shallow dreams of decades past. And lottery corporations are desperate to pull the suckers back in

So, the 'had a dream' story might be true. But there's at least an equal chance that it's all fabrications

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Sure it's possible, I mean I don't personally know the guy, so I can't say either way with 100 percent certainty. If anyone reads this and knows him feel free to speak up.

While reading your response though, I couldn't help but think of a movie I recently watched called "The Island". With out giving away too much to those who haven't seen it, these people's lives were basically run by the hopes of winning the lottery and being freed, going to this place called the Island. Very good movie in my opinion for those who like movies about the future.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I don t belive in luck

There is no such thing. However there are odds that can be calculated.
The more complex a situation or combinations of situations become the harder it becomes to calculate since things prety soon become chaotic

However this doesn t mean that one would call chaos as luck...

Now for the real surprise

The greatest calculator of all times and times to be is the human mind

We do the calculations many atimes subconciusly.

The surprise ?

Sometimes we are aware of those calculation results and sometimes not.
In every case no matter if our calculation is right or not that subconcius result is affecting our reality and reality to be

If you are certain on something then it will most definitelly happen!

Right ?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
We don't know how many people had similar dreams, bought one or more tickets, and lost. They don't make the news unless they lose their life savings and then whine about it.
I hope he gets to enjoy the money and isn't eaten by the sharks.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
[edit on 10-1-2010 by Le Colonel]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TranscendencyNow

Thank you for your reply

I'll keep my eye open for the movie you mentioned: 'The Island'

As regards lotteries, etc., a few years ago I employed a young girl who told us that her grandfather, who'd been a lifelong gambler, had -- at age 76 --- finally achieved his dream by winning 3/4 million dollars

He told no-one initially. It was his secret. The girl told us that when the winning numbers were announced on tv, he was -- as always -- there in the dimly-lit living room with his elderly wife of many years. And as always, he made the usual 'bah ! ' sound in pretended disgust before staggering off to bed. His wife thought no more of it, other than as usual, his numbers had been losers again

Some months later, however, the wife learned (don't know how) of her spouse's windfall. Apparently, he'd promised it all to a priest at the local church, on the assurance that this good deed would ensure him a trouble-free pass to Heaven

The old man had been married twice, once in his native Italy and later, to an Italian woman living in Australia, where he'd moved as a migrant

He had two daughters from his first marriage and two from his second marriage. His daughters, in turn, each had several children of their own.

His home was delapidated and for years, his second-wife had worked as a cleaner to supplement her spouse's gambling addiction

All members of his two families had suffered want and limited opportunities because of his gambling and alcoholism. The lottery win could have provided his elderly wife and himself a far more comfortable existence in addition to assisting their grandchildren with their education, etc.

The old man instead chose to gift almost all his winnings to the Church in order he be spared what he believed would otherwise be a rough passage through the Afterlife, caused by what he believed were his many 'sins' lifelong

His grand-daughter said that the lottery win had divided the family even more than it had been before, to the point her mother was 'having a nervous breakdown'

Church must have been laughing all the way to the bank. And I guess everyone who heard of the old man's win would have decided they'd buy a few lottery tickets too, from now on

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TranscendencyNow

3.5 million!!!

Cool thread... My thoughts?

Well, a couple years ago I had a dream.. And in the dream I won like 25,000$ on a lottery ticket.. As soon as I woke up, I got on my bike and rode up to the store where I bought a 15$ ticket!
15 chances to win... So I get home and pull out my lucky penny and start scratching on the ticket...
And BAM! Each number matched the winning number! I have this thing.. Call it OCD..hehehe But I scratch the number first not the winning amount...
By this time, IM like OMG!! I did it!!! I matched all 15 numbers on that Card!!!
Wooo hoo!!!.. Now my hands shaking, I go to see what the dollar ammounts are under my matched numbers...
And guess what... Each match was worth 1$!!! LOL!!!

I won 15$...
While my dream told me I was going to win BIG.. the reality of what happened was just to sureal to me...

I really thought I was going to win BIG on this one...
AS I matched all 15 numbers... But they where only for 1$ each.....

Sigh... That just went to show me a few things....
We can dream, and we can manifest..
And some of us just have dumb luck..
And folks like me.. If it wasnt for bad luck.. Id have no luck at all!! heheh

But in the end.. I guess it was better than winning nothing.. and having my powerful dream meaningless...
But in the dream I won BIG... Yet in real life... I won.. But it wasnt like in my dream.. Yet it was REALLy damn close...

Well thats my story...

top topics

join